Steve2. Would you please share your recipe for your "Potato Chive Cakes"

No problemo. REC: Potato Chive Cakes

Potato-Chive Cakes

2 whole bulbs GARLIC
5 medium-large IDAHO BAKING POTATOES
1/2 cup grated MANCHEGO CHEESE (sort of like Gouda)
1 whole EGG
1/2 cup minced fresh CHIVES
SALT and PEPPER
BUTTER for frying.

To prepare the potatoes, first, trim and roast the whole garlic cloves ( cut off the tips, place whole head, cut side up, in a small baking pan. Fill the pan with enough water to go half way up the sides of the bulbs. Cover with foil, bake @375degrees F for 1 hour)

Place the un-peeled potatoes in a saucepan, add water to cover, and bring to a boil. Boil until tender, 25 to 35 minutes; test for doneness by piercing with a fork. Drain the potatoes and let cool until they can be handled. Then, grate into a large mixing bowl, skin and all, using the largest holes on a hand-held standing grater.

Squeeze whole roasted garlic cloves from their skins into the grated potato. Add the cheese, egg and chives and mix well. Season to taste with the salt and pepper.

Form the mixture into 6 cakes, each about 1 1/2 inches thick (or 12 cakes, 3/4 inches thick). Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or for up to 24 hours before cooking.

When ready to dine, fry the cakes in butter, until golden and heated through, about 4 minutes per side. Serves 6.

Thanks Steve. Not sure that I can get Manchego here. Would you use Gouda as a substitute?

Thanks Steve. I checked out the Manchego at our cheese store but it was quite dry,

like Parmesan. They said they dont carry the creamy Manchego so I think I`ll go with the Gouda. Thanks again.

Back