Valentine's Tradition--all red menu for the cafe--any ideas? (more)

Have to include red velvet cake! Also, how about...

lobster tails?
cherry pound cake?
raspberry sauce on angel food cake?
roasted red pepper on hummus open-face sandwich?
and of course red or rose wine!

Dawn do you have a favorite red velvet cake recipe? I've been wanting to make this. Tx.

Mimi, I use a Red Velvet Cake from the Swap, and Marilyn in FL's Vanilla Torte Icing...

I used the cake recipe below to make individual cakes to give away for Christmas in mini springform pans, and then frosted with Marilyn's Vanilla Torte Icing.

I loved that frosting - it's so smooth and creamy, and it didn't have to be kept in the fridge, like a cream cheese frosting would have.

The last time I used the recipe, I made cupcakes, and the cupcakes sank in the middle. Of course it could be because I accidentally shorted the amount of the vinegar. And, I tried to sub the buttermilk with 1 tablespoon of vinegar plus enough soy milk to make up the 1 cup to make it lactose free. And my baking soda was getting a little old.

But since I covered it with that wonderful frosting, no one was the wiser smileys/smile.gif

Forum Home Page: Archive Swap 14501-14600
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 02:00:51 GMT

I can die with a smile on my face!!! ( My Long Lost Red Velvet Cake Recipe)

After 15 years of thinking about this cake, i actually took steps to get my hands on the recipe, although the required 47 miles of jogging afterward weren't in the bargain!!!

Mernie's Red Velvet Cake
1/ 2 c. butter
1 1/ 2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 2 oz. bottle red food colouring
2 tablespoons cocoa
2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons vinegar

Cream together butter, sugar and eggs. Make a paste of food colouring and cocoa and add to mixture.

Sift together flour, salt, and add to egg mixture alternately with buttermilk and vinegar--fold in soda and vinegar which have been mixed together. DO NOT BEAT AFTER FOLDING IN SODA MIXTURE!!!

Pour into 2 greased layer cake pans and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Forum Home Page: Archive Swap 58701-58800
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 01:13:40 GMT

Sandi, not as elegant as white chocolate, but this one can stay out without a problem: Vanilla Torte Icing

I had just posted this above for Josh. You make a base of cooked flour which, when cooled, is added to a sweet shortening base. May not sound very good, but it is. Ends up light and fluffy and would work well with your velvet cake. Try a small batch first and see what you think. By the way, is there cream cheese flavoring you could add?

Torte Icing (Vanilla)
5 T flour
1 C cold water
1 C Crisco (or butter) (I used butter)
1 C sugar
3 tsp vanilla
pinch salt

Cook flour and water in double boiler until very thick, then let cool. Mix the remaining ingredients. Drop flour mixture by spoonfuls into Crisco mixture. Mix with electric mixer until smooth and creamy.

Note: I used this to frost red velvet cakes. Subbed butter for Crisco, but frosting gets hard when refrigerated.

Back