Sweet Potato Biscuits

mariadnoca

Pat/No. Cal.: Shhh, don't tell anybody, but I think I could eat a batch of Steve2's Sweet Potato Biscuits allll by myself

Marc in Seattle turned me on to these lovely biscuits. Thank you Steve2 for sharing them with us.

Sweet Potato Biscuits

2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 lb)

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted

1/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar

2-1/4 cups all purpose flour

1 tbsp baking powder

3/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 400F.

Pierce potatoes in several places. Bake until very tender, about 1 hour. Cut potatoes in half and cool slightly. Scoop flesh into small bowl and cool completely.

Reduce oven temperature to 375F.

Place 1 cup sweet potato into large bowl (save any remaining for another use or batch.) Add butter and brown sugar and beat until smooth.

Sift flour, baking powder, salt baking soda and cinnamon into medium bowl. Mix dry ingredients into sweet potato mixture alternately with buttermilk in 3 additions, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.

Transfer dough to generously floured surface, roll to 3/4" inch thickness and using a 2-1/4" inch round cookie cutter, cut out biscuits. (Careful not to twist cutter as you press out biscuits)

Arrange on an ungreased baking sheet. Gather scraps into ball. Re-roll to 3/4" inch thickness. Cut out additional biscuits. Arrange on ungreased baking sheet. Bake biscuits until golden and puffed, about 25 minutes.

Transfer baking sheet to rack and cool slightly. Serve biscuits warm or at room temperature. Makes about 12.

Steve2 in LA's notes: When there's leftover sweet potatoes, I mash 'em and freeze 'em in 1 cup batches and use for Sweet Potato Biscuits. Steve said: Pat, glad you liked 'em! While they're a Thanksgiving staple as well, try 'em with barbecue some time!

Back