REC: Pecan Caramels

michael-in-phoenix

Not sure if I've posted this before, but I found this recipe online a few years back and started making them for Christmas. I still make them every year at the holidays, but during the year as well. My local fire station LOVES THEM, and we will be packaging them up in little gift boxes for Bryeson's wedding rehearsal dinner this Friday.

From the family that this recipe came from: "Make a pot of coffee or fix a drink, this takes a while! It's worth it though-this recipe is a family favorite and we always get requests for gifts of these chewy caramels." Darrell Brown, Lincoln, Nebraska

Caramel Pecans

TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 40 min. + standing
YIELD: 4-1/4 pounds.

Ingredients

2 teaspoons plus 1 cup butter, divided
1-1/4 cups sugar
1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup dark corn syrup
2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
2 pounds toasted, chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

1. Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil; grease the foil with 2 teaspoons butter and set aside.

2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugars, corn syrup, 1 cup cream and the remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil. Slowly stir in the remaining cream.

Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 245° (firm-ball stage).

3. Remove from the heat; stir in pecans and vanilla. Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan). Let stand until firm.

Using foil, lift candy out of pan. Discard foil; cut candy into 1-in. squares. Wrap individually in waxed paper or cellophane and twist ends.

Not sure if I've posted this before, but I found this recipe online a few years back and started making them for Christmas. I still make them every year at the holidays, but during the year as well. My local fire station LOVES THEM, and we will be packaging them up in little gift boxes for Bryeson's wedding rehearsal dinner this Friday.

From the family that this recipe came from: "Make a pot of coffee or fix a drink, this takes a while! It's worth it though-this recipe is a family favorite and we always get requests for gifts of these chewy caramels." Darrell Brown, Lincoln, Nebraska

Caramel Pecans

TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 40 min. + standing
YIELD: 4-1/4 pounds.

Ingredients

2 teaspoons plus 1 cup butter, divided
1-1/4 cups sugar
1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup dark corn syrup
2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
2 pounds toasted, chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

1. Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil; grease the foil with 2 teaspoons butter and set aside.

2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugars, corn syrup, 1 cup cream and the remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil. Slowly stir in the remaining cream.

Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 245° (firm-ball stage).

3. Remove from the heat; stir in pecans and vanilla. Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan). Let stand until firm.

Using foil, lift candy out of pan. Discard foil; cut candy into 1-in. squares. Wrap individually in waxed paper or cellophane and twist ends.
Congrats on the upcoming wedding Michael!

Back