Texas Sheet Cake PatNoCa

angak

Pat's notes: I got this recipe from my sister-in-law many years ago and adapted it a little to suit my tastes. One of the easiest and quickest cakes to make. A one-bowl kind of recipe. It’s not a fancy cake, it’s really rather simple but the flavor is nice and it transports very well to the office, potlucks and picnics -- in the same pan it is made in OR it can be cooled and cut into serving-sized squares and transported that way. Sometimes I sprinkle a handful or more of mini chocolate chips on top of the batter after it has been poured into the jelly-roll pan and then gently put the pan into the oven so the chocolate chips don’t sink too far down into the batter -- Mmgood.

Texas Sheet Cake

2 sticks butter or margarine

1 cup water

4 tbsp cocoa, slightly rounded

2 cups flour

2 cups sugar

1/2 tsp salt

2 eggs

1/2 cup sour cream or buttermilk

1 tsp soda

1 tsp vanilla

Bring first three ingredients to a boil in a large saucepan or small stockpot. Remove from heat, add next three ingredients and beat. Add the next four ingredients and mix. Pour into greased jelly roll pan (18x12). Bake at 325-degrees for 25 minutes or until tester comes out clean. While cake is baking make frosting.

Frosting

1 stick butter or margarine

4 tbsp cocoa, slightly rounded

6 tbsp milk

1 box confectioner’s sugar

1 tsp vanilla

chopped nuts, optional (I usually omit the nuts)

Bring first three ingredients to a boil, add last three ingredients, mix. Immediately pour over cake when removed from oven. Let set about 10 minutes before sprinkling with chopped nuts, if desired.

Back