well, CI's gone and done it: Truly moist pork chops in under 20 minutes.

marilynfl

Really.

And this coming from someone who literally sucks at cooking meat.

Per the Jan-Feb 2022 CI magazine, it's the method that's the key: starting out in a cold pan and flipping every 2 minutes, starting at high heat for the first 2 flips, then over to a med heat burner.

First up: buy the right kind of pork chop. They call for a RIB CHOP with a large loin section and specify 1.5" thickness. I bought my chops at Whole Foods and tried a 1.5" ($7.99/lb) the first time (it must have been a pound chop because the price was $7.99) and a 1" (on sale for $5.99) the second time, as they had no 1.5" left. Both worked with this method.

Second, they recommend either a non-stick pan or a carbon-steel pan. I don't know what the second one means, but I checked and my all-clad are not carbon steel, so I used T-Fal non-stick.

Third, if you have time, sprinkle 3/4 tsp Diamond Kosher salt (not Morton) on each chop, refrigerate for 1 hour, then blot moisture off before cooking. I did and think it helps.

Two 1.5" (14-16 oz) rib chops
1/2 tsp black pepper

Sprinkle black pepper on dried chops.
Add your chop(s) to the cold pan, rotating their bone structure so they nest together like yin/yang symbol. But not touching.
Turn heat to high and set timer for 2 minutes.
Turn another burner to medium heat.
Turn at the 2 minute mark and set timer for 2 minutes.
At the mark, flip the chops, switch the pan to the lower temperature burner and continue the 2 minute flip process for 10-15 minutes. As you get near the end time, pan should be sizzling. If not, increase heat slightly. If pan is smoking, reduce heat. Remove when interior tests 140 degrees. Transfer to carving board and let rest for 5 minutes. Season with sea salt if necessary.

Marilyn's Notes:
I did the pre-salting.
My first 1.5" chop took 16 minutes to reach 140 degrees, holding the chop with tongs and inserting my Thermapen in through the side of the chop. Avoid the bone. The 1" chop only took 12 minutes. Both exuded a wonder juice that I poured over the slices.
Also, I have an electric (ugh) stove, which is why I'm talking about using two different burners. Lucky people with gas stoves can just reduce from high heat to medium heat.

Last edited:
It might be because the chop isn't getting to the browned stage which is when many recipes say to flip--instruct you not to touch it. When it is well weared in that use it will release from the pan. In this application it may stick in a SS pan, for instance.

Marilyn carbon steel are wonderful pans--they are the kind used in restaurant kitchens and act much like a cast iron but without the weight. They require many of the same care as a cast iron--have to build up the surfact like the cast iron. A carbon steel wok is wonderful.

This is the one I got maybe 10 years ago and gave to all our kids for Christmas. Mine took a while to season but is wonderful now.

Last edited:
It might be because the chop isn't getting to the browned stage which is when many recipes say to flip--instruct you not to touch it. When it is well weared in that use it will release from the pan. In this application it may stick in a SS pan, for instance.

Marilyn carbon steel are wonderful pans--they are the kind used in restaurant kitchens and act much like a cast iron but without the weight. They require many of the same care as a cast iron--have to build up the surfact like the cast iron. A carbon steel wok is wonderful.

This is the one I got maybe 10 years ago and gave to all our kids for Christmas. Mine took a while to season but is wonderful now.
Thank you!

I'm at the library working on my MG final so I got out the magazine again to see what they said about the pans:
"COOK IN A DRY NON-STICK OR CARBON-STEEL PAN. Minimizing the amount of fat in the pan reduces smoke and splatter. A smooth surface prevents the chops from sticking without oil and allows more savory browning to stick to the meat, not the pan."

And Judy, as you mentioned, the article also states that this method was developed in 2020 for pan-seared steaks.

charley2, I'll bet the wok I have is carbon-steel. It's the only lightweight cooking pan I have. And it does tend to get rusty if I'm not careful. But I've been building up a patina in for years now, so nothing sticks.

I'm at the library working on my MG final so I got out the magazine again to see what they said about the pans:
"COOK IN A DRY NON-STICK OR CARBON-STEEL PAN. Minimizing the amount of fat in the pan reduces smoke and splatter. A smooth surface prevents the chops from sticking without oil and allows more savory browning to stick to the meat, not the pan."

And Judy, as you mentioned, the article also states that this method was developed in 2020 for pan-seared steaks.

charley2, I'll bet the wok I have is carbon-steel. It's the only lightweight cooking pan I have. And it does tend to get rusty if I'm not careful. But I've been building up a patina in for years now, so nothing sticks.
the carbon steel pans are a staple in commercial kitchens. I worked in a steakhouse in high school and they had a ton of these. I used to think they looked cheap and flimsy but the thinness is considered an asset. Similar I remember one of the Chinese celebrity chefs saying that cheap woks were better than expensive ones. He was essentially saying that the thin steel woks were better at conveying heat than the thick ones. Rusty is actually good too. That is a sign of high carbon. Higher carbon generally equates to harder steel. When I go to an estate sale I look for rusty knives and tools because they are generally better quality steel. I have an old french knife that is black and rusts almost immediately but gets a razor sharp edge. High carbon steel pans are actually high iron steel. They have an even higher ratio of iron to carbon than does cast iron. So it is slightly less brittle than cast iron. High carbon (cast iron and high carbon steel) will tend to snap/crack as opposed to lower carbon steel which will tend to bend more as the amount of carbon is reduced in the steel making. A really poor quality knife will bend easy or even get dented edges while a high carbon knife if you damage the edge it will tend to chip rather than bend/dent.

The carbon steel pans used to be pretty inexpensive on Amazon even the ones made in the USA but they've become trendy so the prices have gone up. This one is common in restaurants:

Also here is an old, rusty cleaver circa 1900 that I picked up and plan to restore. It will be beautiful one day...
Capto_Capture 2022-10-24_02-56-25_PM.png

OH, yes that would be a good pan. When I bought the ones I mentioned they were about $50.

And yes, my 14" wok cost $14 a number of years ago and is black inside now. Like yours Marilyn

Really.

Per the Jan-Feb 2022 CI magazine, it's the method that's the key: starting out in a cold pan and flipping every 2 minutes, starting at high heat for the first 2 flips, then over to a med heat burner.

First up: buy the right kind of pork chop. They call for a RIB CHOP with a large loin section and specify 1.5" thickness. I bought my chops at Whole Foods and tried a 1.5" ($7.99/lb) the first time (it must have been a pound chop because the price was $7.99) and a 1" (on sale for $5.99) the second time, as they had no 1.5" left. Both worked with this method.

Second, they recommend either a non-stick pan or a carbon-steel pan. I don't know what the second one means, but I checked and my all-clad are not carbon steel, so I used T-Fal non-stick.

Third, if you have time, sprinkle 3/4 tsp Diamond Kosher salt (not Morton) on each chop, refrigerate for 1 hour, then blot moisture off before cooking. I did and think it helps.

1/2 tsp black pepper

Add your chop(s) to the cold pan, rotating their bone structure so they nest together like yin/yang symbol. But not touching.
At the mark, flip the chops, switch the pan to the lower temperature burner and continue the 2 minute flip process for 10-15 minutes. As you get near the end time, pan should be sizzling. If not, increase heat slightly. If pan is smoking, reduce heat. Remove when interior tests 140 degrees. Transfer to carving board and let rest for 5 minutes. Season with sea salt if necessary.

Marilyn's Notes:
I did the pre-salting.
My first 1.5" chop took 16 minutes to reach 140 degrees, holding the chop with tongs and inserting my Thermapen in through the side of the chop. Avoid the bone. The 1" chop only took 12 minutes. Both exuded a wonder juice that I poured over the slices.
Also, I have an electric (ugh) stove, which is why I'm talking about using two different burners. Lucky people with gas stoves can just reduce from high heat to medium heat.
Marilyn, it took me a while, but I finally got to this. I have always been disappointed over the dryness of chops. I found a free range and 1.25" chop, froze it, cooked it tonight and SUCCESS. I still won't enjoy it another time and do have another half to eat, but the process was such a draw and I'm glad I tried it.

Really.

1/2 tsp black pepper

Marilyn's Notes:
I did the pre-salting.
Oh I’m glad to hear this turned out well! I’d saved the recipe from atk (I try to go look to see what I want to try in current seasons, so I can save for free).

Here is the photo from the recipe. And here is a link to the video of them making the recipe (currently freely viewable).

A nice tip for those of us with electric stoves:

Technique: Cold-Searing On An Electric Stovetop​

ILO_Pork_Chop_Stovetop_osdvwg

Electric stoves can be slow to respond to a cook's commands. This can pose a problem with our cold-searing method, which requires an initial blast of high heat followed by a quick turndown to medium heat. However, there's a simple work-around: As you cook your chops on high heat on one burner, preheat a second burner to medium heat. After the initial sear, transfer the pan to the medium-heat burner and continue cooking.

Technique: Temping Bone-In Pork Chops​

STP_Pan-Seared_Thick_Cut_Bone-in_Pork_Chops_temping_410_eorqrp

When taking the temperature of your chop, use tongs to lift the meat from the pan and then insert the thermometer sideways into the center of the chop, avoiding the bone.

Attachments

• 6FFA4EAB-08A8-4690-BFE6-04F3E3BC2F6A.jpeg
    6FFA4EAB-08A8-4690-BFE6-04F3E3BC2F6A.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Oh I’m glad to hear this turned out well! I’d saved the recipe from atk (I try to go look to see what I want to try in current seasons, so I can save for free).

Here is the photo from the recipe. And here is a link to the video of them making the recipe (currently freely viewable).

A nice tip for those of us with electric stoves:

Technique: Cold-Searing On An Electric Stovetop​

ILO_Pork_Chop_Stovetop_osdvwg

Electric stoves can be slow to respond to a cook's commands. This can pose a problem with our cold-searing method, which requires an initial blast of high heat followed by a quick turndown to medium heat. However, there's a simple work-around: As you cook your chops on high heat on one burner, preheat a second burner to medium heat. After the initial sear, transfer the pan to the medium-heat burner and continue cooking.

Technique: Temping Bone-In Pork Chops​

STP_Pan-Seared_Thick_Cut_Bone-in_Pork_Chops_temping_410_eorqrp

When taking the temperature of your chop, use tongs to lift the meat from the pan and then insert the thermometer sideways into the center of the chop, avoiding the bone.
Yep, I had no problem with the heat and I have electric. I just made sure the elements were ready when the meat was ready. I am actually surprised at how well this worked. And I would make it again if I make some chutney that I like with pork. It needs it.

ROASTED PEAR CHUTNEY
The most difficult part of this recipe, other than assembling the ingredients, is marshalling the patience to wait while the chutney rests in the refrigerator. The chutney will keep for 2 weeks, as long as it's covered and refrigerated.

2 ripe Bosc pears, peeled and cut in half
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
3 tablespoons currants
3 tablespoons golden raisins
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 cup diced mango (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.

2. Toss the pears with the lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of the sugar, the cinnamon, and cloves. Coat a sheet pan with half the vegetable oil. Set the pears cut side down on the pan. Brush the pears with the remaining oil. Roast until caramelized and tender, 40 to 50 minutes, depending on the degree of ripeness. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.

3. While the pears are roasting, bring the remaining ingredients to a boil in a nonreactive saucepan. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

4. Using a small spoon or a melon baller, scoop out the cores of the cooked pears. Cut the pears into 1/2-inch slices.

5. Combine the pears and the onion mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 day before serving.

Makes 2 to 3 cups.
The Hands of a Chef
January 2002
By Jody Adams and Ken Rivard
William Morrow

From Epicurious

My comments:
I serve it with pork tenderloin with cracked coriander crust.
I found roasting to be unnecessary.
I used Bartlett pears as that's what my tree gives me. They're just fine. But like other commenters, I found that the pears needed more time stove-top to reduce the liquid. Could have been because the Bartletts are very juicy.
I reduced the pepper flakes.
Have never used the mango and have loved it every time.

I make a huge batch in 2004 and canned it. Works well.

Back