Rec. Mom's Popovers - Simple and great

foodmuse

Here are my mom's popover recipes. these get nice height, crispy outside and moist flaky inside.

Popovers

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour

•1/8 tsp baking Powder

•1/2 teaspoon salt

•2 large eggs

1 cup Whole milk

1 Tablespoon melted butter

Preheat the oven to 450°F. Add muffin pan or popover pan to preheat this as well.

Bring eggs and milk to room temperature by setting out earlier or putting eggs in a bowl of warm water and setting a glass of milk in a larger container filled with warm water.

No need to sift, but I do use my measuring cup to scoop up flour and then dump it back in a few times to introduce some air into the flour. Spoon the flour into a cup and level it off with a knife.

Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.

Stir in milk with a whisk until just incorporated.

Whisk eggs and melted butter. Add to dry ingredients stirring only until just mixed. Small lumps are ok.

Remove pan from oven and hit cups with Canola Spray or rub with butter.

Fill the cups 3/4 full with the batter.

Bake the popovers at 450°F for 15 minutes. Don’t peek and reduce the heat to 350°F and bake for another 15-20 minutes. Popover will rise and crisp.

Makes 6 popovers.

Excellent! I've never made popovers, but a T&T recipe is what I need. What do you... (m)

like to fill them with?

I've read where a hot popover with butter is a purists delight. Also, I've heard crab bisque or even chicken a la king is good.

Butter and jam?

What do you like?

Michael

Back