WHAT? No Super Bowl thread? If my darling Seahawks only go to the big game once every 30 years...

REC: Maple BBQ Oven-Roasted Wings

Maple BBQ Oven-Roasted Wings
from On Fire in the Kitchen, by Ted Reader

3 lb jumbo chicken wings (8-10/lb)
2 T Bone Dust BBQ Spice (see recipe below)
2 T vegetable oil
½ c BBQ sauce
¼ c brown sugar
¼ c maple syrup
2 T butter, melted
1 T lemon juice

Remove wing tips and cut the wings in half at the joint. In a large bowl, combine the wing pieces, Bone Dust BBQ Spice and oil. Mix to evenly coat. Marinate, covered and refrigerated, for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with foil.

In a large bowl, whisk together the BBQ sauce, sugar, maple syrup, butter and lemon juice. Set
sauce aside.

Arrange the wings in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, turning once, until wings are just cooked and evenly browned. Transfer wings to the sauce and toss to coat.

Return wings to the baking sheet and bake another 10 minutes or until sticky and crisp.

Serve immediately with Smoky Bacon Blue Cheese Dip (recipe follows).

Bone Dust BBQ Spice:

½ c paprika
¼ c chili powder
3 T salt
2 T sugar
2 T ground coriander
2 T garlic powder
2 T curry powder
2 T hot dry mustard
1 T black pepper
1 T dried basil
1 T dried thyme
1 T ground cumin
1 T cayenne pepper

Mix all ingredients together. Store in a tightly sealed container away from heat and light.

Makes about 2½ cups.

REC: Smoky Backon Blue Cheese Dip

Smoky Bacon Blue Cheese Dip

3 slices thick-cut double-smoked bacon
1½ c sour cream
½ c mayonnaise
½ c cream cheese
1 – 2 T lemon juice
1 tsp Bone dust BBQ Spice **(for recipe)
1 green onion, chopped
1 T fresh thyme, chopped
dash hot sauce
splash Worcestershire sauce
1 c Roquefort cheese, crumbled
salt
pepper

Cut the bacon into ¼” dice. In a frying pan over medium-high heat, fry the bacon until crisp.

Drain bacon on paper towels and let cool.

In a food processor, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, cream cheese, lemon juice and Bone Dust BBQ Spice. Blend until smooth. Add green onion, thyme, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce; pulse until mixed. Transfer to a bowl and stir in bacon and Roquefort cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Serve with chips, nachos, tortilla chips, vegetable sticks and pretzels.

Makes about 3½ cups.

** Bone Dust BBQ Spice - see post for Maple BBQ Oven-Roasted Wings

REC: Bahamian Grouper Fingers with Lime Aïoli

Bahamian Grouper Fingers with Lime Aïoli

Lime Aïoli:

1 anchovy fillet, mashed
¼ c potato, mashed
2 egg yolks
1 tsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp ground white pepper
2 limes, juice of
¾ c olive oil
salt

2 lb grouper fillet, boneless, skinless
1 lime, juice of
2 T Bone Dust BBQ Spice **(for recipe)
1 c vegetable oil
1 c all purpose flour
2 eggs

Prepare the Lime Aïoli: In a food processor, blend the anchovy, mashed potato, egg yolks, mustard, pepper and lime juice. With the motor running, add oil in a steady stream and blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt. Set aside.

Cut the grouper into finger-size pieces. In a bowl, gently toss the grouper with the lime juice and 1 tablespoon of the Bone Dust BBQ Spice.

Combine the flour and remaining 1 tablespoon Bone Dust in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, beat the eggs. Dip each grouper finger in the egg, letting the excess drip off, and then dredge in the flour.

In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Fry the grouper fingers in batches, without crowding the pan, for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until golden brown and cooked through. Drain on paper towels.

Serve with the Lime Aïoli.

Serves 6.

** Bone Dust BBQ Spice - see post for Maple BBQ Oven-Roasted Wings

Seahawks winning Crab Stuffed Jalapeno Peppers

I've had these once and they are addicting!

INGREDIENTS:
12 large jalapeno peppers

4 ounces Dungeness crabmeat, well drained
1/3 cup minced red onion
1/4 cup minced green bell pepper
1/4 cup mayonnaise

1/2 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup beer

Corn oil (for deep frying)
All purpose flour
1/2 Hass avocado, peeled, diced
1/2 cup mild salsa, drained
1 tablespoon mayonnaise

•PREPARATION:
Starting just below stem, cut chiles lengthwise in half, leaving stems attached. Seed chiles. Place chiles in heavy medium saucepan. Cover with cold water and bring to simmer. Drain. Repeat process. Dry chiles with a paper towel.

Combine crab, onion, bell pepper and mayonnaise in small bowl. Season with

salt and pepper. Fill chile cavities with crab mixture. Press chile halves together to compress filling. (Can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)

Place 1/2 cup flour in bowl. Gradually whisk in beer. Let stand 30 minutes.

Heat oil in heavy deep pot to 375°F. Whisk batter to smooth. Dredge jalapeños in flour. Holding stem end, dip into batter to coat completely and deep-fry in batches until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer jalapeños to paper towels and drain. Combine avocado, salsa and mayonnaise in small bowl. Season to taste. Arrange chiles on platter. Garnish with salsa.

Makes 12

http://www.thegutsygourmet.net/crabby.html

Oh jeez, that's a good question. I'm going to take a stab and say 24-36 or so using

my Tablespoon-sized cookie scoop. Mom may make hers bigger. I think she uses the 2 spoon method. That's only a stab at it though, I don't think I've ever counted! Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

It's also in the "Favorites" forum here. The guys in your group will love it...

I made it for a work party, and the men just hung around my dish until it was gone. It's a guy kind of thing.

I feel like such a dolt...I had seen it before, read the rave reviews

and even looked in the favorites and still didn't see it, though it was before I had my morning latte. I even did a search but spellied "Bonnie" wrong. Duh!

Thanks!

Steeler food

1) pierogies

2) kelbassa

3) BBQ chipped chopped ham sandwiches

Try this one (can be doubled, tripled even, but MUST be baked...)

1 lb. kielbassa sausages, sliced in thin coins
1 c. light brown sugar, packed
1 c. Heinz ketchup
1 c. bourbon

Combine sauce ingredients, add kielbassa, bake for 45 - 60 minutes. Serve with toothpicks. I usually triple this, depending on how many are coming...

BTW: STEELERS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Black and Gold!

Cyndi

Back