Triple Chocolate Cake REC

wigs

Triple Chocolate Cake --recipe given to me by Janice Fisher.
(I made 6 of these on November 10, 2022. Wigs)

1 box Betty Crocker Super Moist Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
1 cup sour cream
1 cup Crisco oil
4 eggs
1/2 cup water
1 small pkg. instant chocolate pudding
1 (12 oz.) pkg. chocolate chips

Combine all ingredients except chocolate chips; mix well. Add chips and stir to mix in. Bake in a lightly greased Bundt pan at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes. Cool and turn out on plate.

NOTE: I will either sprinkle this cake with sifted powdered sugar -OR- sometimes I make and drizzle it with this chocolate glaze: 3 (1-oz) squares semisweet chocolate; 2 Tbsp butter; 3/8 cup powdered sugar, sifted; 1 Tbsp water; 1 Tbsp light Karo syrup; 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Combine chocolate and butter in top of a double boiler. Bring water in bottom of pan to a boil and remove from burner. Set top pan over boiling water and stir until chocolate and butter are both melted. Stir in remaining ingredients. Stir until smooth. Drizzle over cake.

Oh this reminds me of the old Harvey Wallbanger cake. Hmmm, likable, although I think that was a waste of a lot of good booze.

I recall that these recipes were almost designed around Crisco oil, but I wonder if sunflower could be a sub.

Triple Chocolate Cake --recipe given to me by Janice Fisher.
(I made 6 of these on November 10, 2022. Wigs)

1 box Betty Crocker Super Moist Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
1 cup sour cream
1 cup Crisco oil
4 eggs
1/2 cup water
1 small pkg. instant chocolate pudding
1 (12 oz.) pkg. chocolate chips

Combine all ingredients except chocolate chips; mix well. Add chips and stir to mix in. Bake in a lightly greased Bundt pan at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes. Cool and turn out on plate.

NOTE: I will either sprinkle this cake with sifted powdered sugar -OR- sometimes I make and drizzle it with this chocolate glaze: 3 (1-oz) squares semisweet chocolate; 2 Tbsp butter; 3/8 cup powdered sugar, sifted; 1 Tbsp water; 1 Tbsp light Karo syrup; 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Combine chocolate and butter in top of a double boiler. Bring water in bottom of pan to a boil and remove from burner. Set top pan over boiling water and stir until chocolate and butter are both melted. Stir in remaining ingredients. Stir until smooth. Drizzle over cake.
Does this bake up like the Tunnel of Fudge cake? My family loved that one and I wish I could recreate it.

Does this bake up like the Tunnel of Fudge cake? My family loved that one and I wish I could recreate it.
The Triple Chocolate Cake does NOT bake up like the Tunnel of Fudge. I'd been expecting to serve 50 to 55 at the Veteran's Day reception, and when the nosecount exceeded that estimate, it was too late to order and receive more dry frosting mix from the King Arthur Baking site so I simply switched chocolate cake types for the extra 100 portions I needed. With a dollop of whipped cream atop each slice plus a few M&Ms sprinkled atop, you couldn't tell that there were two different kinds of cake being served!

This is the John Thorne cake posted by Ron years ago and it is my standard B-day cake for all. I decorate with buttercream frosting for whatever theme I have chosen.

I remember both of these cakes. By the way, don't be fooled by "cake box mix with pudding" as a substitute for a regular box mix and a box of dry pudding mix. I did...and thought there was a difference. Not in a profoundly bad way, just not the same. I prefer the two box version.

On another "box mix" issue, I've finally found "German Chocolate Cake" mix again, which was always my favorite for "Knock You Naked" brownies. For those of you too young to remember this classic, you mix the dry cake mix with evap milk to make a top and bottom brownie-ish layer...with caramel and pecans in the middle. I've used other mixes since I couldn't find the German one for a LONG time, but I'm still partial to the original recipe.

You always remember your first.

PS: And now that I can finally make my own caramel without going insane, I am free from the burden of unwrapping 60 Kraft caramels. Free! Free at last!!

Last edited:
Oh this reminds me of the old Harvey Wallbanger cake. Hmmm, likable, although I think that was a waste of a lot of good booze.

I recall that these recipes were almost designed around Crisco oil, but I wonder if sunflower could be a sub.
To your oil question, I believe the answer is yes. And sunflower would be a 100% oil, unlike Crisco or Wesson "vegetable" oil, which can be a blend of canola, corn, soy, etc.

I never thought there was a difference until making a simple sugar cookie for a friend and Richard in Cincinnati's recipe called for sunflower oil. I had to search around for it (it was definitely more expensive than "vegetable oil") but the clarity in the taste of the cookie convinced me. I get the Spectrum Organic Sunflower oil.

Hi, marg! I agree with Marilyn and believe you could certainly substitute sunflower oil for the Crisco vegetable oil that is called for.

I remember both of these cakes. By the way, don't be fooled by "cake box mix with pudding" as a substitute for a regular box mix and a box of dry pudding mix. I did...and thought there was a difference. Not in a profoundly bad way, just not the same. I prefer the two box version.

On another "box mix" issue, I've finally started finding "German Chocolate Cake" mix again, which was always my favorite for "Knock You Naked" brownies. For those of you too young to remember this classic, you mix the dry cake mix with evap milk to make a top and bottom brown-ish layer...with caramel and pecans in the middle. I've used other mixes since I couldn't find the German one for a LONG time, but I'm still partial to the original recipe.

You always remember your first.

PS: And now that I can finally make my own caramel without going insane, I am free from the burden of unwrapping 60 Kraft caramels. Free! Free at last!!

you are always good for a laugh first thing in the morning.

Back