Simple Beef, Pork or Chicken Appetizers please

deb-in-mi

The first week of January I'm hosting an appetizer party for 4 gal pals to celebrate a birthday. I'm going to serve my onion tarts, a baked brie, perhaps Feta-tapenade-tart-soleil. However I need some 'meat based' appetizer too - something a heavier than those listed. Any suggestions?

Sounds like fun! My option does not sound like it's in the same category as your other appetizers, but I made a half-sheet tray of regular wings (both parts) and 3 female guests plowed through them. Even though there were other foods too! I don't know...it may have been the wine.

Something about NO MEN being there allowed them to really enjoy those wings.

My current favorite is from my nephew who makes these when he caters. Always a big hit.

Cranberry chicken salad bruschetta

Ingredients
    • 2 cups of port wine
    • 2 cups dries cranberries
    • 2 cinnamon sticks
    • 2 cooked chicken breasts, chopped
    • Cream cheese
    • Mayonnaise
    • Chopped parsley
    • Baguette
Steps
    • Simmer 2 cups of port wine & 2 cups dried cranberries with 2 cinnamon sticks. Simmer until wine is thick & syrupy. Almost evaporated.
    • Then in a bowl add the cranberries to 2 cooked & chopped up chicken breasts & add mayonnaise to creamy consistency.
    • Serve on toasted bruschetta with a little smear of cream cheese. We always top with a little parsley.

Sounds like fun! My option does not sound like it's in the same category as your other appetizers, but I made a half-sheet tray of regular wings (both parts) and 3 female guests plowed through them. Even though there were other foods too! I don't know...it may have been the wine.

Something about NO MEN being there allowed them to really enjoy those wings.
I've never made wings and am kinda scared of them.....LOL

My current favorite is from my nephew who makes these when he caters. Always a big hit.

Cranberry chicken salad bruschetta

Ingredients
    • 2 cups of port wine
    • 2 cups dries cranberries
    • 2 cinnamon sticks
    • 2 cooked chicken breasts, chopped
    • Cream cheese
    • Mayonnaise
    • Chopped parsley
    • Baguette
Steps
    • Simmer 2 cups of port wine & 2 cups dried cranberries with 2 cinnamon sticks. Simmer until wine is thick & syrupy. Almost evaporated.
    • Then in a bowl add the cranberries to 2 cooked & chopped up chicken breasts & add mayonnaise to creamy consistency.
    • Serve on toasted bruschetta with a little smear of cream cheese. We always top with a little parsley.
Sounds scrumptious - thank you!

This may not be as simple as you wanted but they sure are good. I have a better dip if you want to use them. Chicken pot stickers.

Attachments

• Pot Stickers 002.pdf
    73.6 KB · Views: 4
Calabrese Lollipops – Antipasto on a stick!

Using those skinny bread sticks as "lolli-pop" sticks...
VERY thinly sliced salami (Calabrese is spicier, apparently, but you can really use whatever you like)
Spread with a thin smear of spreadable cheese, like cream cheese or Teleme or Boursin)
Arrange two small leaves of arugula at end so when you roll it up the top tips stick out the ends
Lay the bread stick on one edge of the salami so it's near the top but when rolled up the stick doesn't show & simply roll up tightly, the cheese acting as a glue.
That's it! Guests can hold the bread stick and not get their fingers gooey and they don't have any toothpick to dispose of!

Thai Vinaigrette (dipping sauce)

5 oz. Finely chopped lemon grass
1 c. lime juice
1 c. lemon juice
3 c. water
2 c. sugar
2 c. fish sauce (nam pla)
3 oz. Very finely diced jalapeno
1 bunch chopped cilantro
1 bunch chopped mint

This is the best dipping sauce I’ve ever had. I got a restaurant to write it out for me. Clearly, it’s designed for a few more than the intimate dinner party.

Calabrese Lollipops – Antipasto on a stick!

Using those skinny bread sticks as "lolli-pop" sticks...
VERY thinly sliced salami (Calabrese is spicier, apparently, but you can really use whatever you like)
Spread with a thin smear of spreadable cheese, like cream cheese or Teleme or Boursin)
Arrange two small leaves of arugula at end so when you roll it up the top tips stick out the ends
Lay the bread stick on one edge of the salami so it's near the top but when rolled up the stick doesn't show & simply roll up tightly, the cheese acting as a glue.
That's it! Guests can hold the bread stick and not get their fingers gooey and they don't have any toothpick to dispose of!
I've made something similar - thank you for the reminder

One of the 'recipes' that Food and Wine, or was it Bon Appetit, nicked from me when I posted it on Gail's was salami-wrapped asparagus. It took them 2 months, and no credit given, so many years ago. The poops.

I partially cooked asparagus spears, and wrapped the upper half of them in Genoa salami that I spread with garlicked cream cheese, then BBQd them so that the meat was crispy but just before the cheese oozed out. The nicked version just used Boursin. Granted, that was easier, but not something I had on hand when I concocted it.

Smoked sausage bites. Cut 1/2 inch slices of smoked sausage and brown. Serve with a mustard.
Sliced Italian salamis.
chicken salad in phyllo cups or even the scoops
Chicken or pork souvlaki skewers with a dipping sauce
Chicken salad rolled up in rice paper and cut in half
There is a beautiful looking recipe "around" of a smoked sausage rolled up in puff pastry, sliced and served.
OH, cocktail weiners! We had some over the holiday just browned in a skillet--they are addictive. Serve with a mustard/mayo?

The first week of January I'm hosting an appetizer party for 4 gal pals to celebrate a birthday. I'm going to serve my onion tarts, a baked brie, perhaps Feta-tapenade-tart-soleil. However I need some 'meat based' appetizer too - something a heavier than those listed. Any suggestions?
These beef satays were always popular at our annual Christmas party years ago... I used to grill them quickly rather than broil. I'm always afraid I'm going to set food on fire in the broiler if the instructions call for more than a minute. 😂

Back