RECIPE: REC: Loved it! Mushroom-Parmesan Tart

RECIPE:

colleenmomof2

I made two 4.5" tarts in springform pans instead of the 9" with about 1/2 of the ingredients. I pulled my last Aldi refrigerated pie crust from the freezer, cut and pressed 2/3 of the crust into the pan bottoms and about 2/3rd of the way up the sides. I used 1 egg and half heavy cream and half fat-free half and half (2TBS and 2TBS vs 5.33/2TBS which was an extra tablespoon more than half). Used less than half of the parmesan (1.8oz) and next time I will use even less parmesan or maybe sub gruyere as someone suggested in TIPS copied. I also sprinkled about a teaspoon of bacon bits in with the onions as they sautéed. Reheated 1/2 of a tart for lunch and just as wonderful! Colleen

Mushroom-Parmesan Tart

FOR THE DOUGH:

* 2 â…“ cups/300 grams all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting

* 1 teaspoon kosher salt

* ½ teaspoon granulated sugar

* 1 cup/225 grams unsalted butter (2 sticks), cut into small pieces and chilled

* ¼ to ¾ cup ice water, as needed

FOR THE FILLING:

* 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

* 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced

* Kosher salt

* 1 ¼ pounds thinly sliced cremini mushrooms (about 8 cups)

* 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (from 4 sprigs fresh thyme)

* Black pepper

* 2 large eggs

* â…“ cup heavy cream

* 5 ounces Parmesan, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)

1. Prepare the dough: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and sugar. Add the butter and rub it into the flour between your fingers until the butter is in pea-size pieces and the mixture resembles a sandy meal. Add the ice water into the flour mixture 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring with your hands or a fork as you go. Add water until the dough forms a cohesive shaggy mass and most of the flour at the bottom of the bowl has been incorporated. Knead the dough in the bowl a few times if necessary, just until it holds together.

2. Divide the dough into 2 equal balls and flatten each into a 1-inch-thick disc. Wrap each in plastic, and transfer to the refrigerator to chill for at least 1 hour. (The dough may be stored in the refrigerator up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 1 month.)

3. Prepare the filling: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium. Add the onion, sprinkle with a pinch of salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent and slightly browned in spots, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.

4. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet and heat over medium. Add the mushrooms and thyme, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender and their liquid has evaporated, 8 to 12 minutes. Transfer to the large mixing bowl with the onion and let cool completely.

5. Take one disc of dough from the refrigerator and roll it out on a floured work surface into an 11-inch circle. Fit the crust into a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom (or a pie pan), trimming off or crimping any extra dough around the perimeter. Freeze the crust in the pan for 15 minutes or refrigerate for 1 hour. (If using a store-bought pie shell, pour the mushroom mixture into the crust and, using a spoon, spread it evenly.)

6. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and cream; season with salt and pepper. Pour into the bowl with the mushroom mixture, add the cheese and stir until combined. Transfer the mixture into the prepared tart pan and spread it into an even layer using a rubber spatula.

7. Bake tart for about 40 minutes, until the crust and filling are golden-brown. Let cool 10 minutes in the pan, then serve hot.

COOKING TIPS

I made the crust, and was worried that the recipe didn't ask for a pre-bake, but it baked beautifully without it.

This is really good! French-tasting. Used a store-bought crust, and followed all the directions with no deviations. Pay attention to timing, since you need to bring onions/mushroom mixture to room temp before you mix in with cheese, eggs, and cream. Used fresh oregano. Onions have a bit of crunch, very appealing. Served with a dollop of sour cream and a green salad. Raves from the whole family (a rare occurrence).

Make or buy the pastry line the pan cover and refrigerate. Cook the onions and shrooms, refrigerate that. Add the egg part next day and bake

In search of cremini mushrooms I came to learn that they are commonly called baby bellas. Wish I had known that at my first stop.

I only added .22 lb of parm (just shy of 4oz) but it seemed like enough

This was absolutely amazing! The crust was spot on, and can't wait to use the other one that's awaiting us in the freezer. It took a bit less than 2 lbs. of mushrooms to make the 8 cups. Seemed like way too much at the store, but they cooked down to be the perfect amount. Used 1/2 & 1/2 instead of heavy cream because that's what we had. Added a couple of ounces of crisped bacon, and no additional salt. Used 5 oz gruyere, with a dusting of grated parmesan. So, cheated a bit, but loved it!

You can fit the rolled-out crust into a 9-inch springform pan and press it up the sides a bit. You won't get the pretty fluting around the edge, but it will be easy to unclip and remove the sides after baking.

I have made this several times and it never disappoints. I replace 1/2 cup flour in the crust with 1/2 finely grated parmesan reggiano

I used bacon fat instead of olive oil because, well, it tastes good. I put the bacon in the accompanying salad. All told, a very satisfying meal.

Next time, I will pre-bake the pie shell. I didn’t this time, and I think it would have been better pre-baked.

Use olive oil crust with thyme. Glass pie plate. Swiss, sour cream.

The only real complaint we have about this recipe is that it makes two crusts--which seems really unnecessary considering that you can easily make one with the right measurements. Otherwise, it's delicious. Prep goes fairly quickly if you cut the onion and all the mushrooms on the mandoline. And it's good for make-ahead because they need to cool after cooking anyway. Needed a bit longer in the oven. Filling yet light: Yum.

Could use four eggs and a little more cream.

Mix mushroom and onions with the egg mixture before pouring in. I added mushrooms to tart case first then attempted to pour egg mix on top. Needed to ‘fork’ it in to mix.

hink it would have been great if served right out of oven. Used a store bought, non-lard crust which worked well. Would make again.

used extra mushrooms, so ended up adding an additional egg and a little more cream. Kudos from everyone who had it.

Used pre-made crust and added some chopped sauteed spinach.

I just ate the remaining mushroom-onion combo while it was cooking in the oven. Leave time for onion/mushroom mixture to come to room temp.

I was worried about whether the crust would be soggy - not at all. It was perfect.

I will pre-bake crust next time, was a bit soggy in center. I recommend placing a foil-lined sheet on a lower oven shelf. Butter came out of the crust and burned on oven floor.

Made the crust in the food processor.

Used only 1 pound of mushrooms and a couple tablespoons of fresh oregano (managed to goof my shopping list) the only change I made was to brush the crust before filling with dijon, something I do before filling all pie crust items. Didn't have a soggy crust.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019945-mushroom-parmesan-tart?campaign_id=58&emc=edit_ck_20200608&instance_id=19181&nl=cooking&regi_id=111680905&segment_id=30355&te=1&user_id=21346a55c8cf58ea52a1af3f8efc0a10

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2019/01/23/dining/KM-mushroom-parmesan-tart/merlin_149237076_e1820641-0867-419c-81ff-60951beef849-articleLarge.jpg

Back