Sweet chili sauce...need some for a recipe. Anyone familiar with it?>>

curious1

Is there something I could addto the regular chili sauce with Garlic to approximate? I'm trying to put together a meal using my leftover sake, tofu and using a head of napa cabbage and stuff on hand or available at a regular supermarket. Great fun!

I have a bottle of Maggi brand...

It's a thick, clear red sauce that you can see the pepper seeds in. (It's wonderful!)

I bought in a regular supermarket in the Oriental section. Good stuff!

Mine Says Mae Ploy (Brand?) . . .

I think in Thai, it's called Nuoe cham ga. It really is good. Give it a try on spring rolls or lumpia.

Rec: Spicy Lime And Herbed Tofu In Lettuce Cups...since you have the sauce, you might be interested

from January Bon Appetit credited to Bruce Aidells and Nancy Oakes...a great team. I've never made a Bruce Aidells recipe I didn't love, but they're usually meat!

SPICY LIME AND HERBED TOFU IN LETTUCE CUPS

Dressing
1/4 cup thinly sliced peeled fresh ginger
1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh lemongrass, cut from bottom 4 inches of 4 stalks with tough leaves removed
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons fish sauce (such as nam pla or nuoc nam)*
2 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons sweet chili sauce*

Tofu
1/2 cup diced seeded peeled cucumber
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup diced seeded plum tomato
2 tablespoons chopped seeded jalapeño chile
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil (preferably Vietnamese or Thai)
1 14- to 16-ounce package firm tofu, drained, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, patted dry

6 large or 12 medium butter lettuce leaves

For dressing:
Puree first 5 ingredients in blender. Let mixture stand at least 15 minutes and up to 1 hour. Strain mixture into small bowl, pressing on solids to release any liquid; discard solids. Stir in sweet chili sauce. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

For tofu:
Combine first 7 ingredients in large bowl. Add tofu and dressing to bowl; toss to coat.

Arrange 1 or 2 lettuce leaves on each of 6 plates. Divide tofu mixture among lettuce leaves and serve.

*Available in the Asian foods section of most supermarkets and at Asian markets.

Makes 6 first-course servings.

Bon Appétit
January 2006
Bruce Aidells and Nancy Oakes

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/233691

REC: Nuoc Cham (Vietnamese Version)

Ingredients on my bottle include: Sugar, water, pickled red chili, vinegar, garlic, salt.

Haven't tried this version. This is more of a table sauce . . . and seems as though it would be watery than the bottled stuff.

Nuoc Cham
Hot, Sour, Salty Sweet
Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid

1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup Vietnamese or Thai fish sauce
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons rice or cider vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 small clove garlic, minced
1 bird chile, minced
Several shreds of carrot (optional)

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to dissolve the sugar completely. . . Store in a tightly sealed glass container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days (after that, the garlic starts to taste tired).

Easy to find but you want to look for "sour" on the label as well as sweet. Don't let the word

throw you as it is VERY sweet but very necessary for these Asian foods.

it has no preservatives, no tomato Paste, No added flavours and No food conditioners....I think the

chillies and vinegar are all the preservatives it needs. You get a chilli garlic one that is very good..in fact all the sauces they make we like.

Here is a recipe that might fit the bill for you. REC: Spring Roll Dipping Sauce

* Exported from MasterCook *

Spring Roll Dipping Sauce

Recipe By : Jane in L.A. / Bon Appetit/July 1988
Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Asian Sauces

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

1 pint sugar
1 cup water
1 cup distilled white vinegar
2 Tbl. minced garlic
2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. chili paste with garlic

Combine first 5 ingredients in heavy small saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring until sugar
dissolves. Reduce heat and simmer until syrupy, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Add chili paste. Cool. (can be prepared 3 days ahead and refrigerated).Makes about 1-1/3 cups 11ounces.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks to everyone for the help. I found a recipe on the Whole Foods site that appealed to me

and made it along with a Shrimp and Napa Cabbage stir-fry from Epi that I tweaked. It was all good. Still have the tofu and sake, though! I now have the sweet chili sauce, black vinegar and black soy on a 'seek and buy list'.

Rec: Carrots and Cucumbers with Sweet Chili Sauce

If I'd been thinking, I'd have used Thai basil instead of the cilantro, but it was good. Loved the sweet chili sauce dressing.

Carrots & Cucumbers with Sweet Chili Sauce
Serves 4
Serve this simple and fresh-tasting salad with poached fish or chicken breast.

1/4 cup water
3 TB light brown or turbinado sugar
3 TB rice wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp salt
1 pound carrots, thinly sliced
1 seedless European or hot-house cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 2 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 TB plus 1 tsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp dark sesame oil
Prep Time: 20 minutes
In a small saucepan, combine water, sugar, vinegar, garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
In salad bowl, toss together carrots and cucumber, and add sugar-vinegar syrup. Add cilantro, lime juice and sesame oil; cover and chill until serving time.
Nutrition Info
Per Serving: 108 calories, 1.4g total fat, 0.2g saturated fat, 0.5g monounsaturated fat, 0.6g polyunsaturated fat, 4.3g dietary fiber, 2g protein, 24g carbohydrate, 0mg cholesterol, 179mg sodium
Good source of: beta-carotene

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/wh_carrotcucumber.html

Rec: Shrimp with Napa Cabbage and Ginger

from Gourmet Magazine. After reading the reviews and looking at a similar recipe from Food and Wine, I tweaked a bit. I used peanut oil, at least twice as much ginger, a couple of cloves of garlic, and 1 tablelspoon cornstarch. We used Sriracha hot chili sauce at the table to taste.

SHRIMP WITH NAPA CABBAGE AND GINGER

Active time: 45 min Start to finish: 45 min

1 bunch scallions
1 lb large shrimp in shell (16 to 20 per lb), peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons medium-dry Sherry
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 (2-lb) head Napa cabbage, quartered lengthwise, cored, and cut crosswise into 1 1/2-inch pieces (10 cups)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips (1 cup)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Accompaniment: cooked rice

Cut white and pale green parts of scallions into 2-inch pieces and thinly slice dark green parts.

Stir together shrimp, 1 tablespoon Sherry, cornstarch, white pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl.

Rinse cabbage in a colander. Tap colander lightly, then transfer cabbage to a large bowl with excess water clinging to leaves.

Heat a 14-inch wok or 12-inch heavy skillet over high heat until beginning to smoke, then add 2 tablespoons oil. When oil begins to smoke, add shrimp and stir-fry until golden and almost cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a clean bowl.

Add remaining tablespoon oil to wok and heat until just smoking, then stir-fry ginger and white and pale green parts of scallions until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and stir-fry until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in remaining tablespoon Sherry and cook until most of liquid is evaporated. Add cabbage with water from bowl, soy sauce, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, covered, until cabbage is tender, about 5 minutes.

Stir in shrimp along with any juices accumulated in bowl and simmer, uncovered, until shrimp are just cooked through, about 1 minute. Add scallion greens and toss to combine well.

Makes 4 servings.

Gourmet
January 2004

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/109017

Back