ISO: Tonka bean >> European quasi-substitute for vanilla

In Search Of:

marilynfl

So when my sister was in Belgium for her son's marriage to a Norwegian girl, I asked her to bring back any weird ingredients that I might like. Freda suggested these: a bark-looking shredded tea that taste like a super-mild anise or licorice; I liked it and I don't even like licorice. There were also blue poppy seeds, juniper berries and tonka beans. Tonka beans are used like vanilla to flavor food and looks like something that fell between the cracks of the couch and was only discovered years later in a desperate search for the remote control. To use, grate on a micro-zester and use the grind. It looks a bit like the sawdust residue a wood beetle leaves behind so I'm not yet thrilled at the prospect of adding this to cookies but then remembered that nutmeg looks similar when grinded.

But the taste doesn't offer much...once again it's a subtle licorice taste. Initially it has a harsh taste on the tongue, but then it sweetens, yet never to the point of being similar to vanilla.

So I'm ISO of anyone who has actually used this. I've read all the Google blogs already, but trust T&T here more. I'd like to make a cookie for my "as yet unmet" niece as she'll be at the wedding. I'm already at 1,200 cookies, so I figured what's one more small batch.

On the other hand, I've already at 1,200 cookies and don't want to waste time and ingredients on a cookie that will fail to please.

IMG_9190.jpeg

PS: I am making krumkake cookies for Freda and will use cardamom...krumkake are a Norwegian pressed cookie that is slightly thinner than pizzelles but are traditionally rolled into a cigar or cone shape. I had planned on pizzelles (cause they're easier), but the groom's aunt plans to bring those to the cookie table.

Last edited:
I'm so happy you posted this - I have heard of people using it and didn't know anything about it. Can't say I'm chomping at the bit to try it tho....

Thanks for sharing! Big Hugs!

Back