Seeking two old Bon Appetit recipes...

marc-in-seattle

Hi guys!

About 8-10 years ago Bon Appetit had a French Bistro issue with a couple of recipes I've made many times and can no longer find. I recall the cover having a mustard and mustard seed-glazed chicken breast on the cover, along with haricot verts and mashed potatoes.

The two recipes Im seeking are the cover recipe for the chicken and a carmelized onion tart elsewhere in the same issue. Neither of them are on Epi.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Marc

Found this online...

I'm not sure if this is the one you're looking for, but the poster used the original filling and a different crust. Hopefully someone here will be able to find the full recipe for you. Meanwhile...

Caramelized Onion And Garlic Tart

This comes from a September 1993 issue of Bon Appetit. I replaced the crust recipe with one I got from my brother-in-law Sam Douglas, a professional chef, and have adapted it over time. The measurements for the pastry are by weight, so that the results are consistent. This is a very sexy tart.

CRUST

4½ ounces unbleached all-purpose flour
4½ ounces cake flour
4 ounces frozen unsalted butter, cut into cubes
2 ounces chilled solid vegetable shortening
3 ounces ice water

FILLING

2 tablespoons olive oil
2½ pounds onions, chopped
10 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 large fresh thyme sprig, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
1 bay leaf
½ cup dry white wine
1 cup packed shredded Gruyre cheese ( about 4 ounces )

For crust: Combine flour, butter and shortening in a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse the on/off switch until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Blend in the water one tablespoon at a time until the dough forms moist clumps. Gather the dough in a ball, flatten it into a disk, and wrap it in plastic. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. (Dough can be prepared 4 days ahead. Let it soften slightly before continuing.)

Preheat the oven to 400. Roll out dough on a floured surface (I use a pastry cloth) to a 12-inch round. Roll up dough on rolling pin, and transfer it to a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Press dough into pan and trim the edges. Poke some holes in the dough with a fork. Freeze for 15 minutes.

Line crust with foil and fill with beans or pie weights. Bake until set. Remove foil and weights. Continue baking until crust is golden brown, piercing with a fork if crust bubbles, about 15 minutes longer. Transfer to a rack, and cool completely.

For filling: Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, thyme and bay leaf and cook until onions brown and mixture is jam-like, stirring occasionally, about 50 minutes. Add wine; stir until all liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Cool. (Crust and filling can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover separately; let stand at room temperature.)

Preheat oven to 400. Remove thyme sprig and bay leaf from filling. Stir in the cheese. Transfer filling to crust. Bake until filling is brown, about 20 minutes. Remove pan sides from tart. Serve warm or at room temperature.

http://www.jimphotoglo.com/recipesSPR2000.htm

This could be it: Mustard-Pepper Chicken with Herb Sauce >>

It's really good, even if it's not the one you're looking for. In fact, I'm making it for a catering gig on Friday:

MUSTARD-PEPPER CHICKEN WITH HERB SAUCE

from Bon Appetit, 9/93

2 tbs. butter
5 shallots, coarsly chopped
5 large mushrooms, quartered
5 tsp. cracked black pepper
1 cup dry white wine
5 fresh rosemary sprigs or 1/2 tsp. dried
5 fresh thyme sprigs or 1/2 tsp. dried
2 cups chicken stock or canned broth

8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 Tbs. whole yellow mustard seeds

1/2 tsp. minced fresh thume or 1/4 tsp. dried

Mashed Potatoes
Steamed Green Beans

Melt 1 tbs. pf the butter om large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute shallots and mushrooms with 1 tsp. of the peper until browned, about 8 minutes. Add wine and bring to boil. Add rosemary and thyme and simmer 5 minutes. Add stock, increase heat and boil until liquid is reduced to 3/4 cup, about 20 minutes. Strain into saucepan. (Sauce can be made up to 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Prepare barbecue or preheat broiler. Sprinkle remaing 4 tsp. pepper over both sides of chicken. Grill or broil until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.

Preheat broiler. Brush mustard over chicken. Sprinkle with mustard seeds Broil until brown, about 2 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring sauce to simmer. Add thyme and remaining 1 tbs. butter. Whisk until melted.

Divide chicken among plates. Spoon sauce around chicken. Serve with potatoes and green beans.

You're welcome. It really is tasty, easy, and quite healthy >>

IF you resist the temptation to add many more tablespoons of butter to the sauce.

What a coincidence. I had it typed on my computer but hadn't made it in years >>

I had just rediscovered it and printed it out the other day. Maybe something in the air is making us all crave mustard!

Seriously...

I used to make these two recipes all the time. It was one of the first "adult" meals I made for my friends when we were all young and po and typically saving the money we had to buy large jugs of wine instead of investing in good food to go with it! I'm thrilled to get these recipes again and will be making both tonight! My only modification is that I will be adding some julienned oven-dried tomatoes to the tart, (because they are delish in general and always go well with carmelized onions, IMHO) but if you havent had it before, it's awesome as it's written as well.

Thanks again and have a great weekend

Marc

Back