So...what is this and what should I cook in it?

marilynfl

While in PA, I stopped at a church rummage sale and found this for $1:
IMG_9647.JPG IMG_9648.JPG

It's shallow (1.5") and the base is 6". Is this a gratin pan? I'd like to christen it with an appropriate dish--if I knew what an appropriate dish would be.

It's not Le Creuset...there are no logo markings nor is it as heavy as a lined cast iron pn.

Any ideas?

yES, a gratin pan I'd guess. Its probably enamelled steel. It would be a very small paella
It is really cute--especially for a dollar!!
You could make a clafouti in it. A panna cotta for two. Creme brulee for two.
Scalloped potatoes or such.

This Pati Jinich recipe would also go well in your pan.

yES, a gratin pan I'd guess. Its probably enamelled steel. It would be a very small paella
It is really cute--especially for a dollar!!
You could make a clafouti in it. A panna cotta for two. Creme brulee for two.
Scalloped potatoes or such.
I think a 10" pan would be creme brulee for lots more than two! (unless they are 300# football players)

Pommes Anna. It would reverse out beautifully as I suspect the bottom to be so non-sticky.

What a bargain though. It is so attractive, it would be good to bring to the table.

I have the entire set of Dansk red cookware (and that, the paella pan, is one of them) that I have to get rid of. It is still being made and mine is in perfect condition, but I need to get a lot more than a dollar for it. I used that pan (a little larger) for a huge and pretty pasta that I took to the table. That smaller size would be handy. Lucky find!
1685386265437.png

I would call it lucky pan! I NEVER find deals on cookware at thrift stores or estate/garage sales. In all my years thrifting and going to estate sales I have only gotten three pieces - a Dansk Kobenstyle casserole/Dutch oven that was pretty stained up - very well used and loved at an estate sale and paid too much for it. But the owner's son told me how his mom used it to simmer oranges and cinnamon from Thanksgiving to New Years every year. An old Wearever pressure chicken cooker in immaculate condition but I am still too chicken to try it. And a paella pan that evidently someone didn't know what it was, didn't remove the finish off of it correctly and tried to pan fry something in it. I had to do a little work on it but for $3, it was worth it.

I would call it lucky pan! I NEVER find deals on cookware at thrift stores or estate/garage sales. In all my years thrifting and going to estate sales I have only gotten three pieces - a Dansk Kobenstyle casserole/Dutch oven that was pretty stained up - very well used and loved at an estate sale and paid too much for it. But the owner's son told me how his mom used it to simmer oranges and cinnamon from Thanksgiving to New Years every year. An old Wearever pressure chicken cooker in immaculate condition but I am still too chicken to try it. And a paella pan that evidently someone didn't know what it was, didn't remove the finish off of it correctly and tried to pan fry something in it. I had to do a little work on it but for $3, it was worth it.
Did you use bleach on it to get rid of the stains?

Okay...thank you for all your suggestions. I'm going for the potato dish because I'm not sure how paella would reheat and green rice isn't ringing my bell. Also, I always thought that potato dish was called Potatoes Diana, not Anna. Maybe I'm confusing it with Steak Diane?

Marg, there were absolutely no stains on it. All I did before taking those photos was to peel off the $1 sticker.

And just in case anyone is interested, I was looking up recipes for the potatoes and found this smaller version using muffin pans. That would be very nice for a plated dinner

I made Pommes Anna last week and experimented with soaking the slices again. This time I soaked them too long, they curled, and I think I ended up with what I might call Pommes Frizzantes. I think it's a good idea to soak them quickly, but only briefly. I've looked at recipes online and notice some use oil, oil and butter. The real French method is with butter only. Sometimes I crumble a bit of that Ducros French Thyme in as well. They seem to be a favourite here.

I have also been experimenting with that muffin cup method, was not pleased, and stumbled across one with grated potatoes and egg, in muffin cup. Must find that. My father insisted on potatoes with every meal. Old habits did not die with my dad.

MusicCitiyMissy, years ago I found a round DRU (made in Holland) Dutch Oven at a yard sale for $4. It was terribly stained (like Beef Bourguignon stained) and I wanted it cleaner before using it. I put a scoop of powdered OXICLEAN in the pot filled with hot water and put that on the stove. I did have to watch it because the soap foamed up, but it took away every stain. I dumped it out right away and then boiled water in the pot twice to remove any residue. You could still see some scrap marks on the pot, but the stains were gone.

I also found an oval DRU at Habitat for Humanity for $8. It was spotless--not sure if it was ever used--so I didn't test the method again.

However, you may want to research this in case it was a stupid idea before trying it on yours--because I didn't. But I've been using the dutch oven for 15 years and I'm not dead.

Back