RECIPE: REC: Oat Flour Bread -- WONDERFUL!......

RECIPE:

barbara-in-va

Made this tonight in my quest for "healthier" treats. I am really suprised at how good it is. The raisins and nuts make the bread. AND, since it is not a very sweet bread, it is perfect for a generous slather of homemade jam!

Oat Flour Bread

Source: Williams Sonoma Baking

1 C flour, plus extra for dusting

1 C oat flour (I processed oatmeal to a very fine consistency)

1/4 C brown sugar

2 t baking powder

1/2 t baking soda

1/2 t salt

1 C buttermilk

1 egg

1/4 C olive oil, plus extra for greasing

1/4 C raisins

1/4 C chopped walnuts or almonds

Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease an 8x8x4 loaf pan and dust with flour (I sprayed with Crisco spray and skipped the flour, bread just dropped out of the pan)

In a bowl, stir together the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, egg, and olive oil until smooth. Stir in the raisins and nuts. Add to the combined dry ingredients and stir just until blended.

Pour and scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake until a thin wooden skewer inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, about 50 minutes (I baked in a glass pan and it was ready in 45 minutes). Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Enjoy!

Thanks Barbara. I'd love to see more like these quick breads as I am on the same quest

& find that it's so easy to slice for breakfast that there's no excuse for missing it.

I did a loaf with fresh whole cranberries last week just by throwing things together. I need to do some tweaking to reduce the sugar.

I have some great quick bread recipes >>

Cinnamon Quick Bread (posted in Favorites), Strawberry Bread, Chocolate Cranberry Bread, Moist Cornbread (slightly sweet), Banana Wheat Bread, Apple Nut Bread. These are all T&T, not too sweet, just sweet enough, and fairly low in fat. Let me know if you're interested in any of these.

Oooh absolutely. I am looking to do a strawberry one tomorrow. that's a lot of recipes for you to

post but could you just do the strawberry one first please and thank you?

Here ya go, Marg

Note: Sweet strawberries are a must for this recipe - it's very strawberry-ey as opposed to others that just have a hint of strawberry. So it's important to use tasty strawberries - if the strawberries are tasteless, the bread won't be up to par. If they're good, the bread will be fantastic.

If you want any of the other recipes, let me know - it's not a problem to post them, I just copy and paste.

STRAWBERRY BREAD

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, coarsely chopped (make sure the strawberries are sweet)
3/4 cup sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted (1/2 stick)
1 teaspoon vanilla

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 F (325 F for dark pans). Lightly grease a loaf pan.

In small bowl combine strawberries and 1/2 cup sugar. Set aside for 1 hour. Drain; reserve liquid and strawberries in separate bowls.

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix eggs, butter, vanilla, remaining 1/4 cup of sugar, and reserved liquid from berries.

Make a well in the center of the dry mixture. Add the liquid mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in the strawberries.

Pour the batter into loaf pan, and bake in the middle of the oven for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool in the pan on a wire rack around 15-20 minutes; then invert loaf directly onto wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Note: For muffins, preheat oven to 400 F. (375 F for dark pans). Spoon into greased muffin cups and bake 15-20 minutes. Serve warm.

From ORB

I thought I might try this with cinnamon chips, but I can't find any up here smileys/frown.gif

Marg, this was at Gails' a while back--REC: Zucchini-Pecan Flaxseed Bread

I have made it many times and I find it just as good as the Oat Flour Bread.

Zucchini-Pecan Flaxseed Bread
From Cooking Light

Ground flaxseed is a novel addition to this dense and sweet breakfast bread. You can freeze individual slices on a baking sheet, then transfer to a zip-top plastic bag to keep in the freezer for up to two months. On hurried mornings, grab a slice, and defrost by microwaving at HIGH for 30 seconds to one minute.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)
1 cup vanilla low-fat yogurt
1/2 cup egg substitute
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
Cooking spray
3 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted

Preheat oven to 350°.

Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, granulated sugar, and next 7 ingredients (through nutmeg) in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk.

Spread zucchini onto several layers of heavy-duty paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Press down firmly to remove excess liquid.

Combine yogurt, egg substitute, oil, and vanilla in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Stir in zucchini.

Add zucchini mixture and 1/4 cup pecans to flour mixture, stirring until well combined. Pour batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle batter with 3 tablespoons pecans. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove bread from pan; place on wire rack.

Yield: 1 loaf, 18 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 181(30% from fat); FAT 6.1g (sat 0.6g,mono 2.9g,poly 2.2g); PROTEIN 4.5g; CHOLESTEROL 1mg; CALCIUM 90mg; SODIUM 223mg; FIBER 2.6g; IRON 1.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 28.5g

Melissa B. Williams
Cooking Light, MAY 2005

Here's one Cyndi posted at Gail's--REC: Earth Bread

This is another one that I have made many times because it is so good!

REC: Earth Bread

I've had this recipe for years, and finally
made it. This is so awesome! Going to make
more so my DH can take some into work this
Friday. I hope you folks will try it...

CYH

Earth Bread

3 eggs
1 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla (I used 1 1/2 tsp.)
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (I used Penzey's
Vietnamese)
3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 cups whole wheat flour (King Arthur)
1 cup AP flour
1 cup grated zucchini
1/2 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup mashed bananas
1/2 cup chopped nuts (used walnuts)

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour two
5x9x3-inch loaf pans. Set aside.

Mix eggs, oil, vanilla and sugar in large
mixing bowl. Add baking soda, baking
powder, salt, cinnamon and pumpkin pie
spice. Stir in flours. Mix well. Stir in
zucchini, carrots, bananas and nuts. Pour
batter into prepared loaf pans.

Bake for 35-40 minutes. Makes 2 loaves.

This one is on my "to try" list--REC: Whole Wheat Walnut Bread

Whole Wheat Walnut Bread
Source: Williams Sonoma Baking

1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
1 C flour
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 C buttermilk
1/3 C canola oil
1/3 C molasses
1 C chopped walnuts, toasted

Preheat of to 350°F. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan and dust with flour.

In a bowl, stir together the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, oil, and molasses until smooth. Stir in the walnuts. Add to the combined dry ingredients and stir just until blended.

Pour and scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake until a thin wooden skewer inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clear, about 55 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

(To me, this recipe "reads" like some chopped dates or figs added with the nuts would be a fine addition!)

Meryl, I have your Cornbread recipe , so would you mind (m)

posting the other bread recipes mentioned? I enjoy making quick breads, as they do not take too much time to prepare and most are delicious.
Also they are easy to keep in the freezer in case company drops in unexpectedly.
TIA for you help and time.

Here are the three recipes:

CHOCOLATE CRANBERRY BREAD

I reduced the fat and salt as noted, and it still was moist and great-tasting. The first time I made this, I used dried cherries instead of cranberries. I've also made this without any fruit at all.

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (I used 1/4 tsp)
3/4 cup sour cream (I used 3/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp nonfat plain yogurt)
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
6 tablespoons butter, softened (I used 5 Tbsp)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (I used 1 tsp)
1 cup fresh OR frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped (I used 2/3 cup dried cherries soaked in hot water for 15 minutes, then drained)
2 bars (1.5 ounces each) Godiva Dark Chocolate, coarsely chopped (or 3 oz. good quality semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped) (I used 1-2 Tbsp mini chocolate chips)

Mascarpone cheese or cream cheese for serving (optional) (I omitted this)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. (325 F for dark pans). Butter bottom and sides of 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Stir together sour cream and cocoa in a small bowl until blended.
3. Beat butter in mixing bowl until creamy, using electric mixer at medium speed. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and sour cream mixture, mixing just until combined. Stir in cranberries and chopped chocolate. Turn batter into prepared loaf pan..
4. Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of bread comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove pan and cool completely on wire rack

To serve: Slice bread and serve with mascarpone or cream cheese.

From Godiva

APPLE NUT BREAD

Yield: 12 servings

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 Tbsp. (1 1/2 tsp) baking soda
1/2 Tbsp. (1 1/2 tsp) ground cinnamon
1 egg
2 Tbsp. oil
1 cup applesauce (I use unsweetened)
1 cup chopped nuts

Instructions:
Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add egg, oil and applesauce and blend well. Add nuts. Pour batter into greased 5 x 9" loaf or 12-cup muffin pan. Bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Test with toothpick.

BANANA WHEAT BREAD

This is a very hearty quick bread.

Ingredients
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas, around 4 1/2 medium (*use very ripe ones) - can use a little more if desired.
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 - 1/2 chopped nuts (*pecans* or walnuts)(I used pecans)

Directions:
1. Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Decrease temperature by 25 degrees for dark pans.
2. Mix together oil, honey, eggs, vanilla, and mashed bananas in a medium bowl.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, wheat germ, salt, and baking soda. Make a well in dry ingredients, then add the banana mixture. Mix together just until blended. Do not overmix. Stir in nuts. Pour batter into pan.
4. Bake about one hour in middle of oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Cool on wire rack.

Adapted from Allrecipes

Back