Sweet Potatoes Anna

lana-in-fl

I made this for Thanksgiving last year, and everyone loved it, so I might make it again unless one of you has a better idea. We loved the leeks in it. I always thought this was Steve2's recipe, but I see I have a web link with it, so maybe not. I think I made it ahead, then reheated it after the turkey came out of the oven. I'm going to spatchcock the turkey this year.

Sweet Potatoes Anna

5 sweet potatoes, peeled
2 leeks, whites only
6 tbsp butter, melted
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme, or 1 tsp dried
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375. Slice potatoes very thinly (1/8"); cut leeks in half lengthwise and slice those thinly as well. Butter a round, shallow 10" baking dish. Arrange a layer of potato slices in the pan in overlapping circles. Brush with 1/4 of the melted butter, top with half the leeks & thyme, s&p. Repeat with another layer of potatoes, the remaining leeks & thyme, then a final layer of potatoes. Brush the top layer with melted butter. (Yes, you are using a lot of butter. It's worth it.) Cover the pan with foil, and weight it with a heavy skillet to bake for 30 minutes. Remove the skillet & foil, baste with the remaining butter, and bake uncovered for another 30 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes and then turn out of the baking dish onto a plate before serving, and prepare for compliments.

Good idea. I like sweet potatoes but they like to make kidney stones so I stay away. I make Pommes Anna quite regularly and did once add onions, on a whim. Preferred it without as the moisture retarded the crisping and I do like crisp edges. I might try again with leeks though. I think leeks can make most vegetables sing.
I think your recipe here would be most appreciated.

Last edited:
I've been making Pommes Anna for 30 years with white potatoes. I haven't tried it with leeks but will! I usually dot some Boursin throughout the layers.

Good idea. I like sweet potatoes but they like to make kidney stones so I stay away. I make Pommes Anna quite regularly and did once add onions, on a whim. Preferred it without as the moisture retarded the crisping and I do like crisp edges. I might try again with leeks though. I think leeks can make most vegetables sing.
I think your recipe here would be most appreciated.
Yes, we love leeks. I did think they weren't as crisp as I would have liked, but I may not have cooked them long enough. I didn't know about the kidney stones - I eat a lot of sweet potatoes. :(

I've been making Pommes Anna for 30 years with white potatoes. I haven't tried it with leeks but will! I usually dot some Boursin throughout the layers.
Ooh, Boursin - what a great idea! I must try that with white potatoes. A good excuse to make this. :)

Ha! This entire thread was one continuous "oh, what a good idea" after another.
First using yams instead of potatoes.
Then using leeks
Then adding Boursin.

Brilliant feedback, gang.

Here's my contribution: Boursin scratch recipes from Cheese T&T forum

Last edited:
I made this for Thanksgiving last year, and everyone loved it, so I might make it again unless one of you has a better idea. We loved the leeks in it. I always thought this was Steve2's recipe, but I see I have a web link with it, so maybe not. I think I made it ahead, then reheated it after the turkey came out of the oven. I'm going to spatchcock the turkey this year.

Sweet Potatoes Anna

5 sweet potatoes, peeled
2 leeks, whites only
6 tbsp butter, melted
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme, or 1 tsp dried
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375. Slice potatoes very thinly (1/8"); cut leeks in half lengthwise and slice those thinly as well. Butter a round, shallow 10" baking dish. Arrange a layer of potato slices in the pan in overlapping circles. Brush with 1/4 of the melted butter, top with half the leeks & thyme, s&p. Repeat with another layer of potatoes, the remaining leeks & thyme, then a final layer of potatoes. Brush the top layer with melted butter. (Yes, you are using a lot of butter. It's worth it.) Cover the pan with foil, and weight it with a heavy skillet to bake for 30 minutes. Remove the skillet & foil, baste with the remaining butter, and bake uncovered for another 30 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes and then turn out of the baking dish onto a plate before serving, and prepare for compliments.
We're having a mini-thanksgiving tonight because of family travel and I was going to make this tonight. I got the ingredients to double the recipe. But I got overextended doing everything solo, so will do this for real Thanksgiving.

Back