RECIPE: Rec: Spicy Peanut Sauce

RECIPE:

lin_in_seattle

The talk about sesame noodles reminded me of this recipe. No, it's not "authentic," but it's the best peanut sauce I've ever had, bar none, and I've tried many many kinds and from good asian restaurants as well. Friends ask me to make along with cold chinese noodles, often. It's great to use as a dip for veggies, as well, or even on ham.

Spicy Peanut Sauce

makes 2 1/2 cups

1/4 cup tea, cooled

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

1/4 cup soy sauce

1 cup smooth peanut butter

2 tablespoons sesame oil

1 cup mayonnaise

2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon chili paste with garlic

Combine the tea, vinegar, and soy sauce. Slowly mix them with the peanut butter until smooth. Drizzle the sesame oil into the peanut butter mixture. Add the mayonnaise, mustard, and cayenne Blend the chili paste slowly. Refrigerate until ready to use. (Tightly covered, the sauce will keep up for two weeks.)

Source: The New Carry-Out Cuisine, Phyllis Meras, 1986. This book has some excellent recipes in it from various take out places in the US. The peanut sauce recipe came from one called Indiana Market & Catering.

My notes: I add more cayenne and chili paste, but I like it very spicy. I also add a couple of garlic cloves. Also, once I was in a hurry and forgot to follow the directions about blending everything and tossed it all into the food processor, and it worked perfectly and that's how I make it all the time now. Also, I'm sure it would last at least two weeks, but it never has made it longer than 3 or 4 days.

Mia, let me know if you do and what you think. I know it looks

really unorthodox and when I first saw the recipe I thought...no way...but the cookbook is really good and reliable...and this is not only easy to make, but truly outstanding. I've been asked for the recipe many many times and no one has ever complained or not liked it.

Back