way back site for Gail's archive

Thank you...

looks wonderful. And it was easy to read:) I appreciate you taking the time and effort to post it.

Thanks so much,

Deb in MI

You're very welcome. Actually, the "readability" remark was in response to EPI's (m)

new and unfriendly format (I forgot to take that out). The recipe was already in my computer as I always cut and paste from Word.

Link didn't work but I copied it from my computer here

Rec: Lamb Tagine. This was mouth-watering! (m)

My notes:

I used 3 lbs. of boneless New Zealand lamb leg. With stews and curries, I’ve always added about a half pound more meat with no problem. Blade chops are hopeless to use as they’re mostly bone and fat. Round bone chops are better to use but hard to find.

I followed the recipe as written. I included the optional cayenne pepper and cilantro sprigs. I forgot to thaw my own homemade chicken stock for this but in retrospect, this stew didn’t need it. I also used Progresso’s fire roasted diced tomatoes – yum!

I’ve neatly typed this recipe. If it’s hard to read and/or print, well…(I’ve made my point).

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Best Recipe
Soups & Stews
By the editors of Cook’s Illustrated Magazine
Boston Common Press

Lamb Tagine

Serves 6 to 8

If you can’t find boneless lamb shoulder, you can purchase blade or arm chops and remove the meat yourself. Buy 4-1/2 pounds of chops to yield the 2-1/2 pounds of boneless meat needed for this recipe. Prunes, raisins, golden raisins, or currants can be substituted for the apricots. Serve over couscous or basmati rice (page 312)

2-1/2 pounds boneless lamb shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1-1/2 inch cubes
Salt and ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium-large onions, chopped coarse (about 3 cups)
4 medium cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons flour
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground coriander
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
2-1/4 cups homemade chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
1 (14-1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 cup dried apricots, roughly chopped
2 bay leaves
6 fresh cilantro sprigs (optional)
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
¼ cup minced fresh cilantro or parsley leaves
¼ toasted slivered almonds (optional)

1. Adjust the oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat the oven to 300 degrees. Season the lamb generously with salt and pepper.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large ovenproof Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering, about 2 minutes. Add half of the meat to the pot so that the individual pieces are close together but not touching. Cook, not moving the pieces until the sides touching the pot are well-browned 2 to 3 minutes. Using tongs, turn each piece and continue cooking until most sides are well-browned, about 5 minutes longer. Transfer the meat to a medium bowl, add another 1 tablespoon oil to the pot, and swirl to coat the pan bottom. Brown the remaining lamb; transfer the meat to the bowl and set aside.

3. Reduce heat to medium, add the remaining tablespoon oil, and swirl to coat the pan bottom. Add the onions and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring frequently and vigorously, scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to loosen browned bits, until the onions have softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the flour, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, coriander, and cayenne (if using), and stir until onions are evenly coated and fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.

4. Gradually add the stock, scraping the pan bottom and edges with a wooden spoon to loosen the remaining browned bits and spices, and stirring until the flour is dissolved and the liquid thick. Stir in the tomatoes, apricots, bay leaves, and cilantro sprigs (if using) and bring to a simmer. Add the browned lamb and accumulated juices, pushing down the meat to submerge the pieces. Return to a simmer, cover, and place in the oven. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

5. Remove the pot from the oven and stir in the chickpeas. Cover and return the pot to the oven. Cook until the meat is tender and the chickpeas are heated through, about 15 minutes. If serving immediately, spoon off any fat that rises to the top. (Stew can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days. Spoon off the congealed fat and bring back to a simmer over medium-low heat.)

6. Discard the bay leaves and cilantro sprigs. Stir in the cilantro leaves and adjust the seasonings. Serve immediately, garnishing each bowl with almonds if desired.

Back