What do you make for dinner (besides eating out or ordering in) ...

cindy-k-mi

when it's dinnertime and you haven't planned anything ahead of time? What are your dinner-in-a-hurry ideas? This seems to happen to me, only occasionally, and I would love some new ideas.

TIA, Cindy

Depends on if you live alone or have to plan for someone else.....

when I was working one of the best things about living alone was that I could plan my meal as I was driving home and no one could say me nay. My two favorites are frittatas of anything in the fridge or pasta and whatever. I have always, however, cooked in big batches and frozen things like soup, sauces, etc. Recently I made the whole pulled pork shoulder and sauce and froze small pkgs to pull out and heat up whenever the spirit moves me. God bless my microwave. Hope this is helpful.

Here's one of my favorite "hectic" day recipes. I don't have a name for...

it but it's really simple and really good. I'll assume you are cooking for two.

2 chicken breast halves
salt
pepper
garlic salt with parsley
fresh or dried bread crumbs
1 can cream of mushroom soup
cheddar cheese, grated

Salt and pepper chicken halves and sprinkle with garlic salt. Coat with bread crumbs and place in baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Top each breast half with generous blobs of cream of mushroom soup and bake in 350 oven for about 30 minutes or until cooked thru. Top with cheese and bake until melted, about 10 minutes.
I agree with aajay, when you have some time make up some things you love and then freeze. I have a stand up freezer and I think of it as a pantry. I make a delicious lasagna, chill completely and then cut in serving size pieces, wrap individually and freeze. I make Cuban roast pork, shred it and package in serving size packages, freeze and then I can make Cuban sandwiches. I do the same thing with Cuban black beans, chili and of course soup. I am not a great morning person so I even have ranchero sauce made and packaged and it's so nice to have the sauce ready for Huevos Rancheros for breakfast. Most things freeze well as long as packaged correctly. Hope this helps

My 'go-to's'

As long as I have a bag of:
frozen ravioli
frozen tortellini
or
frozen asian style veggies that I can mix with some precooked (homemade) b/s chicken breasts, I'm all set.

I really believe the trick to a fast dinner is to keep a well-stocked pantry..

Keep your freezer, pantry and refer stocked with the cuts of meat, fish, poultry you like. Take out to thaw in the morning.
I keep fresh produce, veggies, fresh lettuce, spinach, cheeses.
Sometimes during hectic days, we have been know to have baked potatoes and artichokes, with a simple salad on the side. Have a sip of wine while cooking the spuds and chokes. Yummy dinner!

REC: Quesadillas ~ a quick meal for a hectic day!

There are always certain staples that I have on hand like flour tortillas and cheese. Quesadillas are one of the quickest meals to make on the run. It has been so handy when we are routing the kids home from school and then out again on the way to sports practice etc. and only have 15 minutes to pack their stuff, eat and run out the door.

Here's what I do:

Warm the tortilla in a frying pan
turn and sprinkle w/ your favorite shredded cheese
Put another tortilla on top
Turn over. Cook until melted

(Does it get any easier than this?)

Use pizza cutter to cut into triangles
Serve w/ salsa, and/or sour cream

If you want to dress it up, put a piece of ham or "whatever" on the cheese.

If you are really in a hurry bring them on a paper plate to the car and they can eat while you drive!

Trader Joe's to the rescue >>

assuming you live near one. We always have their frozen "seafood mix" on hand, with scallops, shrimp and squid that can go frozen into a hot pan with some garlic and parsley, maybe some tomato sauce or whatever else is in the refrigerator. Meanwhile, boil up some of their parpadelle noodles and open a bag of thier salad. They also carry (at least in California) fresh salmon steaks stuffed with dilled couscous, 2 to a pack, that cook up in a few minutes. But my latest favorite is a "Taste of Alsace" frozen tart with caramelized onions, ham and creme fraiche that can go frozen right onto the oven rack. It's in the frozen appetizer section or with the frozen pizzas (also very good), in a green box.

No, I don't work for Trader Joe's, but I know my way around the store better than many people who do.

I make Zatarain's Dirty Rice ...

When I have time, I try to make life easier for those more frantic days I know are just around the corner. I poach chicken, cool and cut into cubes and freeze for casseroles. I also cook ground turkey with garlic and freeze. On truly frantic nights, I've been known to make the Zatarain rice mixes and just throw the precooked still frozen ground turkey in (it defrosts while it cooks in the rice). We also freeze meatloaves and casseroles -- but I find they taste better if I let them defrost a full 24 hours in the fridge.

I completely agree with KarenNOCA. The trick is having stuff on hand -- canned, dried, frozen.
We like Trader Joe's, too. We always have their breaded eggplant, sliced pepppers, and green beans in our freezer. I buy the chicken dumplings and precooked sundried tomato sausages at Costco -- the kids like them and they cook up quick.

I've been trying to plan a little more ahead lately. My kids are not very patient (I know -- I should work on teaching patience) and it's easier if I've made something earlier in the day than dealing with the 5 pm dinner whine.

When you are truly pressed for time, quesadillas can be nuked -- but

the flavor isn't as good as when it's made with a little oil in the pan!

This isn't really fast (20 min.), but....>>

I always seem to make risotto in chicken broth if I didn't plan anything. We always have it on hand, and you can add pretty much any kind of vegetable...
I like it with artichoke hearts and lemon zest; we've also done it with peas and leftover ham.
Add grated parmesan and it's comfort food. smileys/smile.gif

If all the meat is still in the freezer...BLT sandwiches; pasta with marinara sauce (bottled)...

with the addition of kalamata olives and parsley (raw fresh parsley brings pasta to a whole new level for me); home-made white sauce with onions, garlic, basil,canned tuna, sweet red peppers, and whatever cheese I have on hand ~ over egg noodles or toast or biscuits; a big green salad with everything but the kitchen sink; whole-wheat waffles (all-purpose flour plus some whole wheat)with fruit on the side; quickie vegetable chili; or soup and sandwiches (either canned or frozen homemade soup); "hash" which is a bag of OreIda Potatoes O'Brien fried with extra onion, and mixed with cubed leftover beef or pork roast with a bit of leftover gravy added (just had this last night);or a box of Near East rice (one of the many great flavors) and whatever good vegetables or leftovers added that I have on hand. These are just a few of my desperation last-minute meals that come to mind. (I cater a bit to what my husband likes.) We're big on leftovers and usually have them in the refrige or freezer.

Chicken marsala is a 15 minute meal.Salmon

marinated in dark soy and put on the grill or grill pan. Lamb chops marinated in garlic, oil, and rosemary.
A roast chicken if you have an hour.

Quick Mexican Meal

I always have cans of refried beans and Dainty's Mexican Rice on hand, and tortillas at least in the freezer if not in the fridge. I can whip up some quick burritos or fajitas with ground beef or whatever kind of beef or chicken is in the fridge. If I don't have any defrosted meat, then it's bean and cheese burritos! Serve that with tortilla chips and salsa and the kids are always happy.

And if it's REALLY hectic, then everyone gets a nuked Pogo to eat in the car. :eek:)

Salmon Cakes or stir fries

I can have this on the table in 30 minutes starting with nothing prepared:

salmon cakes (canned salmon, herbed bread crumbs, minced onion and celery, egg)

Hard-boiled eggs (and if I have time I make dressed eggs)

Peas with dill butter

And a potato: parsleyed, mashed, or soup (extra time, but not much: just boil the potatoes in milk and butter until quite soft, add some chicken soup base if you have it, or stir in some cream cheese or sour cream, season or garnish with dill)

I got this one from my grandmother who would have to prepare dinner after working all day.

The other really quick dinner is just raid the fridge and throw it into the wok. Sauce it and it's done in about 20 min. start to finish. If protien is low, I'll throw in a can of garbanzos or some such. Of course, you need to have a well stocked fridge and leftovers to do this.

A few tricks up my last-minute sleeve- some RECs

Here are six last-minute dinner RECs I use sometimes- I stir-fry or grill for last-minute meals too. I keep my pantry and freezer well-stocked. We do not eat out and there is nowhere here that delivers so I always try to have as much on hand as I can.

LACQUERED SALMON WITH A CARMELIZED BALSAMIC SAUCE

1/3 cup sugar on a plate
4 salmon filets
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce

for sauce: 1/2 cup Balsamic vinegar and 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce, cooked in saucepan until volume is reduced to 1/3 cup.

Dip salmon filets in sugar (one side only) and fry sugar side down in very hot pan until carmelized. Turn over in pan, turn down heat and add chicken broth and soy sauce. Cover and let finish cooking- about 5 minutes. Put salmon on plate and drizzle with sauce.

PASTA WITH SCALLOPS
(serves 2) from Marcella Hazan

1 lb scallops
½ C plus 1 T olive oil
1 T garlic, chopped fine
2 T parsley, chopped fine
¼ tsp or more chopped hot red pepper, dried or fresh
salt to taste
1 lb fresh linguini or spaghetti
½ cup toasted bread crumbs
Rinse and dry scallops and cut into 3/8” thick pieces. Put the oil and garlic in saucepan and sauté over medium heat until garlic turns a light brown. Add the parsley and hot pepper, stirring once or twice. Add the scallops and cook for about 1 minute until they turn a flat white. Turn off heat. Cook the pasta in salted boiling water and when almost done, turn on the heat under the sauce pan to high and cook just 30 seconds. If scallops throw off juice do not try to boil down. Drain pasta, throw in bowl and mix in sauce and the breadcrumbs.

KRISS’ POCKETS (Serves two)
I made this up years ago, and it’s still a favorite at our house. Make sure you use the refrigerated dressing not just any bottled kind.

2 whole pita bread loaves
1/2 lb ground beef or ground turkey
1 small onion, chopped
4 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1 green pepper, chopped or 1/2 C chopped and blanched broccoli
1 oz. sliced black olives (optional)
1/2 to 1 jar of Marie’s Creamy Italian Salad Dressing (find it in the refrigerated section-could use Marie's Caesar dressing too)
1 T thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 small chopped tomato

Brown ground meat; add onion and green pepper. Cook a few minutes. Add mushrooms, cook 5 minutes more, then drain, and cool down about 5 minutes. Add dressing and mix with seasonings and olives.
Fill pocket bread with mix and chopped tomato.

CATHY'S EASY TACO SALAD

1 can Hormel Turkey Chili with Beans
1 onion, chopped
1 C Pace Picante Sauce
1 small green pepper, chopped
1/2 cup sliced pitted black olives
1 small head Romaine Lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
1/2- 1 C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Tortilla Chips as desired

Mix Chili, onion, Pace Picante Sauce, green pepper and olives in a 3-quart saucepan and turn burner to medium. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally for 5-10 minutes. Turn heat off and let cool down to almost room temperature. Divide lettuce in two pasta or other wide bowls. Pour chili mixture over lettuce and add all but 4 T of the cheddar. Mix. Make a ring of tortilla chips around the edge of the bowl. Sprinkle remaining cheddar over the top.

SAUSAGE-LENTIL SOUP

1 onion, chopped
2 T butter
6 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 lb dry lentils, rinsed and picked over
1 lb polish sausage, cut in small chunks
1 tsp salt
6 cups fresh spinach (or one package frozen, thawed and drained)
1 T lemon juice
1 tsp pepper
Sauté onion in butter until brown. Add water, lentils, sausage and salt, and bring to a boil. Skim fat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir in spinach, cover and cook until wilted. Add lemon juice and pepper; correct seasoning.

PASTA PRONTO (serves 2)
Made up one day for some friends that dropped in to visit

1 lb tortellini (refrigerated)
1 small chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, chopped
4 T butter
1 C cut-up broccoli
1/2 sliced red sweet pepper
1/2 C sliced black olives
1 C cream or half and half
1/2 C parmesan cheese
3 T chopped fresh basil

Cook tortellini; drain and set aside.
Melt butter in large pan. Sauté onion, garlic and broccoli until onion is transparent.
Add pepper, olives and cream. Bring to a boil and add tortellini, parmesan and basil. Cook 5 minutes and serve.
Variations: 1. Use asparagus instead of broccoli.
2. Add 1 C shrimp, crab or lobster for an extra treat.

I love Trader Joe's frozen chicken breasts, and their frozen fish>>>

are great too - with my new microwave, it really defrosts perfectly with no advance notice!

for the chicken, I have 2 favorites:

Chicken Tarragon:
2 chicken breasts, thawed
1-2 TBL butter
1/2 white wine
1 tsp fresh or 1/2 tsp dried tarragon

soak tarragon in the wine while defrosting the chicken, or for 15 minutes. Saute chicken in butter, turning, until cooked through ~ 5 min per side (if you are using a whole cut up chicken, it's 30 -45 minutes, covered, turning once). Remove chicken to a warm plate, add wine and tarragon to the pan, boil over high heat until reduced. Return chicken to the pan, coat in the sauce.

serve with rice or pasta, or my latest favorite, polenta (which cooks in 5 minutes!).

My other chicken favorite is a little similar, saute the chicken in oil or butter, toss in a little raspberry sauce (from Penzy's I think). so yummy - I like this one with peas or asparagus if they are around.

For the fish, I like TJ's tilapia fillets, steamed in my bamboo steamer with a little sliced onion, sesame oil, and whatever veggies I have (carrot, celery are always around) - nice with plain jasmine rice.

much better than ordering a pizza or Thai!

Back