Recipe & Question: Blackened Scallops with Raspberry-Jalapeño Coulis

richard-in-cincy

The question follows this recipe that I’d like to make.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Appetizer

BLACKENED SCALLOPS WITH RASPBERRY-JALAPEÑO COULIS

Catherine’s Restaurant, Unionville

Serves 2

FOR COULIS

2 whole jalapeños, finely chopped

4 T. oil

1 cup fresh raspberries

¼ cup white wine

FOR SCALLOPS

½ lb. sea scallops (3-5 scallops)

1 cup blackened seasoning (equal parts chili powder,

garlic, cumin, paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper)

COULIS: Sauté jalapeños in oil over medium heat until soft. Add fresh raspberries to pan with white wine. Reduce until mixture is soft (about 4 minutes). Let cool for half hour and blend mixture in food processor until smooth. Refrigerate coulis until it gels.

SCALLOPS: Coat scallops with blackening seasoning and pan-sear on high heat for 1 minute on each side. Drizzle raspberry-jalapeño coulis over scallops and serve.

Pennsylvania’s Official

WINE SPIRITS QUARTERLY

Winter 2006

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Okay, I know there’s a mistake in the amount of blackened seasoning – one cup is way too much. I made it using ½ tsp. portions to cover a thick pork chop with some leftover using Indian chili powder. It’s pretty good and I’ve also used it in some scrambled eggs with a slice of provolone cheese. I know the Indian chili powder is probably too hot for this appetizer and so I’ll use “domestic” chili powder.

Dumb Question? “Refrigerate coulis until it gels.” Do I then warm it up or is it meant to be served chilled?

Sandy, sounds to me like it might be a garnish, to "squiggle" on plate with the warm scallops? No?

The photo shows drizzled fine threads of coulis on top of the scallops and as

a base with fresh raspberries as a garnish. Just wondering if I should heat it up, serve cold, or at room temperature. No, it's not a $100 a plate "fru-fru" squiggle... lol!

If it was me I'd probably store in the refrigerator, but use at room temp...

seems it would be easier to pour/squeeze that way.

Back