Want nice chicken pot pie "type" recipe.

rustic57

Enthusiast Member
Currently have a 5 lb mature chicken boiling in lots of water, two onions(skin on) split, two carrots, split and 1 roma toamto. 2 tsp of slat and 1/2 tsp of pepper.

What would be a good finished product after I defat, debone and strain the broth. Don't want a stew, just a really good chicken something.........

maybe something with a white sauce.

Any suggestions.

Jennifer

I'll take a stab at this ...

You may want to reduce the strained stock to concentrate the flavor. Make a sauce with a basic roux (a few Tbs. each flour and butter cooked until smooth. ) Add some of the stock and perhaps with some milk, and bring to the simmer. Simmer several minutes. If thick, thin out with more of your stock to a gravy consistency. Add any uncooked vegetables you'd like and simmer them in the sauce until done. Add the chicken and any cooked vegetables you'd like to include and warm them through. Add a little cream if you'd like.

Either spread out in a pie plate, top with a crust and bake in a hot oven (about 400*) or for a savory cobbler spread in a baking dish. bake until bubbling, top with biscuit dough and bake until golden.

Just suggestions. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to do this sort of thing.

I'd use the chicken you have ...miss out the step here......Rec: Boere Chicken Pie.....

Boer Chicken Pie

South African Name: Hoender Pastei
Serves 4

Ingredients
4 Chicken Quarters (on the bone)
1/2 teasp Mixed Pickling Spices
Salt and Black Pepper
2 Onions, quartered
4 carrots, halved width-ways
50g/2oz Butter
3 tbsp Plain Flour
60ml/2fl.oz. White Wine
2 Egg Yolks
4 tbsp Lemon Juice
3 hard-boiled Eggs, sliced
4 thin slices Ham
175g/6oz Shortcrust Pastry
1 Egg, beaten
Instructions
1. Place the chicken, spices, salt, onions, and carrots in a saucepan, cover with water then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 220C, 425F, Gas Mark 7 . Remove the chicken from the saucepan, strain the cooking liquor into a measuring jug, reserve the carrots and cut the chicken up into bite-sized pieces. Set aside. Discard the onion and pickling spices.
3. Heat the butter in a medium saucepan, add the flour and cook for 3-5 minutes over a medium heat, stirring constantly to form a roux
4. Add about 720ml/24fl.oz. of the reserved cooking liquor together with the wine and continue to cook until thickened slightly.
5. In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks and lemon juice together until frothy, add to the sauce, beating well, and continue cooking until sauce thickens a little more. Adjust the seasoning and remove from the heat.
6. Place the chicken pieces in the bottom of a deep baking tin, arrange the hard-boiled egg slices on top of the chicken, lay the ham slices on top.
7. Cut the reserved carrots into slices and spread over the ham then pour the sauce over the top.
8. Roll the pastry out large enough to cover the baking tin , and lay it over the tin pressing along the edges firmly. Trim any excess pastry hanging over the edges, pierce the top in a few places to allow steam to escape then brush pastry with beaten egg.
9. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4 and bake for a further 30 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot.

this one not T & T but sounds good.... CHICKEN PIE WITH BISCUIT CRUST

CHICKEN PIE WITH BISCUIT CRUST

For the filling
4 cups chicken broth
3 carrots, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
3/4 pound red potatoes, quartered lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
2 large ribs of celery, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
2 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken (the meat from a 3-pound chicken)
1 onion, chopped
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, or to taste
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
For the biscuit crust
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening, cut into bits
1/3 cup grated sharp Cheddar
1 large egg
about 1/3 cup buttermilk
an egg wash made by beating 1 large egg yolk with 1 tablespoon milk
Make the filling:
In a saucepan bring the broth to a boil, add the carrots, the potatoes, and the celery, and simmer the vegetables, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until they are tender. Transfer the vegetables with a slotted spoon to a large bowl, reserving the broth, and add the chicken to the bowl. In another saucepan cook the onion in the butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until it is softened, add the flour, and cook the roux, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add 3 cups of the reserved broth in a stream, whisking, reserving any remaining broth for another use, and bring the mixture to a boil, whisking. Add the thyme and simmer the sauce, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in the nutmeg, the parsley, and salt and pepper to taste, pour the sauce over the chicken mixture, and stir the mixture gently until it is just combined. Transfer the mixture to a 2-quart shallow baking dish or divide it among four 2-cup shallow baking dishes. The filling may be made 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled. Bring the mixture to room temperature before continuing with the recipe.
Make the biscuit crust:
Into a bowl sift together the flour, the baking powder, the baking soda, and the salt, add the butter and the shortening, and blend the mixture until it resembles meal. Add the Cheddar and toss the mixture. Into a liquid measuring cup break the egg, add enough of the buttermilk to measure a total of 1/2 cup, and beat the mixture with a fork. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until the mixture just forms a dough, gather the dough into a ball, and on a floured surface pat it out 1/2 inch thick. Cut out as many rounds as possible with a 2-inch fluted round cutter dipped in flour, gathering the scraps and patting the dough out again in the same manner.
Arrange the rounds on the chicken mixture, brush the tops of the rounds with the egg wash, and prick the rounds with a fork. Bake the pie in the middle of a preheated 450°F. oven for 15 to 25 minutes, or until the biscuits are puffed and golden and the filling is bubbling.
Serves 4.

Can't find my Silver Palate Cookbook, Good Times (m)

but there is a wonderful recipe in there for Chicken Pot Pie. Not at all low calorie. I am sure it could be found, if you googled. I have made it a number of times, very flexible recipe, can add other vegies.. Yummy white sauce.

Will keep looking and post if I find...

Regards,
Barb

You can use chicken in this REC: Deep Dish Turkey Cobbler with Biscuit Topping

I've made this many times, using chicken and turkey, with whatever mushrooms I had around. I am not a slave to a recipe, so adding other veggies is what I do!

* Exported from MasterCook II *

Deep-Dish Turkey Cobbler With Mushrooms

Recipe By : Globe Magazine
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Casseroles Main Dishes
Poultry Tried & True

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

1 Recipe Biscuit Topping For Pot Pies(see below)
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 Onion -- chopped
1/2 Pound Mushroom Caps -- sliced
1/2 Pound Shiitake Mushrooms -- sliced
Salt And Pepper -- to taste
2 Tablespoons Flour
2 Cups Chicken Stock
2 Teaspoons Fresh Sage -- chopped
Pinch Nutmeg
3 Cups Cooked Turkey -- diced

Lightly butter a 12" baking dish, and set it aside.
In a large skillet, melt the butter and add the onion. Cook it over medium heat for 10 minutes or until the onion is soft but not brown. Add both kinds of mushrooms and a generous sprinkling of salt. Cook for 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms release their liquid. Turn up the heat and cook the mushrooms until the liquid evaporates.
Add the flour to the pan and cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Slowly add the stock, stirring constantly, until it has all been added and the mixture is smooth and bubbling.
Add the sage, nutmeg, pepper and turkey. remove the pan from the heat. Transfer the turkey mixture to the baking dish.
Set the oven at 375°.
Remove the biscuit dough from the refrigerator. On a lightly floured board, gently roll the dough to the exact size of the baking dish. Lift the dough onto the the rolling pin and gently ease it over the turkey filling.
With a paring knife, cut 6 holes in the surface of the dough and transfer the dish to the oven.
Bake the cobbler for 30 to 40 minutes ot until the filling is bubbling at the edges and the pastry is golden brown. Serve at once.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here is one option for the topping....

Biscuit Topping For Pot Pies

Recipe By : Globe Magazine
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breads Tried & True

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method2 Cups Flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
4 Tablespoons Butter -- cut up
3/4 Cup Light Cream
1 Tablespoon Sour Cream

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. With a fork or pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
In a small bowl, stir together the light cream and sour cream.
Make a well in the center of the flour and add the cream to the well. Stir the liquid into the flour with a fork just until the dough forms large, moist clumps.
Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead gently 2 or 3 times ot until it comes together in a ball. Shape it into a flat round, wrap in foil, and refrigerate.

And here is another...

Buttermilk Biscuit Topping For Pot Pies

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breads

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method2 Cups Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Salt
6 Tablespoons Butter -- cut up
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Egg -- lightly beaten
1/2 Cup Buttermilk

In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Stir just to combine them.

With your fingertips or a pstry blender, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles crumbs.

With a fork, stir in the sugar.

In a small bowl, whisk the egg and buttermilk together. Sprinkle the liquid over the flour and gently toss the mixture with a fork to make a dough.

Spoon the batter in large clumps over the pot pie filling.

Transfer the pie to a preheated 375° oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes ir until topping is browned and the filling is bubbling at the edges. Remove the pie from the oven, let it settle for a few minutes, then serve.

NOTES : This amount of topping covers a 10" baking dish.

Thank you for all the great recipes.

I posted below, not knowing how to post to my own thread. I think I figured it out.

Jennifer

Back