ISO: Trifle advice

In Search Of:

marilynfl

I have several items made out of pure boredom, so last night (3:48 AM to be exact, after getting mom resettled for the nth time), I decided, huh...maybe a trifle?

This would be for Sunday, Christmas Eve dinner at my sister's.

Here's what I've got:

banana bread
pastry cream
quart of heavy cream
bananas
Reeses cups
chunk of dark chocolate
and a jar of Nutella.

Game plan:

Cube the banana bread and lightly toast it.
Whip heavy cream and add some to the pastry cream to lighten it. Sort of a cut-rate diplomat creme.
Warm heavy cream and peanut butter and add to Nutella (in lieu of jammy spread)
Dice up Reese's cups

Then typical trifle layering:
cake, spread, fruit, repeat these, then finish off top with whipped cream, grated chocolate & Reese's cups.

I'm good up until the whipped cream topping. How soon can I make that? If I were in NC, I'd be using my food processor and the other tricks I've used before to stabilize the cream. But here in PA I only have an el cheapo mixer that came with a whisk attachment (which, by the way, SUCKED when I tried to make Royal icing with it) I don't want it weepy.

I got this from a post here, I can’t recall from who, but it works like a charm in a trifle. You might even be able to do it the night before, but I know for sure it holds for several hours.

STABILIZED WHIPPED CREAM

A Wilton’s Cake Decorating Recipe

Servings: 2 cups

Ingredients
    • 1 tsp unflavored gelatine
    • 4 tsp cold water
    • 1 cup whipping cream (35%)
    • 1/4 cup icing(confectioners) sugar — or to taste
    • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla
Steps
    • Combine gelatine and cold water in small saucepan. Let stand until thick. Place over low heat, stirring constantly until gelatine dissolves. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
    • Whip cream, sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. While beating, very gradually add gelatine. Whip at high speed until cream is stiff.

Another way to make stabilized whipped cream is to soften 1/3 cup of cream cheese, whip with whatever amount of sugar you want to add to the final product plus any vanilla extract you may wish to add, then slowly mix in 1 cup of very chilled whipping cream. Turn the mixer up to high and whip until stiff peaks form. It could happen fairly quickly, but don't panic if it takes a couple of minutes.
This whipped cream has become a staple in our house and it keeps, without deflating, in the fridge for several days. If you frost a cake with it, it won't ooze off the cake like plain whipped cream would!

Lovely Marilyn, I am sure it is going to be enjoyed by all. Merry Christmas to you and your Mom.

OMGoodness I want me some!! It looks and sounds incredible. And thanks, ladies, for the stabilized whipped cream tips. Merry Christmas to all:)

Gorgeous, Marilyn! And I am positive it tasted superb, too. I always keep these little packets in my freezer for stabilizing whipped cream.==>

Dr. Oetker Whipped Cream Stabilizer, 0.35 Ounce (Pack of 2)​

Takes 1 packet mixed into 1 cup of whipping cream--turn on the mixer--works every time and my whipped cream holds its shape and lasts for days. Somebody on one of the old swaps recommended Dr. Oetker, and I've used his remarkable invention ever since. I understand you were at your mom's and with no plans to head to a grocery store, but keep it in mind for your next trifle creation.

1703670304237.png

ha...wigs, I actually have that product...back in NC! I ended up using the cream cheese method and it worked beautifully...from the Xmas Eve party on Sunday and finished at the Xmas party the following night. No weeping!

Truth told, I'm intimidated by gelatin...I've never been able to get it perfectly dissolved...even Jello!

By the way, my sister made 3 other desserts (plus cookies, plus candy, etc) and one was a Pumpkin Cheesecake. It was not only beautiful, but perfectly flat with NO CRACKS. I was duly impressed.

I recently ran across yet another way to stabilize whipped cream on a site written by Jenni Field. I'll put her recipe below, but you really should go out to her web page and read the pros and cons of all the different ways one can stabilize whipped cream. It is very informative and explains why she chose to use Instant Clear Jel. The Best Stabilized Whipped Cream

Stabilized Whipped Cream (Vegetarian)​

This stabilized whipped cream is stabilized with Instant Clear Jel, which is modified cornstarch. It stands up well with no weeping, even after several hours at room temperature. The texture is light, and it it tastes purely of sweetened cream.

As far as I'm concerned, using modified food starch/cornstarch is the very best way to stabilize cream to increase its keeping properties without adversely affecting flavor or texture.

Prep Time 5 minutes
Total Time 5 minutes

Calories 115 kcal
Author Jennifer Field

Ingredients​

• 2-4 Tablespoons sugar depending on how sweet you like things
  • ½ teaspoon Instant Clear Jel
  • 8 oz heavy cream 1 cup, cold
  • healthy pinch of salt about 1/8 teaspoon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions​

• Thoroughly whisk together the sugar and Instant Clear Jel.
  • Add the cream, salt, and vanilla to a large bowl or to the bowl of your stand mixer.
  • Whisk until the cream starts to thicken, about 1 minute.
  • Add the sugar mixture and continue to whip until the cream holds medium-stiff to stiff peaks.

Notes​

Stabilized whipped cream will hold for several hours at room temperature or in the fridge for several days.

If using to frost cupcakes or cake, you can safely double the amount of Instant Clear Jel to 1 teaspoon per cup of cream. If you want to pipe it later, use the amount called for in the recipe, or 1/2 teaspoon per cup of cream.

I'm thrilled that the cream cheese method worked for you! Since I found it, I haven't done whipped cream without adding the cheese.

I recently ran across yet another way to stabilize whipped cream on a site written by Jenni Field. I'll put her recipe below, but you really should go out to her web page and read the pros and cons of all the different ways one can stabilize whipped cream. It is very informative and explains why she chose to use Instant Clear Jel. The Best Stabilized Whipped Cream

Stabilized Whipped Cream (Vegetarian)​

This stabilized whipped cream is stabilized with Instant Clear Jel, which is modified cornstarch. It stands up well with no weeping, even after several hours at room temperature. The texture is light, and it it tastes purely of sweetened cream.

As far as I'm concerned, using modified food starch/cornstarch is the very best way to stabilize cream to increase its keeping properties without adversely affecting flavor or texture.

Prep Time 5 minutes
Total Time 5 minutes

Calories 115 kcal
Author Jennifer Field

Ingredients​

• 2-4 Tablespoons sugar depending on how sweet you like things
  • ½ teaspoon Instant Clear Jel
  • 8 oz heavy cream 1 cup, cold
  • healthy pinch of salt about 1/8 teaspoon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions​

• Thoroughly whisk together the sugar and Instant Clear Jel.
  • Add the cream, salt, and vanilla to a large bowl or to the bowl of your stand mixer.
  • Whisk until the cream starts to thicken, about 1 minute.
  • Add the sugar mixture and continue to whip until the cream holds medium-stiff to stiff peaks.

Notes​

Stabilized whipped cream will hold for several hours at room temperature or in the fridge for several days.

If using to frost cupcakes or cake, you can safely double the amount of Instant Clear Jel to 1 teaspoon per cup of cream. If you want to pipe it later, use the amount called for in the recipe, or 1/2 teaspoon per cup of cream.
wigs, is that the Clear Jel that King Arthur sells?

wigs, is that the Clear Jel that King Arthur sells?
Yes, King Arthur's is where I buy Clear Jel. We used to have a cake decorating supply store in Columbus, IN, where I would pick up Clear Jel, but it went out of business so now I order a jar now and again on-line and store it in the refrigerator.

Back