The lost Group Project...it's amazing how some people have been able to extract recipes from the old

Yes, when I was copying, once in awhile a recipe wouldn't open no matter what I did, but when I

tried several hours later, it opened.

Christmas Bars

Christmas Bars

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
3 Tablespoons confectioners' sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
3/4 cup granulated sugar (The original recipe calls for 1 cup sugar, but I've reduced that to 3/4 cup.)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans.)
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup quartered maraschino cherries, drained and patted dry before quartering. (I like to use both red & green maraschino cherries for a festive holiday look.)

Directions:
Mix 1 cup all-purpose flour, butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread thin with fingers in ungreased 8" x8" x2" baking pan. (I lightly spray PAM onto baking pan before patting in crust..)

Bake crust in a 350-degree F oven until lightly browned, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven.

Stir remaining ingredients into eggs. Mix well with hand mixer. Spread over top of baked pastry crust. Bake about 20 to 25 minutes longer at 350 degrees F. Cool. Cut into bars. Makes about 18 bars.

Enjoy! My husband's aunt Sophia clipped this recipe out of the South Bend (Indiana) Tribune newspaper back in the 1960s. She always made this cookie at holiday time, and we continue to enjoy these delicious bars today. Caryn Wiggins

Chocolate Cordial Cups

You can obtain the recipes for all the 2008 cookie entries by going to the Indianapolis Star's data base at:

http://www.indystar.com/data/living/recipes.shtml?appSession=813140021724608

Chocolate Cordial Cups

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened (I use unsalted butter.)
3 oz. Philadelphia cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup sugar
2 oz semi-sweet chocolate (The original recipe called for unsweetened chocolate, but I thought that was awful so I changed it to semi-sweet.)
2 Tbsp butter or margarine (Again, use unsalted butter.)
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp Grand Marnier or Cointreau or cherry liqueur

In a small mixer bowl combine 1/2 cup butter, cram cheese and 1/3 cup sugar, beating until fluffy. Stir or sift together flour and cocoa and add to creamed mixture. Chill. Divide dough into 24 balls. (I use a 35-mm scoop to speed this part up.) Press each ball onto bottom and sides of an ungreased 1-3/4-inch muffin pan cup. (I use non-stick 1-3/4" muffin tins that I also lightly spray with PAM.)

In a small saucepan melt chocolate and 2 Tbsp butter over low heat. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar, egg, vanilla and liqueur. Divide chocolate filling mixture evenly among muffin cups. Bake at 325 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until filling is set. (Original recipe said to bake for 25 to 30 minutes, but that was way too long, IMHO.) Remove from oven and cool slightly. (I let mine sit for about 10 minutes in the pans.) Remove carefully with a narrow metal spatuala and finish cooling on cake rack.

Notes from Caryn: This makes 24 exactly. Do not fill your dough-lined tins very full, or you will run short of the chocolate filling.

Hope you like these! Guess they are a chcoolate twist on a tassie.

Back