Tuscan Sea Salt
Ingredients:
1/4 cup chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh sage leaves
2 T chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 T chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 T chopped fresh oregano leaves
17-18 ounces fine Mediterranean sea salt
(I use Morton or Alessi fine Mediterranean Sea Salt)
2 medium garlic cloves
1 teaspoon fine ground black pepper
Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 200˚F. Set aside a 12x18-inch sheet pan.
  2. Combine all of the chopped herbs in the bowl of a food processor (I use my mini food processor). Add ¼ cup of the fine sea salt. Pulse until everything is finely chopped and the consistency is like slightly damp sand.
  3. Add the garlic cloves and pulse again until the garlic is invisible and well incorporated. The texture at this point will be more like wet sand.
  4. Combine the remaining fine sea salt and the herb mixture on the 12x18-inch sheet pan. Be sure to scrape out all the good herb stuff from the sides and bottom of the food processor bowl. Add the pepper and, using your hands, mix until well combined. It should be a pretty green color at this point.
  5. Place in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Turn off the oven, allowing the mixture to cool and continue to dry out for another 30-60 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
Rub the mixture with your hands to break up any lumps. Any smaller lumps can be crushed with the back of a spoon. Transfer to airtight storage jars when completely cooled. Sprinkle it on everything (well, maybe not ice cream or brownies!).

Thank you, D! My "as yet unplanted because Mother Nature's quasi substitute Marilyn is too lazy" herbs are perfect for that. I have parsley in the refrigerator and steaks ready for guests.

(I still remember your Campbell soup window sill herb containers).

herbs.jpg

Back