Thee Bungalow (in San Diego) Julia Child dinners. Long msg.

anna_x

This may give some of you ideas on putting on a Julia Child dinner. I'd love feedback on the menue and my ignorance of true French cooking. It was my birthday choice, so DH and I went specifically to try the "Culinary Tribute to Julia Child" which was to be cooked from Mastering the Art of French Cooking. The menu cited specific pages of the book.

I was surprised by some aspects, but then I didn't really know what to expect. Here we go:

App: I had the very brothy Soupe a l'Oignon Gratinnee in a wide soup bowl with a very small cheesy crouton floating in the middle. I somehow expected more onion, more cheese, etc. DH had Salade de Laitue Rillettes aux Deux Saumons. Very nice.

Main: I had Cassoulet Confit de Canard Foie Gras, Sauce Robert (mustard sauce). I tried this because I wanted to know what the famed cassoulets are all about. I liked the beans and duck confit very much, and the Foie gras was an interesting addition that I'd forgotten about until I bit into it. The surprise was that the chef had sauteed a good helping of kale which was on top of somewhat small portion of cassoulet. I didn't care for the kale. Is this usual?

DH had Sole Walewska Beurre de Custaces Legumes (filets with shellfish truffles and vegetables). OK, I'm confused. Are truffles supposed to be the little goodies pigs can find, or chocolate, or anything rich?

Desserts: I had the Mousseline au Chocolate, served very prettily in a wine glass, topped with whipped cream, a berry and tiny mint leaf. DH had Creme Renversee au Caramel. We both were happy with our sweets.

There was a third option for the main: Boeuf a la Bourguinonne. Maybe if we go again. smileys/wink.gif

You called?! Sauteed kale atop cassoulet????!!!!!! No, this is not usual, Neither is the Foie Gras.

Actually, a bit of foie gras before the cassoulet would have been traditional, but I can tell you that this was a very modern take on a traditional cassoulet. I'm all for modern takes, but I think they make more sense if you experience the time-honored version first.

A real French cassoulet would have the duck (or goose) and beans, along with sausage and either lamb or pork, all cooked to death. (or to life, for us fans) There are herbs in the preparation but no helpings of greens. It is served simply, with a salad and bread.

An interesting note: the original manuscript for Mastering the Art of French Cooking didn't contain a cassoulet recipe. Judith Jones, the editor, requested one. Simome Beck was very unhappy with Julia's translation of her recipe; she omitted the goose (or duck) confit, because it would not have been available in the states at the time. They had quite a row about it.

The recipe is only OK. Her later TV versions were better. Richard Olney's (T&T, One Pot Meals) is, in my opinion, the best.

I can't picture kale atop of cassoulet, but the rest of your meal sounds fabulous. Happy Birthday!

While going to SDSU, I had dinner dates at Thee Bungalow AND Thee Fisherman's Bunalow. I was so>>

sophisticated in them olden days. I remember a Salmon Wellington with Lobster Tail. My girlfriend was really impressed. I think I blew my whole pay check and popped for a bottle of Muh-Tay-Yoos Rosay. (Mateus to those of you who might remember the drek) Good, good times.

I CAN picture the look on a Frenchman's face if you served him kale on cassoulet. It isn't pretty.

A truffle is both a mushroom AND chocolate. You can't go wrong

with a truffle! smileys/bigsmile.gif

I don't know why the use the same words for the chocolate and the mushroom. Maybe the person who used it first decided both of them tasted so good he just couldn't decide if the chocolate or the mushroom should get the name, so he gave it to both? *LOL*

Back