What to add to this superbowl menu?

mariadnoca

Host neighbors are providing Nachos, Shrimp Cocktail, Veggie Tray, and Bean Dip. There will be 8 of us, two of which are 12 yro. All of us are no spicy. (I’m hoping host’s mom will bring her yummy guacamole.)

Trying to think what to bring given none of us want to miss even 20 seconds of the game, especially me! Go niners! 🏈
So nothing to fuss with once game starts. Will likely bring grabble cookies or brownies, but think we need another savory? Nothing messy.

Thoughts?

Charlie's Couscous Carnivale salad comes to mine. It can be made ahead of time and makes you feel remotely healthy...I'm not sure why. But I do know that it is delicious.

It's in the T&T under salads

Well, at least you will be watching mid-afternoon so really no "meal" required. Would some kind of little sandwich cut in quarters be good? Pimento cheese/egg or chicken salad/such? Maybe even ham and swiss? Men get hungry when watching other men beat their brains out!!

Host neighbors are providing Nachos, Shrimp Cocktail, Veggie Tray, and Bean Dip. There will be 8 of us, two of which are 12 yro. All of us are no spicy. (I’m hoping host’s mom will bring her yummy guacamole.)

Trying to think what to bring given none of us want to miss even 20 seconds of the game, especially me! Go niners! 🏈
So nothing to fuss with once game starts. Will likely bring grabble cookies or brownies, but think we need another savory? Nothing messy.

Thoughts?
These sliders are the perfect grab and go snack. There are good substitutions for ham, etc. BJ's sells the two pack of Hawaiian rolls almost for the price of one in a regular grocery store, if you wanted to double. I always assemble these the night before through Step 4 and pop in the oven the next day. I think these are also posted on this site somewhere....

Consider this cheesy, savory and slightly sweet snack the ultimate party food: Made with pull-apart

Hawaiian rolls, these baked ham and cheese sliders, brushed with a buttery glaze, are much easier to

assemble than individual sandwiches and are sure to please a crowd. Feel free to play around with the

meat and cheese, substituting turkey or roast beef for the ham, and Cheddar, Provolone or your

favorite melting cheese for the Swiss. These sliders can also be doubled for large groups; just use a

sheet pan instead of a 9-by-13-inch pan for baking

Ham and Cheese Sliders

By Lidey Heuck (NYT recipe)

Updated Jan. 26, 2024

Total Time 35 minutes

Prep Time 5 minutes

Cook Time 30 minutes

Rating (658)

INGREDIENTS

Yield: Makes 12 sandwiches

1 (12-ounce) package Hawaiian

sweet rolls

2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon

Dijon mustard

½ pound thinly sliced cooked deli

ham

½ pound thinly sliced Swiss cheese

4 tablespoons unsalted butter,

melted

2 teaspoons minced dried onion

2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon honey

1 teaspoon poppy seeds

¼ teaspoon kosher salt (such as

Diamond Crystal)

PREPARATION

Step 1

Heat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan

with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two sides.

Step 2

Slice the whole sheet of rolls in half horizontally, without breaking

apart the individual rolls.

Step 3

Place the bottom half in the prepared pan, cut-side up, and spread

2 tablespoons of the mustard on top. Add half of the ham, layering

it evenly over the bread, followed by all of the cheese. Add the

remaining ham and finally, the top half of the rolls.

Step 4

In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, the remaining 1

teaspoon mustard, dried onion, Worcestershire, honey, poppy

seeds and salt. Brush the mixture all over the tops and sides of

the bread.

Step 5

Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake,

uncovered, until the tops of the rolls are toasted, about 5 minutes.

Step 6

Using the overhang, carefully lift the parchment paper and

transfer to a cutting board. Cut into individual sandwiches with a

large, serrated knife and serve hot.

These sliders are the perfect grab and go snack. There are good substitutions for ham, etc. BJ's sells the two pack of Hawaiian rolls almost for the price of one in a regular grocery store, if you wanted to double. I always assemble these the night before through Step 4 and pop in the oven the next day. I think these are also posted on this site somewhere....

Consider this cheesy, savory and slightly sweet snack the ultimate party food: Made with pull-apart

Hawaiian rolls, these baked ham and cheese sliders, brushed with a buttery glaze, are much easier to

assemble than individual sandwiches and are sure to please a crowd. Feel free to play around with the

meat and cheese, substituting turkey or roast beef for the ham, and Cheddar, Provolone or your

favorite melting cheese for the Swiss. These sliders can also be doubled for large groups; just use a

sheet pan instead of a 9-by-13-inch pan for baking

Ham and Cheese Sliders

By Lidey Heuck (NYT recipe)

Updated Jan. 26, 2024

Total Time 35 minutes

Prep Time 5 minutes

Cook Time 30 minutes

Rating (658)

INGREDIENTS

Yield: Makes 12 sandwiches

1 (12-ounce) package Hawaiian

sweet rolls

2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon

Dijon mustard

½ pound thinly sliced cooked deli

ham

½ pound thinly sliced Swiss cheese

4 tablespoons unsalted butter,

melted

2 teaspoons minced dried onion

2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon honey

1 teaspoon poppy seeds

¼ teaspoon kosher salt (such as

Diamond Crystal)

PREPARATION

Step 1

Heat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan

with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two sides.

Step 2

Slice the whole sheet of rolls in half horizontally, without breaking

apart the individual rolls.

Step 3

Place the bottom half in the prepared pan, cut-side up, and spread

2 tablespoons of the mustard on top. Add half of the ham, layering

it evenly over the bread, followed by all of the cheese. Add the

remaining ham and finally, the top half of the rolls.

Step 4

In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, the remaining 1

teaspoon mustard, dried onion, Worcestershire, honey, poppy

seeds and salt. Brush the mixture all over the tops and sides of

the bread.

Step 5

Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake,

uncovered, until the tops of the rolls are toasted, about 5 minutes.

Step 6

Using the overhang, carefully lift the parchment paper and

transfer to a cutting board. Cut into individual sandwiches with a

large, serrated knife and serve hot.

Sound good, but I won’t have access to the oven. They are making nachos and given I don’t want to miss anything, I need something completely do ahead/already completed when I arrive to their house.

Well, at least you will be watching mid-afternoon so really no "meal" required. Would some kind of little sandwich cut in quarters be good? Pimento cheese/egg or chicken salad/such? Maybe even ham and swiss? Men get hungry when watching other men beat their brains out!!
It doesn’t start till 3:30 here so it will run over into dinner time. That’s why I was thinking we might need something more filling. I’d thought maybe a big full sourdough loaf sandwich I could cut into finger sizes, but not sure what kind would pair with the Mexican food. Sourdough represents San Francisco. Another thought is something crab, (because they are serving shrimp cocktail ) now that Dungeness crab finally came in into season. That’s very SF. However, around here crab sandwiches are normally crab melts and I don’t wanna get into trying to prep anything last minute. Plus, they will be prepping food and I’d be in their way.

Sound good, but I won’t have access to the oven. They are making nachos and given I don’t want to miss anything, I need something completely do ahead/already completed when I arrive to their house.
I think they would be fine at room temperature, after being baked before you get there. Or perhaps a hot plate?

I agree with Mo that these are fine at room temp. These have been a family favorite forever. I do grate fresh onion. AND rather than Hawaiian rolls which I use also but are large if you can find Martin's party rolls they are wonderful. It was originally written for Pepperidge Farms party rolls but these seem to have disappeared. You might cut along the pull apart lines prior to baking because melty cheese makes for the sandwich to slide. I also have used white American cheese sliced at the deli--it is a sure fire melter. ANd you can run this in the nuker for 10-15 seconds if you think warm would be better
Personally I don't think you have to mesh with the Tex-mex.

This week has gotten away from me. It’s turned into one of those if I can go wrong, it will go wrong…and then wrong some more weeks. Plus, I started physical therapy again…and my excitement for cooking has left the building. I’ve decided to make the rick bayless Mexican chocolate streusel cake from here with cinnamon ice cream for dessert. It’s pretty quick to turnout and I have everything already.

Would the (easy!) seven layer fiesta type dip be too competitive with the menu/bean dip? i might nix bringing anything else if you think so. (A friend told me it was, so now am not sure.)

We’ve had nonstop rain and the wind, in nearby Los Gatos (mar, I know you have a friend there) was gusting to 87 mph. I lost some shingles and the fence gave up the ghost.

Yes, I think so too. But I will tell you that if you want to make a retro dip that will disappear make the spinach/Knorr vegetable soup mix one--or even the artichoke heart/parm (it won't matter when it cools off or it could be reheated).
You could just go get some of the parmesan crisp crackers to eat out of hand! mixed nuts?

How about a smoked salmon spread with crackers or baguette slices.
Baked brie with some sort of topping--honey and walnuts.
Or just brie and cracker

Last time I brought the spinach dip with this crowd nobody ate it. And it’s normally devoured. Salmon and such aren’t kid friendly enough as they can be picky. Plus, I already bought everything for the layer dip and two bags of chips, so think I’ll give up on an appetizer. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Not talking about the artichoke spinach dip--just to clarify. Not "bought". Knorr dry veggie soup mix, frozen spinach, sour cream and maybe other stuff. Entirely different and here people want to eat it with a spoon!!
Everyone will love the layeredd dip

Yes, the cold spinach dip (I use knorr leek soup mix). A classic hit everywhere but this group. It might’ve been kids seeing green food I don’t know, but everyone went for the tex mex last time. Which was why I thought maybe the fiesta layer dip. I shouldn’t have bought everything for it already I guess. 😞

This week has gotten away from me. It’s turned into one of those if I can go wrong, it will go wrong…and then wrong some more weeks. Plus, I started physical therapy again…and my excitement for cooking has left the building. I’ve decided to make the rick bayless Mexican chocolate streusel cake from here with cinnamon ice cream for dessert. It’s pretty quick to turnout and I have everything already.

Would the (easy!) seven layer fiesta type dip be too competitive with the menu/bean dip? i might nix bringing anything else if you think so. (A friend told me it was, so now am not sure.)

We’ve had nonstop rain and the wind, in nearby Los Gatos (mar, I know you have a friend there) was gusting to 87 mph. I lost some shingles and the fence gave up the ghost.
What if you substituted something else for the beans, maybe cooked ground beef, corn or chick peas, or just delete that layer, since you have everything else?

Seven layer dip…it’s what’s for dinner!

Was still craving this and turns out we didn’t have bean dip at sb party (unless you count layer in nachos). So made it for dinner tonight.

IMG_2480.jpeg

Back