Roman Gnocchi

marilynfl

from The Food of Italy, recipes by Sophie Braimbridge and Jo Glynn, photographs by Chris L. Jones.

Whitecap Books.

NOTE: These can be prepared 1-2 days ahead up to the casserole stage. Store well covered in frig. When ready to bake, add the topping and a bit more baking time since they will be colder.

Gnocchi:

3 TBL unsalted butter

1/3 C Parmesan, grated

3 egg yolks

4 cups whole milk

pinch of nutmeg (ah, those Italians...they'll get in a pinch anyway they can)

1 1/2 C semolina flour

Topping:

3 TBL butter, melted

1/3 C heavy cream

1/3 C Parmesan cheese, grated.

Line 12x10 jelly roll pan with parchment.

Beat lightly first set of butter, cheese and yolks. Set aside

Heat the milk to just boiling, add nutmeg and season with salt/pepper. Pour in the flour, stirring constantly (like making polenta or grits)

Reduce heat and cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring constantly. Milk should absorb and pull away from wall of pan in one piece.

Remove from heat. Add eggs and when smooth, pour into pan. Smooth to get an even surface (knife dipped in cold water helps.) Set aside to cool.

Preheat oven to 350. Gree 10x17 shallow casserole.

Lift the slab off the pan and remove parchment. (Mar's Note: I think just flipping onto a second cookie sheet to remove the paper and cut would be easier.) Cut into circles, using 1.5" biscuit cutter dipped in cold water. Arrange in rows in the casserole, slightly overlapping the circles.

Blend second set of butter and cream and pour over gnocchi. Sprinkle on cheese. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden.

Had I realized you can cut them out and don't have to make them individually by hand, I'd have been making gnocchis?...gnocchies?... (how the heck do you pluralize this word?)...many more gnocchi than I have made. Which was only once. But they (ricotta gnocchi) were really, really good.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/Finer_Kitchens/scan0001-1.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/Finer_Kitchens/scan0003-1.jpg

Looks good to me!

And, just for informational purposes...gnocchi is plural.

Luisa, I also like the baker. I may have to try and make one.

Maria, this was an old post of mine from 2009. The gnocchi batter (dough? paste?) is spread and hardens in a 10x12 pan. Once firm, circles are punched out and layered like shingles in a smaller dish (I'd say 9x11). Then the cream and cheese are added and the entire thing is baked. The original recipe said 3 per person, but L & I had loads more. I've been looking at old photos and can't find this one. It was actually a snapshot from the original cookbook. That's why everyone is mentioned the dish.

I like that white ceramic baker too.
Marilyn, I got myself all ready to make this and (as I should have before) then noticed that there is no potato in this. I have potatoes crawling all over the counter with nowhere to go. I always found the thrill of gnocchi to be the special texture that potato added.
I am going to await your report. (so will my potatoes)
I am kinda anxious to make this. So I'm thinking that I might make a regular recipe for the dough, with potatoes and use the rest of your recipe once the dough is done.

Back