White Chicken Chili

charley2

This was in the Times and I had all the ingredients including leftover rotisserrie chicken and some Hatch chiles I had roasted but my jalapenoes had gone south, so not those. It is delicious. I didn't use the cayenne peppers in the ingredients and did add a squeeze of Green Dragon sauce (Trader Joe's). My end product has some zing--either from the GD or my chiles. Will take it to the beach and add all the extras for serving.

• 2tablespoons olive oil
  • 1large yellow onion, chopped
  • 1large jalapeño pepper, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped
  • 2tablespoons minced garlic (about 5 cloves)
  • 1teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1teaspoon ground cumin
  • ½teaspoon sweet paprika or chili powder
  • Pinch of cayenne pepper, to taste
  • 1teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste (such as Diamond Crystal)
  • Freshly cracked black pepper
  • 4cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 2(15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2(4-ounce) cans diced green chiles
  • 2½ to 3cups cooked shredded chicken (from 1 roast chicken or rotisserie chicken)
  • 1cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
  • Half a lime, plus lime wedges for serving
  • Shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, pickled jalapeño slices, diced avocado, sour cream, chopped fresh cilantro and crushed tortilla chips, for serving (optional)

PREPARATION​

1. Step 1
    In a large Dutch oven or pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeño and cook, stirring often, until the onions are tender, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic, oregano, cumin, paprika, cayenne, salt and a few grinds of black pepper, and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
  2. Step 2
    Add the chicken broth, cannellini beans and diced green chiles with their liquid; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the broth has reduced by about half, 18 to 20 minutes. Off the heat, use a wooden spoon to mash some of the beans against the side of the pot. Continue mashing the beans until the broth is noticeably thicker.
  3. Step 3
    Return the pot to medium, stir in the chicken and corn, and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Juice the lime half over the pot, then taste for seasonings and add more salt, black pepper, and cayenne, if desired.
  4. Step 4
    Serve the chili in bowls topped as you like with a lime wedge, shredded cheese, pickled jalapeños, diced avocado, sour cream, chopped fresh cilantro, and/or crushed tortilla chips.

Back