Things chefs don't refrigerate

Once eggs have been refrigerated, they should not be left out at room temperature. If you get your eggs from the farm and they have not been chilled, then leave them out.

This is an interesting list and I am somewhat vindicated. I do refrigerate mayo--and several other things on their list. But ketchup, mustard and such I never have. Eggs I do for convenience sake.

14 Unexpected Items That These Chefs Never Refrigerate
My husband insisted we put ketchup in the refrigerator because not was just being a heathen. Growing up, we never did and it was weird to me, but I finally gave in because it just wasn’t that important. Apparently, it was his line in the sand, lol.

Another thing we never refrigerated was jams and jellies. My grandmother never put her jams and jellies in the refrigerator but everyone does now.
I am not 100% in agreement on some of these things because chefs/restaurants are going through these things a WHOLE lot faster than the average household. For instance, I can't go through the 1 1/2-2 dozen eggs I get quickly enough to leave them out. With it just being two of us, most of these things are not used enough that we go through them quickly enough to leave them out because the refrigeration does help. I get a package of cured meats - old fashioned bacons, ham slices, ham and bacon end pieces for seasoning, even smoked sock sausage from my neighbors every year. It's from his brother's business in KY, Broadbent Hams, and they ship it unrefrigerated/cooled. It holds up just fine. Because I don't use it quickly enough, I do freeze some of it for later use.

The stick of butter for eating never goes in the fridge. It’s never gone bad even when I wasn’t eating it much. I keep a pound in the fridge to pull from when the butter dish nears empty and the rest in the freezer.

Also, I thought farm eggs could sit out because the natural protective coating hadn't been washed off as is done with market eggs.

Back