sherri in IN sorry it took so long- I had to be gone for a while. REC Lentil Pate

CathyZ

There are two Lentil Pate recipes in the cookbook so I will give both of them to you here. I have not made either of these recipes but will say the second one looks more interesting flavor-wise:

Lentil Pate

The Vegetarian Times Cookbook

1 small onion, minced

3 T olive oil

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 eggs, beaten

2 cups cooked lentils

1/2 tsp basil

1/2 tsp paprika

1/4 tsp nutmeg

Turmeric and cumin to taste

1 tsp herb salt

1 T nutritional yeast

1/4 cup chopped parsley

1 cup grated swiss cheese

1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (soft, not dry)

Saute onion in oil until limp. Add garlic and saute for 3 minutes. Combine eggs with lentils. Add garlic-onion mixture, seasonings, yeast, parsley and cheese. Add bread crumbs gradually, using only enough to make mixture firm enough to form a ball. Press pate into an oiled loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until firm. Serve hot or cold. Serves 4.

Lentil Pate II

The Vegetarian Times Cookbook

(my note: they ask for a 9" square pan instead of loaf pan- my guess is because of the extra liquid brought in by the tomatoes. Maybe it would be too hard to cook the liquid out in a loaf pan)

1-1/2 cups dry lentils

1 bay leaf

vegetable broth or water

2 eggs, slightly beaten

1 cup chopped onions

3 T butter

1 clove garlic, minced

2 medium-sized tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped (drain if canned)

1 cup grated hard cheese (parmesan, romano, gruyere)

4T chopped parsley

1/4 tsp dried basil

1/4 tsp paprika

1/4 tsp pepper

pinch each of nutmeg, turmeric and cumin

1 tsp salt

1 cup (may need more) bread crumbs (soft, not dry)

Simmer lentils with bay leaf in just enough broth or water to cover. Stir frequently. Add hot broth as needed. After about 40 minutes, all liquid should be absorbed and lentils cooked. Remove bay leaf. Allow to cool. Add eggs and mix.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Saute onions in butter and add garlic when onions are translucent. Add to lentils, together with all other ingredients including 1 cup bread crumbs, and mix thoroughly. Grease a 9" square baking dish about 3" deep. Sprinkle with additional bread crumbs all around. Fill with lentil mixture and bake at 375 degrees about 1 hour or until an inserted knife comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Serves 4

Cathy, you are so kind. Many thanks. I think it's the second one that I wanted(more)

This is such a good meat substitute and it makes delicious sandwiches. I appreciate your help.

You are welcome. May I offer another T&T REC Lentil Burgers With Rice too?

These are delicious. Sometimes I change the herbs or add wasabi-

LENTIL BURGERS WITH RICE (serves 2)
Serve these with slices of onion, tomato or cheese on a bun

1 C raw lentils, cooked by package directions and refrigerated overnight
2 C raw brown rice, cooked by package directions and refrigerated overnight
1/2 C unsalted and hulled sunflower seeds
1/2 C walnuts or cashews
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 medium onion
3 cloves garlic
1 small green bell pepper
2 stalks celery
2 carrots
1/2 C rolled oats
1 tsp each: pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper, celery seed, basil, thyme
salt to taste

Chop nuts, onion, garlic, green pepper, celery and carrots fine. Add to rice and lentils and mix. Add remaining ingredients and make patties.
Sauté in 1 T each butter and vegetable oil on both sides.

Cathy, how would your serve this pate?......

Can it be served as an appetizer with pita chips, or do you slice it and serve it as a meat substitute, or can you serve a slice as a side? Would you garnish with anything? We love lentils and I would like to try this pate. Thanks for your thoughts!

I have not made either recipe so sherri is probably the one to ask but by the looks of

the recipe I would say yes to all the ways you mention. Sherri says using it as a sandwich filling also works well. My thought for garnish is just chopped parsley. It probably doesn't need anything else.

Back