Why you want recipes that give weights…and then use them.

marilynfl

I’ve been in PA for 5 weeks and deliberately left behind all my cooking equipment in NC. Mom likes bananas and so we end up with lots and lots of over-ripe bananas destined for banana bread. I’ve been measuring stuff by cups (rather than weighing out the ingredients) and have produced THREE lousy dry banana breads. So dry that I turned the first one into a trifle and tossed the next two.

Today I picked up a cheapo electronic scale and weighed two bananas. Then I found a banana bread recipe with weights. Sally’s Baking Addiction calls for 4 bananas that weigh 460 grams. So two bananas should weight 230 grams. On the other hand, my two bananas weighted…170 grams. That’s 60 grams less, meaning less moisture, less flavor.

So ya that’s a problem right there. I figured out the percentage difference 170/230 = 74%. That means I could follow her recipe but use 3/4 of each ingredient (or reduce each ingredient by 1/4–works either way). Next I weighed out the flour rather than scooped and knew immediately that the batter was creamier and not as dry. Finished bread is MUCH better than the previous three failures.

Ergo, be the good example and use a scale & weights, rather than the horrible mistake.

Last edited:
one of the reasons I like British recipes. Weights make so much sense in terms of accuracy, but also just so much easier and faster.

And speaking of banana breads, I just made the first one I have ever had that I liked. So banana y. They are all so dry. I am going to do one more with some changes, shortly. I want to get it perfect. I tend to pull muffins and quick breads out of the oven before the recommended times as I find them too dry otherwise. And a moist product negates the need for butter.

I really started using weight when I started making sourdough bread, but for some things that don’t give weights I always stir the flour with a whisk, then scoop into measuring cups and gently level.

I've never tried a banana bread recipe I like more than my mom’s. By far. Simply because it’s super moist. I like it with a smear of cream cheese. I’ve also reused those foiled gift type pans since mom started using them, probably around 1970!

Mom’s banana bread
Servings: Makes 5 small pans (the foil gift type - this is what I make) or 3 medium small or 1 big loaf size
Ingredients
    • 1/2 C butter (1 stick)
    • 1 C sugar
    • 2 eggs
    • 1/2 t salt
    • 3 ripe bananas
    • 2 C flour
    • 1 t baking soda
    • 1/2 C chopped nuts (optional, mom used walnuts)
Steps
    • Pre-heat oven to 350F
    • Cream butter and sugar by hand; add eggs and beat till mixed well.
    • Add cut up banana's and mix good. Add flour mixed with salt and soda and beat with a spoon by hand. Add nuts.
    • Spray pans with Pam. Makes 5 small pans (the foil gift type - this is what I make) or 3 medium small or 1 big loaf size.
    • Mom doesn't say how long to bake them, I guess because of the sizes, but I'd check at 20 minutes and work from there. You just barely want a toothpick to come out clean. They will also puff up some.

How do you deal with the difference in banana size? Also, Steve in LA (miss you, buddy!) added a banana liqueur to his. I looked and could only find an el cheapo banana liqueur that a teen who just passed legal drinking age might buy. So...I didn't buy it. But I use banana extract and that adds a lot.

I love Ina's recipe for banana crunch muffins, makes a lot--they're super moist and delicious. Just a different option for those ripe bananas. ;)
Agree on weights, I've been using weights more often these days, especially for breads and baked goods.

How do you deal with the difference in banana size? Also, Steve in LA (miss you, buddy!) added a banana liqueur to his. I looked and could only find an el cheapo banana liqueur that a teen who just passed legal drinking age might buy. So...I didn't buy it. But I use banana extract and that adds a lot.
I don’t adjust for banana size. Maybe if I had unusually small ones I’d add one, but they’ve always worked out. This makes a moist dense bread, not cakey, which is what I’m not fond of in other recipes. I tend to keep an eye on bake time and check it a couple of times with a toothpick. Usually they puff and often crack on top, but as soon as toothpick is clean it comes out.

The recipe I just made asked for 4 large bananas to equal 2 cups. Same amount of flour and butter as in Maria's recipe. I added more banana and of course had a denser and moister bread. But it was as I said, the best I've ever had. I prefer moist over less flavour, and certainly too moist over any degree of dry. I froze 4 bananas (something we did in the Caribbean as they ripened before they got home from the store) and will work on it again, perhaps using a bit of baking powder as well as soda. If it doesn't get better, this one will still be 'the one'. I thought of using an extract but for now, I want to use just the fruit.

Marie Brizard makes a good banana liqueur.

Back