WHAT? No Super Bowl thread? If my darling Seahawks only go to the big game once every 30 years...

carianna-in-wa

you know we've got to party!

Bonnie's Buffalo Dip is on the menu for sure (was there ever a more perfect football food?)

And I'm also making my mom's recipe for crab puffs...

But what else? I need "Seahawks will win!" menu ideas. smileys/smile.gif

Gayle, I'll post it when I get home from school...

I'm crazy late this morning. (And yet I'm still checking Mimi's!)

It's basically a pate a choux with crab and some other stuff (green onions and tabasco for sure) and then deep fried. I serve it with store- bought plum sauce jazzed up with lime juice and sesame oil.

I'll post it later today. smileys/smile.gif

T & T Rec: Baked Olives and Feta

This is really good and goes fast. I also get other olives, stuffed with jalapenos, garlic, cured in hot oil, and whatever is in the olive bar.

Baked Olives and Feta

1 1/2 cups mixed imported olives, drained (do not use oil-cured olives)

1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme

2 teaspoons minced lemon zest

1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon fennel seeds

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 thick (7- to 8-ounce) piece feta cheese

In a small bowl, toss the olives with the thyme, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, fennel seeds and olive oil. Lightly oil the bottom of an 8- to 9-inch ovenproof skillet, such as cast iron.

Place the cheese in the center of the pan, then top with the marinated olive mixture. Use a rubber spatula to get all the goodies out of the olive-tossing bowl and onto the cheese. Some olives will stay on top of the cheese and some will fall to the side. At this point, you can cover and refrigerate the skillet for up to one day.

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Bake the cheese and olives for about 20 minutes, or until the cheese is soft and gooey. Serve immediately, right out of the pan, with slices of rustic bread, crostini or pita.

— From "Dishing with Kathy Casey," Kathy Casey, Sasquatch Books, 2002

I'm just as thrilled as you Carianna! Rec:Chicken Nuggets with Honey Mustard Sauce...

We have always been huge Seahawk fans since the first game. We went to every game until we moved in 1980 but have stayed with them this looong time! Steve Largent, Jim Zorn...what took so long? Right? Anyway you know we'll be cheering right along with you.
I'm anxious to try this Paula Deen recipe for chicken nuggets. They are "breaded" in sour cream flavored potato chips and are baked in the oven. And the recipe says they can be baked and then frozen and for a very busy you this could be a real help.
Enjoy the game!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_24909,00.html

Salsa Bites

These were yummy...and easy to throw together.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Salsa Bites

Recipe By : Katie
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

8 ounces cream cheese -- softened
1/3 thick and chunky salsa
2 large eggs -- lightly beaten
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons pitted ripe olives -- chopped
1 tablespoon green onion -- chopped
1 clove garlic
Additional salsa for topping -- optional

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Blend in salsa & eggs. Stir in cheddar cheese, olives, onion & garlic. Lightly spray 24 mini-muffin cups with vegetable oil spray. Fill to the top with the cream cheese mixture. Bake 15-18 minutes or until centers are set. Remove from oven; cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove from pan & finish cooling on a wire rack. Top with additional salsa just before serving, if desired.
Recipes from the Heart Cookbook by The Pampered Chef

Another "Seahawks will beat the Steelers" Rec! CROSTINI WITH MUSHROOMS, PROSCIUTTO, AND BLUE CHEESE

This is really tdf. I double the amount of garlic.

CROSTINI WITH MUSHROOMS, PROSCIUTTO, AND BLUE CHEESE

3 tablespoons butter
1/2 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps chopped
4 ounces crimini mushrooms, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (about 2 ounces)
1/2 cup chopped thinly sliced prosciutto (about 2 1/2 ounces)
18 1/2-inch-thick diagonal bread slices cut from 1 sourdough baguette
Chopped fresh parsley

Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add all mushrooms and garlic and sauté until mushrooms are cooked through and brown, about 10 minutes. Add cream and boil until liquid is completely absorbed, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add blue cheese and stir until cheese melts. Mix in prosciutto. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer mushroom topping to bowl. (Mushroom topping can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Preheat oven to 375°F. Arrange bread slices on baking sheet. Bake until just golden, about 5 minutes. Mound 1 generous tablespoon mushroom topping on each slice. Return to oven; bake until topping is heated through, about 6 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.

Makes about 18.

From: Bonnie Wilkens Metully of Cincinnati, Ohio. Sorry, I can't remember the site I got it from.

And a real fav! Roasted Garlic Decadence from Hell

Exported from MasterCook *

Roasted Garlic Decadence from Hell

Recipe By :Joy/Mimi's
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

3 heads garlic -- or more
olive oil
4 oz feta cheese
1 stick unsalted butter
1 sm can chopped green chiles (I use hot ones)
1/4 c sun-dried tomatoes -- softened
rosemary, fresh or dried -- to taste
3 tbsp sherry
salt and pepper -- to taste
1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans

Roast the garlic in the olive oil. Squeeze the roasted garlic into the bowl of a food processor. Combine the rest of the ingredients (except the pecans) in the food processor and whiz until smooth. Put the mixture in a bowl and mix in the pecans. Chill until firm. Serve with crackers.

I got this from my friend Katie and have served it often and it is always requested. It is great, warm, as a dip as well as a super cracker spread.

Black Bean-Corn Salsa Dip

No real recipe, just add a can of drained black beans with a rinsed small can of corn, throw in some diced tomato, chopped onion, hot sauce, garlic powder, a tablespoon or so of butter, and scallions for color. Simmer until onions are done, and serve with tortillas or potato chips.

There was a recipe once, I'm sure, but that was long ago! Just add hot sauce according to your taste. I like just a little (1 tsp).

Wasabi spread with smoked salmon andwith ginger pickled onions.

FIRECRACKER WASABI SPREAD WITH SMOKED SALMON AND GINGER PICKLED ONIONS
Makes about 24 crostini

Kathy Casey is a well known Seattle chef. She has some great recipes. She also has some products on the market. One is this firecracker wasabi spread. I found it very mild and not all that good. I just bought 8 ounces of cream cheese, added a little milk, some lime and powdered wasabi, to taste and felt it was much better and a lot hotter too! I've never made the pickled onions, but have garnished with thinkly sliced onion and it was great. One of these days I'll make the ginger pickled onions.

1 jar Dish D'Lish Firecracker Wasabi Spread
6 - 8 ounces smoked salmon- hard smoked or cold smoked
24 pieces crostini or pieces of artesian crackers
Ginger Pickled Onions, drained well and coarsely chopped (recipe follows)
Garnish: thinly sliced fresh chives

To serve: spread crostini with Firecracker Wasabi Spread and top with a small piece of smoked salmon and a pinch of the drained pickled onions. Sprinkle with chives for garnish if desired.

GINGER PICKLED ONIONS
Make this recipe at least 1 day ahead or you can make way in advance and keep refrigerated for up to two weeks.

2 tablespoons chopped, thinly shaved pink pickled ginger (the kind you get with sushi)
1 red onion, sliced 1/8-inch thick
1 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup water

Place ginger and onion in a small stainless steel bowl or heat-proof glass container. Combine vinegar and water in a small non-corrosive pot and bring to a quick boil over high heat. As soon as mixture is briskly boiling, pour it over the onions. Push onions down into the mixture with a spoon, and let cool. When mixture cools to room temperature, place a small heavy plate or bowl that will fit into the onion container on the onions to weight them down. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate, weighted down, overnight. Drain before serving.

http://www.kathycasey.com/recipes_party.html#04

REC: Mom's Crab Puffs

Mom’s Crab Puffs

4 T. butter
1 C. water
1 C. flour
4 eggs
½ t. Tobasco
3 T. green onions
1 C. crab meat

Bring water and butter to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in flour until well combined and pulling away from the sides of the pan. Stir in eggs, one at a time, making sure each is incorporated before adding the next. Add remaining ingredients and deep fry in dollops until golden brown and crisp.

(These are mom's directions. Basically, you make a choux batter and stir in the crab and onions and tobasco... or whatever floats your boat. I usually add a little more crab and a little more tobasco. Sometimes I add cilantro.)

Mom always serves these with sweet and sour sauce (made from a package, I'm sure...), but I prefer a good quality plum sauce doctored up with a little sesame oil and lime juice.

Can't speak for Pittsburgh, but I think of dungeness crab and salmon

when I think of the Seattle area. Anything with smoked salmon would be a great addition. I'm not worrying about specific "area" foods for our party though... I'm assuming that anything I serve will be "Seahawks Win!" food. smileys/smile.gif

I'm thinking a concoction of some peach or apricot preserves with some ginger might be goood...

But then your plum sauce and sesame oil sounds great, tooo!

Thanks, hon!

Back