RECIPE: T& T Rec: Jerryln"s Turkey Salad with Tarragon and Hazelnuts

RECIPE:

lin_in_seattle

Brusseau's is a local cafe and takeout and this is an incredible recipe that has stood the test of time. It's also really yummy as a sandwich filling in a croissant with leaf lettuce. This is a great use for any left over holiday turkey you may have in your freezer.

Serving six

two pounds roasted turkey breast, cut into bite-size pieces

1 small red onion, coarsley chopped

4 stalks celery, coarsley chopped

6 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon (or 2 tablespoons dried)

sprinkling of salad oil

4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley

1/2 cup hazelnuts, roasted and skinned (I coarsley chop them if making this for sandwiches)

1/2 cup low fat yogurt

1/4 cup mayonnaise

salt and pepper to taste

Toss all of the ingredients exept the yogurt, mayo, and salt and pepper, in a large bowl. Mix the yogurt and mayo together, and add until the ingredients are properly coated. Then season to taste.

Note, sometimes I use all mayo or a mix of mayo and sour cream, especially if I am using low cal mayo and it tastes great. Also I've used a mixture of light and dark meat when making it as a sandwich filling and that works well too!

This sounds very good, and low fat too boot (or at least low mayo) . . .

Mayo really makes my acid reflux!

This really is excellent. and worth a try. Does low fat mayo.....>

keep your acid from fluxing? What about using the yogurt and some sour cream? Haven't tried that, however.

I really detest the flavor of most low fat mayonnaise because. . .

They add so much darn corn syrup to it. It is too sweet!

I will probably try the recipe just the way it is and use the minimum of dressing to moisten the salad. I don't like my salads with as much dressing as a lot of people I know.

Me too. I swear I can taste guar gum a mile away, even though it has no flavor, lol>

I alway add a little lemon juice and/or Dijon mustard to tuna or chicken salad before adding mayo--you get moisture and flavor and don't end up "gorping" (I like that word) things up.

For potato salad some of the water the potatoes cooked in does the same thing.

Back