What constitutes a well-stocked kitchen? (m)

This looks like mine too but add in many brands from around the world....

and in the freezer milk, hash browns, haddock, English pork suasages and pork pies....pantry polenta, quinoa, sugar beans, etc....also self-raising flour, Jungle oats, peppadews etc.
I have been teased that I have a small supermarket going on here...left over training from cruising days when it was miles until we got to a place big enough to find a good sized supermarket.

I can vouch for Cathy's pantry and actually got to see it last year. It's about the size of my....

guest room...LOL. I was, and am, sooooo envious. ;o)

Very impressive, all around! I'm doing better than I expected, barring...

...the more unusual types of vinegars and oils (although I did buy walnut oil today). Now I just have to be better at pulling all this stuff into balanced meals.

I have a very small house (about 1,000 square feet) with little storage space, so I have to be really sure I'll use something before I buy it. My pantry is basically three cabinets and a couple of shelves (plus the fridge).

This was very entertaining--thanks, everyone!

Amanda, I lived for 16 years in a house the size of yours before we built this one

I managed to have almost the same variety of things, just not the quantity (duplicates.) I can relate to your space problem. I had one tiny hall closet that we turned into a pantry space that also had to hold the vacuum, the family silver and all big pots, pans and gadgets I had. Before we were able to rearrange things and put in a small island in the kitchen I had only 4 square feet of counter space- and I catered 4 weddings out of there. I was very good at creative stacking but vowed when we built a house that the pantry was my number one priority. All through the design and drafting process there were many times when the drafting guy needed just one or two feet more of space and wanted to make the pantry smaller. "Don't. Touch. My. Pantry." Became the catch phrase. Believe me, now that I have it, I will never take it for granted.

Glad to see I'm not the only one smileys/wink.gif ...here's my list...

Pantry Items
I take great comfort in having lots of pantry items on hand. After stocking my pantry, stepping back, seeing the shelves full, it makes me feel very contented. However, I wish I could say I have a big walk-in pantry! Lots of my pantry (like boxed/canned goods) live on shelves in the garage. This is an old list I made awhile back, but I do tend to keep these (and now others) all on hand:

Vinegars:
Balsamic, red, white, rice, champagne, sherry, raspberry, and cider.

Oils/Fats:
Regular and Extra Virgin Olive, canola, sesame, peanut, chili, truffle: black and white, and some flavored oils. Also, butter - regular and unsalted, spray oil like Pam, and Crisco (shortening).

Fruits/ Veggies:
Garlic, shallots, leeks, lettuce, carrots, celery, apples: red/green, onions, oranges, fresh ginger root, potatoes: red & baking, plus others that change like Yukon golds. Meyer lemons from my tree. As well as a selection of seasonal vegetables and fruits.

Rice/ Beans:
Dried beans & grains (long-grain rice, basmati rice, arborio rice, jasmine rice, wild rice, white and brown rice, some flavored like rice-a-roni), lentils, bulgur, and other favorites.

Breads:
Sliced sourdough, loaf sourdough or loaf sourdough w/garlic & rosemary, white/wheat bread, tortillas, and assorted crackers.

Nuts:
Walnuts, pecans, cashews, almonds, macadamias, and pine. (Also glazed for salads and such.)

Herbs Fresh:
Rosemary, thyme, cilantro, sage, basil, dill, mint, (tarragon if you like it) and parsley.

Seasonings:
Salt - sea/kosher, whole peppercorns: both black and white, cracked black pepper, Lawry’s seasoning salt, old bay seasoning, liquid smoke, Jane’s Krazy Mixed Up Salt, bouillon cubes (to enrich quick stocks), Mrs. Dash, Cajun seasonings, garlic salt, lemon-pepper seasoning, George Washington seasoning. Dried herbs/spices: Allspice, anise, arrowroot, basil, bay leaves, caraway, cardamom, cayenne pepper, celery seed, chervil, chives, chili, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, cumin, curry, dill, fennel, filé, five spice blend, ginger, herbs de provence, mace, marjoram, mint, mulled, mustard, nutmeg, oregano, paprika-Hungarian, parsley, poppy seed, red pepper, rosemary, sage, savory, sesame, tarragon, thyme, and turmeric.

Pasta:
De Cecco; various styles and types including whole wheat, artichoke, spinach, garlic, sun-dried tomato, and various boxed mac 'n cheeses.

Canned/Boxed:
Tomatoes: whole peeled/crushed/diced Italian style/paste/sauce, evaporated, dry and sweetened condensed milk, corn, pumpkin, yams, dulce de leche, mandarin oranges, olives, artichoke bottoms, bread & corn flake crumbs, marinated/reg. artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, sliced water chestnuts, sliced mushrooms, crab, tuna, oysters, clams, chilies/jalapenos, shrimp, assorted beans, Knorr’s leek soup mix, various soups, and a supply of low sodium broths in case I run out of my own. Hot chocolate and of course cat food!

Jars/Etc:
Minced garlic, roasted red peppers, jams/jellies, nutella, peanut butter, maple & other syrups, apple sauce, soy sauce, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, butterscotch sauce, teriyaki sauce, Worcestershire sauce (reg. & white wine), Lea & Perrins steak sauce, mustards (Dijon (reg. & white) /prepared/honey/whole grain), sun-dried tomatoes dried/in oil, various dried mushrooms, assorted chutneys, cocktail sauce, mayonnaise, salsa, capers, tomato paste in a tube, pickles, relish, horseradish, hot sauces, hoisin & plum sauces, salad dressings, bottled marinades, bbq & other sauces, ketchup (reg/sugar free), and many types of olives.

Freezer:
Homemade stocks, butter (reg. & unsalted), phyllo dough, puff pastry, a bag of boneless skinless chicken breasts, fruit: berries/pineapple/peach/papaya/ mango (great for smoothies), frozen pizza, shrimp, crab, ice cream, spinach - chopped, cranberries (Steve - I found them crammed in the back!), wild salmon, ginger, meats: pork chops/pork tenderloin, tri-tip, steaks, lean ground beef/bacon/prosciutto/ground turkey/sausages, pie crusts, nuts, and juices. Oh - plus frozen strawberry daiquiris! Note: except for the chopped spinach, I get all my veggies fresh and organic. We’re lucky to have a year round farmers market.

Drinks:
A few sodas, Paradise Tropical Tea bags - decaf (a must as I can no longer tolerate caffeine). Coffees/teas, and bottled waters. Bottled Italian sodas/French lemonades. Cocktail mixers like cranberry juice, tonic water, and club soda.

Liquor:
Sherry, Port, Marsala, Madeira, a good Chardonnay, and a case of Cabernet. Also, Tequila, Vodka, Bourbon, Whiskey, Rum, Vermouth, Kahlua, Irish Cream, Grand Marnier, Cointreau, Triple Sec, Chambord, Lemoncello, Amaretto, and Anisette. All should be drinkable. Note: I cook with all of these.... OK the case of red is for me! Also, beer, margarita mix/etc, and I always keep a couple of bottles of champagne on ice, ‘cause you never know when you might feel the need to celebrate or have mimosas with breakfast!

Refrigerator:
Butter, cream, milk, sour cream, eggs, bacon, pate, powdered buttermilk, chocolate and caramel syrup; Cheeses: feta, blue, parmesan, cheddar, pepper, havarti, cream, cottage, ricotta, gouda, provolone, mozzarella, gruyére, brie, and sun-dried tomato/basil pesto cream cheese torte from Trader Joe’s for a quickie spread. Also, the flavored Rondelé type cheese spreads make quick work of roll-up sandwiches and are a great quick add to stuffed mushrooms if you’re short on time. Various deli meats.

Baking:
Flour: all purpose/unbleached/whole wheat, various cake mixes, corn bread mix, sweet-n-low, sugar (powdered/reg./super fine/crystal/brown (lt & dark)/Splenda & SomerSweet), honey, molasses, karo syrups (lt & dark), cornmeal, rolled oats, vanilla extracts (real) & beans, yeast, cream of tartar, almond paste, marzipan, almond/peppermint/coconut/rum/various extracts, unsweetened, bittersweet, and semi-sweet chocolate, white chocolate, semi-sweet, toffee, cinnamon, and white chocolate chips, unsweetened cocoa, Dutch processed cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cornstarch, raisins, craisins, various sprinkles/toppings, hazelnut spread, food coloring, brownie mix, muffin mixes, gelatin, various jellos and pudding mixes, marshmallows, and various candy bars, vanilla or chocolate wafer cookies to add in.

Misc.:
There are always some hidden yummy chocolates I can put out... and just for me (when I’m being bad...) toll house cookie dough to eat raw!

This is what I use it for

it is just simply dried kernels of corn. My favorite way is to simmer it in milk with a bit of sugar- it is delicious. I also use it in other recipes, sometimes in soups. Sometimes it is cooked in milk/sugar before it is dried and if so, I just cook in water or milk and add a bit of butter at the end. I use it for scalloped corn that is baked too. The batch of dried corn I have right now was sent by a friend from Western PA where it is a common staple.

They have some thin-crust pizzas from Italy and an Alsatian-style ham, cheese and onion tart

that I'm totally hooked on right now. They all go frozen right onto the oven rack. They have good frozen taquitos and gnocci with tomato sauce and mozz. They have lots of good fresh things too but I like to have the frozen stuff on hand for emergencies.
That Alsatian-style tart is one of the main reasons I go to TJs. SIL was a French teacher and travels to France to visit friends she made when taken students on trips over there so she is a real Francofile. She made a Nicoise salad and served one of these along side it and, well, let's just say it was the best food she's ever made.

They have some thin-crust pizzas from Italy and an Alsatian-style ham, cheese and onion tart

that I'm totally hooked on right now. They all go frozen right onto the oven rack. They have good frozen taquitos and gnocci with tomato sauce and mozz. They have lots of good fresh things too but I like to have the frozen stuff on hand for emerge

LOL Cathy! That's not a kitchen--that's a supermarket! AND it's better stocked than my local Kroger!
Definitely better stocked than Kroger has been for years, since before the pandemic! When they started trying to use a just-in-time delivery method, they really screwed up. I mean who the heck runs out of baking powder of any and every brand?

Thought I’d give this thread a bump to see how our needs have changed, or not. What are your pantry staples these days, and how have they changed since the pandemic?
Good thought. I have to admit that a lot of things I took for granted were missing from shelves so often, basics, that when I would see them that first 6 or so months, I started keeping a small stock of them instead of waiting until I wanted to make a certain dish to pick things up.

Back