Very good black bean soup from Enchantment Resort in AZ

marilynfl

Regular stove top method and Instagram version (which I don't have and didn't use)

INGREDIENTS
10 ounces (1 1/2 cups) dried black beans, picked over and rinsed
8 slices bacon (7 ounces total), chopped (1 cup)
1 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice (3/4 cup)
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice (3/4 cup)
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped seeded jalapeño pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
1 Turkish or 1/2 California bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
12 cups low-sodium chicken broth (96 ounces total)
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for optional garnish
Sour cream, for garnish

DIRECTIONS
Cover the beans with cold water by 3 inches in a bowl and soak at room temperature at least 8 hours, or quick-soak (see the NOTE, below). Drain thoroughly. Place the chopped bacon in a 5- to 6-quart heavy pot over medium heat; cook for 6 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the pieces to a bowl. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from pot. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the chopped bacon for garnish, then return remaining bacon to pot, over medium heat. Once it and the bacon fat is quite hot, add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, jalapeño, oregano, bay leaf and thyme; cook for 5 or 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until onion is softened. Add the beans, broth and white pepper; partially cover and cook for about 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally, until beans are quite tender. Discard the bay leaf and stir in 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro. When you scale a recipe, keep in mind that cooking times and temperatures, pan sizes and seasonings may be affected, so adjust accordingly. Also, amounts listed in the directions will not reflect the changes made to ingredient amounts. Serve warm, topped with sour cream, more chopped cilantro, if using, and the reserved bacon.

VARIATION: To make this soup in an Instant Pot, combine the bacon, onion, bell pepper, herbs and jalapeño in it. Use the SAUTE button and set to high. Use 5 cups of broth (instead of the 12 cups listed above). Don’t soak beans overnight: Just rinse, add to other ingredients, and cook on high pressure for 40 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally, which can take 15 to 25 minutes. If you prefer softer beans, add 5 or 6 minutes of high pressure and release manually. NOTE To soak the beans faster, first rinse them and pick them over to remove any debris. Place the beans in a saucepan and cover with water by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat; cook for 1 minute, then remove from the heat. Cover and let sit for 1 hour, then drain and rinse.

Marilyn's Notes:
I used a 16 oz bag of Rancho Gordo Midnight Black beans, soaked overnight with 1 tsp baking soda
I only used 9 cups of broth, as the description described a very brothy soup, rather than the typical thick black bean. This is mid-way.
I'm sure I added salt (Diamond kosher) at some point, but have no clue how much.
I really wanted to use the soaking water because it was BLACK! but the beans stayed mostly black. Froze very well.

Back