What is your favorite holiday dinner or showstopper dessert?

White Chocolate Lemon Bombe

Lemon - White Chocolate Bombe
Serves 8-10
Food and Wine

Can be beautifully decorated for Christmas

2/3 c. lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
½ c. sugar
6 T. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3 eggs at room temp
Hot Milk Sponge Cake (follows)
9 ounces good-quality white chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 ½ c. heavy cream
¼ cup strained apricot preserves
2 tablespoons minced pistachio nuts

1. In a medium nonreactive saucepan, combine ½ cup of the lemon juice, the lemon zest, sugar and butter. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs until blended. Gradually whisk in the hot lemon mixture. Return to the saucepan and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until the mixture thickens. .. 2 to 3 minutes; do not let boil. Scrape the lemon curd into a medium howl and let cool completely. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, about I hour.

3. Spread the cold lemon curd evenly over the Hot Milk Sponge Cake and carefully roll it up jellyroll-style, starting at a long edge, to form a 17-inch-long log. Wrap the roll tightly in plastic wrap; freeze for at least 3 hours. or overnight.

4. Butter the bottom of a 6-c. bombe mold or bowl. Line it with a round of waxed paper or parchment.

5. Using a serrated knife, trip the ends of the frozen jellyroll. Slice the roil crosswise Into ¼ “ thick rounds. Reserve one-fourth of the slices and return them to the freezer. Beginning at the center of the mold and working toward the rim, line the bottom and sides with the jellyroll slices. Fit the slices tightly together so no spaces remain. Trim the cake even with the top of the mold; reserve any trimmings.

6. In a rnedium staInless steel bowl, combine the white chocolate, 2 teaspoons of the lemon juice and 1/4 cup of water. Place the bowl over a pan of very hot water. Stir the chocolate mixture until melted and smooth. Remove the mixture from the heat and let cool.

7. In a large bowl, beat the cream until soft peaks form. Fold one-fourth of the whipped cream into the melted white chocolate. Fold in the remaining whipped cream. Scrape the mousse into the jelly-roll lined mold.

8. Press about 2 cups of the reserved trimmings over the mousse to cover. Fit the reserved frozen jellyroll slices evenly over the trimmings, pressing them lightly into the mousse. Refrigerate for 4 hours, or overnight.

9. Unmold the bombe onto a decorative serving plate and carefully peel off the waxed paper.

10. In a small nonreactive saucepan, combine the apricot preserves with the remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Warm over moderate heat. stirring until melted and smooth. Brush the glaze over the outside of the cake. Press the pistachio nuts around the bottom edge of the bombe and serve.

HOT MILK SPONGE CAKE makes an 11x17" flat sponge cake

3/4 c. sifted cake flour
1 t. baking powder
½ c. milk
2 T. unsalted butter
3/4 c. sugar
3 whole eggs
3 egg yolks

1. Preheat the oven ~ 400. Butter the bottom and sides of an I I-by' 7-inch jellyroll pan and line the bottom with waxed paper or parchment.

2. Sift the flour with the baking powder twice.

3. In a small saucepan, heat the milk and butter over moderate heat until the butter melts, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.

4. In a large stainless steel bowl, combine the sugar, whole eggs and egg yolks. Set the bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is warm to the touch, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

5. Beat the egg mixture with an electric mixer on high speed until tripled in volume, cool and thick, 3 to 4 minutes. Sift one-third of the flour mixture over the batter and fold until just combined. Repeat twice more, until all the flour is used. Slowly pour the hot milk mixture over the top of the batter and fold to incorporate. Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pan.

6. Blake for 10 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown on top and springs back when lightly pressed in the centre. Let cool completely in the pan. Invert to unmold the cake onto a long sheet of waxed paper and peel off the paper on top. Turn the cake right-side up (the brown side should be face up. Let cool.

My notes on bombe:

1. Roll cake up shortly after removing from oven, cutting off edges of cake first. Do not let cake get even slightly dry before rolling.

2. Cut cake in half to roll.

Mexican Chocolate Icebox Cake in T&T, Devil's Food Cake w/Fluffy White Frosting (I use a dark

chocolate ganache), Strawberry Charlotte Russe, Orange Butter Cake...

Celebration Cake. This one got me upset when I thought I had left the recipe behind in all those

mags I gave away. I patted myself on the shoulder when I found that I had photocopied it. So now I've converted it. Whew! So glad you asked.

This is really a beautiful cake, that people have a hard time believing to be homemade. They ooh and aah over and that they really don't want to eat cuz it's pretty. And so so delicious. Not something you whip up in a moment though.

CELEBRATION CAKE

BON APPETIT - MAY 1979, ..... 8 to 10 servings

8 ounces shelled hazelnuts, toasted
8 ounces blanched almonds, toasted
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
8 egg whites, room temperature
1/3 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/3 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup slivered almonds

Buttercream
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
8 egg yolks, room temperature
1 ½ cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
Sifted powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350'F. Generously grease and flour 10x15-inch jelly roll pan. Combine 5 ounces hazelnuts and 5 ounces almonds in food processor fitted with steel knife and process until finely ground. Transfer to small mixing bowl. Reduce oven temperature to 300°F.

Add 3/4 cup sugar and all of flour to ground nuts and blend well. In large bowl beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt and continue beating until soft peaks form. Slowly add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff but not dry. Gently fold nut mixture, 2 tablespoons at a time, into whites, blending thoroughly. Carefully turn batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly to edges. Bake 45 minutes. Meringue should be firm, dry and lightly golden; if not, turn off heat and return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Using serrated knife, cut into four 10 x 3 3/4-inch rectangles. Cool completely in pan.

Generously oil marble slab or baking sheet. Combine 1/4 cup sugar with 1 tablespoon water in small heavy-bottomed saucepan. Place over medium heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking without stirring until mixture begins to caramelize, tilting pan in all directions to avoid scorching. When completely caramelized and golden, stir in slivered almonds. Pour onto prepared slab or baking sheet and allow to cool completely. Break into pieces and pulverize in food processor or blender. Set this praline powder aside.

Finely chop remaining nuts in food processor. Set aside for garnish.

For Buttercream:

Combine 1 cup sugar and 1/3 cup water in small saucepan and mix well. Cover pan, place over high heat arid bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and continue boiling, covered, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove cover and place candy thermometer into saucepan. If necessary, use damp brush or paper towel to wipe sugar crystals from side of saucepan. Boil uncovered until syrup reaches soft-ball stage (240 F).

Using electric mixer on low speed, begin beating yolks in large bowl while syrup boils. Leave mixer running while removing syrup from heat. Increase mixer speed to medium or medium-high and slowly pour syrup directly into yolks, being careful not to pour syrup onto sides of bowl or onto beaters. When all syrup is added, increase mixer speed to high and continue beating until completely cooled. When cool, reduce mixer speed to medium and begin adding butter 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. When all butter is incorporated, increase mixer speed to high and continue beating until creamy and thoroughly blended.

Remove 1 cup buttercream to separate bowl. Add vanilla and blend well. Set aside. Remove additional 3/4 cup buttercream to another bowl. Add 1/4 - 1/2 cup praline powder and blend well. Set aside. Beat cooled chocolate into remaining buttercream and blend well.

Carefully remove meringue rectangles from jelly roll pan using long spatula. Place 2 meringue layers side by side on baking sheet. Top one layer with praline buttercream mixture, spreading evenly to edges. Cover top of second layer evenly with vanilla buttercream mixture. Place remaining 2 meringue layers side by side on another baking sheet. Spread one layer with 1 cup chocolate buttercream mixture. Leave remaining layer unfrosted. Place layers in refrigerator for 5 to 10 minutes, or until fillings are slightly firm, but not hard.

To assemble:
With filling sides up, place praline layer on bottom, then chocolate layer, then vanilla layer. Set unfrosted meringue layer on top, smooth side up. Gently press down top of cake to seal layers. Frost sides of cake using remaining chocolate buttercream (do not frost top). Press reserved nuts gently into sides. Generously dust top with powdered sugar. Refrigerate. Transfer to platter and serve cool (filling should be firm but not hard). Cut with serrated knife.

If additional decoration is desired, increase buttercream recipe by one-third.

Any remaining praline powder can be stored in refrigerator indefinitely in tightly closed jar. Excellent over ice cream.

Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake with a shortbread crust painted with chocolate

This is amazing. I've made it many times. Just made it a few days ago for a dinner party. Stole the show. 40 oz of cream cheese and 7 eggs.....a major cheesecake for sure.

RASPBERRY SWIRL CHEESECAKE

Raspberry Sauce: 1 package (12 oz.) frozen Raspberries (not sugared), thawed and drained but reserve the juice.
1/3 cup sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
Add enough water to the raspberry juice to make 1-1/2 cup. Mix sugar and cornstarch in a sauce- pan. Stir in the juice and raspberries. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring frequently. Boil
and stir 1 minute; strain. Cool completely.
Crust: 2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup softened butter
2 egg yolks
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix together the above and press 1/2 of the mixture onto the bottom of a greased springform pan (without the ring on it) and bake just the bottom for 8-10 minutes. Cool. Assemble springform pan around baked bottom crust and press the rest of the crust mixture on the sides, going up about 2-1/2". Make sure it blends onto the bottom over the "break".
Cheesecake: 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
3 Tbsp whipping cream
40 oz cream cheese
1-3/4 cup sugar
3 Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup whipping cream, 5 eggs, 2 egg yolks
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips- chopped
Increase the oven heat to 475 degrees.
Cut a circle of foil larger than the cheesecake bottom to wrap the bottom of the springform in for baking so nothing leaks out. Heat the 1 cup semi-s. chips and 3 Tbsp cream. "Paint" on the bottom and sides of crust. Beat the cream cheese, sugar, flour, salt, cream and 2 eggs until smooth. Add the rest of the eggs and extra egg yolks one at a time. Stir in the chopped chips. Pour 1/2 of the batter in the crust. Spread 1/3 of the raspberry mixture by spoonfuls onto the batter. Swirl through the batter with a spatula- be careful! Repeat with another half of the cheesecake batter and then bake the cheesecake for 20 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 300 degrees and bake one hour. Turn off the oven and leave the cake in 15 minutes more. Spread reserved raspberrymixture over top and cool. Refrigerate at LEAST 12 hours before running a knife around the inside of the ring before loosening the springform pan.

REC: White Christmas Pie (at other times of the year I call this White Coconut Chiffon Pie!)

This recipe comes from a 1940 Ladies Aid Evangelical United Brethren Church cookbook that my mother, Elaine Wiggins, and her mother, Geneva Watkins, helped compile, type and assemble.

White Christmas Pie (Notes are from Wigs)
One 9-inch baked pie shell

Mix the following ingredients in a saucepan:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 envelope unflavored gelatin (I use Knox.)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Gradually add 1-3/4 cups milk to above dry ingredients while stirring. Place pan over medium heat. Stir constantly. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute.

Take pan off heat and place in a pan of cold water until the mixture mounds. After mixture mounds, blend in:

3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and
1/4 teaspoon almond extract

Carefully fold above mixture into a meringue made of:
3 egg whites (I use 4 egg whites.)
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar

Whip 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold whipped cream into cooked mixture containing meringue.

Fold 1 cup shredded coconut into pie filling. (I use Baker's Angel Flake sweetened coconut.)

Place filling into baked pie shell and refrigerate until set. (Before refrigerating, I sprinkle more shredded coconut on top of the pie filling.)

Another note from Wigs: I think it helps the pie filling set up better, i.e., it will be higher, if you freeze your pie shell after baking and cooling it. Then put the filling directly into the frozen pie shell before placing the pie in the refrigerator to set up.

9" springform with high sides

The batter will fill the pan to the top but won't spill over if you are careful.

Good luck- it is such a special cheesecake. It is a labor of love to make but worth it.

Not at all tried and true, and honestly, I can't recall the name. BUT, a few years ago, may have

been on Gails, someone pointed to a beautiful dessert that looked amazing. I believe it had a french name. It was lil individual puff balls that were stacked up on top of each other creating a beautiful presentation then the whole thing had some sort of sugar / caramel strings drizzled over. Anyone remember? I believe it was on epi. I have searched, but no luck.

Back