RECIPE: REC: Potato Paillaisson (like gourmet hashbrowns.) I made this for the first time last night .>

RECIPE:

joe

After chatting above about French cookbooks I took down a favorite, Richard Olney's SIMPLE FRENCH FOOD (1974). Some of the best recipes in the book are hidden in parentheses among Olney's eccentric rambling, as in this paragraph about rinsing potatoes:

"The question of rinsing potatoes or not is not one of personal preference; it is dictated by the type of a given preparation. One of my preferred garnishes for grilled or roast meats or fowl is a potato paillasson (sometimes called pommes Dauphin: a mass of potatoes passed through the medium blade of a Mouli-julienne, well rinsed in a couple of waters, rapidly drained, spread out on a towel, rolled tightly up, squeezed dry, and packed into a heated omelet pan containing lots of butter, cooked covered over a low flame for 20 minutes or until the bottom is golden crisp, flipped--or unmolded onto a plate and slipped back into the pan to which a bit more butter has been added--and cooked, uncovered, for another 18 or 20 minutes before being slipped onto a hot serving platter). Repeatedly, friends who have asked for the recipe have complained that it does not work for them and repeatedly, after stubborn questioning, they have admitted refusing to rinse and dry the potatoes "because all that chi-chi doesn't really make any difference." In fact, that chi-chi is responsible for the voluptuous smoothness contained cleanly within the still sharply defined julienne texture (assuming the potatoes to be not of an inferior, mealy, soup variety). Left unrinsed, the inside of the cake will be unpleasantly glutinous and the outside will stick to the pan (one friend, thanks to Teflon, had no trouble with sticking but the outer casing, falling short of golden crispness, seemed to be of gray leather). Any raw potatoes, cut to whatever form, that are destined to be sauteed should be well rinsed and wiped dry if only to prevent sticking"

Whew. I used 4 russet potatoes (a 2-1/2 lb. bag from Trader Joe's) and about a half stick of butter in all (I'd use a little more for company.) I grated the potatoes in the processor, did "all that chi-chi," added a little salt, and used a plain 9" cast-iron skillet. It worked perfectly, and it was to die for.

What's chi-chi, Joe? The procedure of rinsing? I never rinse...

mine and make them in much the same way. They come out great, although I don't use that much butter. (oh oh, here we go again ;o))

Yes. I guess Olney's friends thought the repeated rinsing was a bit too fussy>>

He was a very eccentric author, but I love his books and recipes.

I haven't had problems with sticking but when I've cooked grated potatoes sometimes they've come out tough and gluey. I'm sure a lot depends on the potato, but this dish was really crisp and delicate, despite how thick it was.

As long as you don't use margarine I won't preach, LOL! (It was only 1 tbs. per potato, and it would have served four if the two of us hadn't gobbled the whole thing up ourselves. But adding the rest of the stick would have made it divine.)

You know, now that you mention it...

I usually freeze mine, which makes the water come out of them. And hen I squeeze them, I suppose it's like rinsing them off. Good point! From now on if I don't freeze, I'll rinse. Removes some of the starch I guess (bad for me, watching carbs).

And with all the carbs your saving >>>

you can use more butter!

I would never have thought of freezing them first. I really think the extra starch is what was turning my hash browns into rubber.

Right, I made a successful version of this last night YUM!.....

I bought some French potatoes that are for making French Fries/chips and went about it the way discussed by Joe ...I grated them in the processor and then rinsed and washed and soaked and drained very dry.
I used a cast iron pan and about a stick of butter, salted the layer well
The Tweak:.... sort like the post above with cream cheese blobs and fresh thyme and then another layer of salted potatoe. Crisped up beautifully, turned it over and crisped up the bottom layer. We just LOVED it all. Crispy and soft and OH so good.
I could never make this for a dinner party.... we usually have 8 to sit down and one large fry pan barely gave three of us enough of the 'cake' to scoff.....I'd have to make quite a few pans to please everyone with a fair (large)sized portion, it's really good.

Yes Ruth, didn't want them to go bad and I had all we needed at the time...

I was wondering if they would all stick/mush together when I froze them ("oops, maybe I should have cooked them first", etc.), but when I thawed them out I was pleasantly suprised - just like I put them in.

Thank Dawn - that's good to know. I didn't think you could freeze raw potato...

I know that cooked potatoes (i.e. in soup) change in texture once frozen.

Back