With all the peach postings you must have favorite peach recipes. Please post.

Double crust peach pie (see photo next post)

Last edited by a moderator:
Colonial Peach Cake

Colonial Peach Cake
Servings: 6 (Scaled)

Ingredients:

1 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoons sugar
7 tablespoons butter, divided
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/6 cup water, cold
1 pounds peaches, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup sugar, plus 2 tbsp.
1 tablespoons whipping cream

Directions:

Sift first 4 ingredients together. Cut in 11 tbsp. butter. Add 2 egg yolks and water. Mix well. and pat dough with fingers into 15 x 10 in. jelly roll pan.

Sprinkle with bread crumbs and dot with remaining butter.

Place sliced peaches on top of bread crumbs. Sprinkle with 1 cup of sugar. Beat 2 egg yolks, remaining 2 tbsp. of sugar and whipping cream together and pour over peaches.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. When cool, cut into two-inch squares for serving.

Note: Recipe can be halved and baked in a 9 in. square pan.

Source: Great Recipes from New York Times

Sent from Paprika Recipe Manager. http://www.paprikaapp.com

Glazed Peach Pie or Tarts

Glazed Peach Pie or Tarts
Servings: 6

Ingredients:

4 cups peaches
1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon butter
1 baked pie shell
Variation:
4 sheets phyllo dough

Directions:

Crush enough peaches to make one cup, leaving remaining peaches to slice. Combine crushed peaches with water, sugar, and cornstarch. Cook until clear (2 to 3 minutes) stirring occasionally. Add butter, cool slightly. Line baked pie shell with sliced peaches. Pour glaze mixture over peaches. Chill at least 2 hours.

Variation: For tarts, cut 4 to 5 inch squares of phylo dough. Stack 4 layers of phyllo squares, buttering each layer lilghtly. Form to fit in muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Cool and fill with sliced peaches and glaze.

NOTE; Use ceramic muffin cups to make a larger size phyllo cup- Spray outside of cups and place upside down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Cut 9 x 13 in. phyllo layers into 6 equal pieces. Lay phyllo over the bottom of each to form a cup. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes. Remove phyllo from containers and cool completely on a wire rack.

Variation: Blueberry filling:
3 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
pinch salt
2 Tbsp. lemon juice

put half the blueberries into a medium saucepan. In a small bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add to the berries along with the lemon juice and bring to a simmer; cook for a few minutes, until the berries burst and soften and the juices thicken. Once it comes to a boil, make sure it cooks for a full minute to maximize thickening potential and make sure it's not starchy.)

Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining blueberries. Let cool, then spoon into the tart shells, piling them high

Notes: Excellent, especially the phyllo tarts.

Mrs. Ruth's Peach Cakes

Mrs. Ruth's Peach Cake
Servings: 3 cakes

Ingredients:

1 envelope yeast
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
6 peaches, sliced
Glaze:
1 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
skins and stones from 6 peaches

Directions:

Mix all ingredients except peaches together to make a soft dough. Let rise until doubled. Separate dough into 3 parts in pat with fingertips into in 3 greased 9 in. round cake pans. Let rise one hour.

Place sliced fruit on top of cakes. Bake at 400 degrees on higher shelf of oven for 20 min. until lightly browned.

Prepare the following glaze while cakes are baking:

Glaze: 1 cups water
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp. cornstarch
skins and stones from 6 peaches.

Put all glaze ingredients into a saucepan and boil until thickened (about 15 minutes). Pour through a sieve to strain out pits and skins.
Brush glaze generously over tops of cakes when they are removed from the oven. (If desired, you can use peach jam to glaze cakes. Just melt the jam in a small saucepan for easier spreading.)

Note: Strawberries (1-2pint) can be substituted for the peaches.(about 15 strawberries for each cake) Glaze with strawberry jam (3/4jar) that has been melted.
Also try blueberries (2 cups). For glaze, 1 1/2 c. blueberries, 1/2 c. water, 1/2c. sugar, 1tbsp. cornstarch

Sent from Paprika Recipe Manager. http://www.paprikaapp.com

Golden Peach Pie REC

GOLDEN PEACH PIE RECIPE from Taste of Home.

Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches) (I made and rolled pastry for a double-crust 9-inch DEEP-DISH pie.)

5 cups sliced peeled fresh peaches (5 medium peaches or so)---I used 1-1/2 quarts of sliced peaches for each pie which weighed in at about 2 pounds of peeled, sliced & pitted fresh peaches.

2 teaspoons lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest (I used 3/4 tsp.)

1/8 teaspoon almond extract

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup cornstarch (instead of cornstarch I used 2 Tablespoons of minute tapioca which I ground to a fine powder before measuring.)

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

1/8 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons butter (I used 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter.)

Whole milk or half-and-half

Directions
1) Line a 9-in. pie plate (deep-dish pie plate per wigs) with bottom pastry; trim, leaving a 1-in. overhang around edge. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine the peaches, lemon juice, orange peel and extract. Combine the sugar, cornstarch (tapioca in my case), nutmeg and salt. Add to peach mixture; toss gently to coat. (Note from wigs: let filling sit long enough so that the tapioca is well moistened.) Pour into crust; dot with butter.

2) Roll out remaining pastry to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into strips of various widths. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to bottom pastry; fold overhang over. Lightly press or flute edge. Brush with milk. Cover the edges loosely with foil.
(I rolled out the remaining pastry a little bigger than the top of the pie and made decorative marks in this top pastry. I brushed the bottom pie edge with cold water, and then placed the top crust over the filling. Trimmed, sealed and fluted edges and made a couple slashes in the top crust. Then I brushed the top pastry with milk or half-and-half before baking)

3) Bake at 400 degrees F for 40 minutes. Remove foil; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
(With freshly peeled peaches, I bake the pie at 400 degrees F. for 15 to 20 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 45 minutes to an hour or until my pie is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.)

Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. (Note from wigs: I never store fruit pies in the refrigerator.)
Yield: 8 servings. (I cut each pie into 12 slices and served each portion with a scoop of vanilla ice cream which was sprinkled with some toasted sliced almonds and a mint leaf.)

NOTE: I peeled, pitted, sliced, sprinkled with Fruit Fresh, measured, bagged, weighed and froze my peaches. It takes about 2 hours for a 2-pound Ziplock bag of sliced peaches to thaw enough to break apart with a spoon so I could mix with the other filling ingredients. I then baked at 400 degrees for 20 minutes and reduced the oven temp to 350 degrees to finish baking for an additional 60 to 70 minutes. Needed a bit longer baking time since I was starting out with slightly frozen peaches when the pies went into the oven.

Keep 'em coming. Here is one from me Peach and Praline Pie

PEACH AND PRALINE PIE

10” unbaked pie crust
1 tsp flour
½ c light corn syrup
3 eggs
¼ c sugar
3 T flour
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp nutmeg
3 c peeled, cubed peaches
½ c butter, melted
½ c coarsely chopped pecans
¼ c flour
¼ c brown sugar
2 T butter, softened

Sprinkle 1 tsp flour over unbaked pastry shell. Set aside. Combine syrup, eggs, ¼ c sugar, 3 T flour, salt and nutmeg in a bowl. Beat at medium speed 1 min. Stir in peaches and ½ c melted butter. Pour peach mixture into pie shell. Combine pecans, ¼ c flour and ¼ c brown sugar in a bowl. Cut in 2 T butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle over peach mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 min or until pie is set. Let cool completely.

Peach crostata from Ron In Worcester

Rec: Peach Crostata
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 11:14:34 GMT

Rec: Peach Crostata
Hi Michelle,

Here's one that I found on the Food Maven's (www.foodmaven.com) website. I think I posted it here before, but I can't get the epi search function to work, so I'm copying it from my files. I'll be making it again soon--thanks for reminding me!

PEACH CROSTATA

I always think of this as "beach crostata" because one August on Fire Island my housemates became addicted to it and I was forced to make it ... all ... the ... time. I mean a couple every day. It was exhausting, and pretty boring. It says a lot for the pastry that I still look forward to making it every peach season.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
8 Tbsp. (1 stick) butter
5-6 medium peaches (preferably freestone),
peeled and halved
1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar
ground cinnamon (optional)
1 cup heavy cream, sour cream or yogurt
2 eggs

Preheat the oven to 400º F. In a mixing bowl stir together the flour, the 1/4-cup of sugar, and salt. Cut in the butter, using the tips of your fingers, until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Press the mixture evenly into the bottom and up the sides of a deep 9- or 10-inch pie plate. Make the top edge neat by pressing the side up with the side of your left index finger into the side of your right index finger (or vice versa).

Arrange the peaches over the crust and sprinkle with the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon, too, if desired. Bake for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, with a fork or whisk, beat together the cream and eggs until well blended. After 15 minutes, remove the crostata from oven, pour over the egg and cream mixture, then return to the oven for another 30 minutes.

Serve warm (not hot) or at room temperature. (The crostata is at its best if never refrigerated.)
Variation: Nectarines are a natural substitute for peaches.

Advance Preparation: May be baked several hours ahead. Can be kept at room temperature for up to 24 hours.

Serves 6

I love this salsa.. REC: Grilled Chicken With Peach & Apple Salsa

Grilled Chicken With Peach & Apple Salsa
A great way to use those peaches. I’ve made
this many times for diverse crowds and it’s
always a hit. Wonderful color on the plate
too so it looks as good as it tastes.

GRILLED CHICKEN WITH PEACH AND APPLE SALSA
A fresh summery dish that packs a lot of
flavor. Note: you don’t want to make the
salsa much earlier than the 4 hours as fruit
has a tendency to breakdown.

Chicken
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons dry white wine
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon white wine Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
4 boneless chicken breast halves

Salsa
2 large ripe but firm peaches
1 small Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored,
chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 1/2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

For chicken:
Mix first 5 ingredients in large bowl. Add
chicken and turn to coat. Cover
and refrigerate at least 1 hour. (Can be
prepared 4 hours ahead. Keep
refrigerated.)

For salsa:
Bring medium saucepan of water to boil over
high heat. Add peaches; cook 30
seconds. Using slotted spoon, transfer
peaches to bowl of cold water. Drain
peaches. Peel and chop coarsely. Place
peaches in large bowl. Mix in all
remaining ingredients. (Can be made 4 hours
ahead. Cover and chill.)

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Remove
chicken from marinade. Grill
chicken until just cooked through, about 5
minutes per side. Transfer
chicken to plates. Serve with salsa.

Note: I have made this on the indoor grill/
grill pan and it is still very good. The
salsa really pops with flavor.

Aleta's Spicy Peach Preserves

5 cups peaches, washed and pit removed (about 7 peaches)

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

9 cups sugar

1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp. ground cloves

1/4 tsp. ground ginger

1 packet liquid pectin

Do not peel peaches. Finely chop in food processor, using pulsating so you don't over-process. Combine all ingredients except pectin in a large heavy pot. Cook, stirring occasionally until it begins to boil. Stirring constantly, boil hard a few minutes. Remove from heat and add pectin package all at once. Stir and skim off foam. Stir 5 minutes. Pour into 12 small jars. Carefully clean off lip of jars with hot wet towel to ensure good seal. Apply seals and rings, but not tightly. Cook in water bath for at least 10 minutes. Cool on a baking rack, then tighten rings. Press the center of the lid, there shouldn't be any bounce back if sealed properly. If seal didn't work on some, refrigerate and eat these first, or place contents in clean jars and put through water bath again. These keep in pantry for over a year. Doubles nicely.

Homemade Peach Custard Ice Cream

3 large eggs

2 tbsp all-purpose flour

1-1/2 cups sugar

2 cups milk

2 cups coarsely chopped peeled peaches

2 tbsp lemon juice

1-1/2 cups whipping cream

1 tsp vanilla

In a large bowl, beat eggs to blend. In a 3 to 4 quart pan, whisk flour, 1 cup of the sugar, and milk until smooth. Stir often over medium-high heat until boiling, about 8 minutes. Whisking rapidly, pour hot sauce into eggs.

In a blender, smoothly puree peaches with lemon juice and remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Stir into cooked mixture and chill, covered, until cold, 1-1/2 to 2 hours or up to a day. Stir in cream and vanilla.

Freeze peach mixture in a regular or self-refrigerated ice cream maker (at least 1-1/2 qt. capacity) according to manufacturer’s directions. Serve when softly frozen, or package airtight and store in freezer up to 2 weeks; let soften at room temperature about 10 minutes before scooping. Makes 1-1/2 quarts.

Source: Jeanne Bowers, Fresno, CA - Sunset magazine

Magazine notes: Adding hot milk to eggs will destroy any salmonella

Per 1/2 cup: 246 calories; 3.9 g protein; 12 g fat, 32 g carbs; 47 mg sodium.

Peach-Berry Cobbler--a Tried & True recipe

Peach-Berry Cobbler
(Recipe was from Jean Wiseman back in 1962 or thereabouts, & I have no idea where she came by it.)

Bake at 375 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes.

Combine in saucepan:
1/4 cup sugar,
1/4 cup brown sugar and
1 Tablespoon cornstarch. Add 1/2 cup water. (I use 1/4 cup water.) Blend well.

Cook above over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick, and then

Add: 1 Tablespoon lemon juice,
2 cups freshly sliced peaches (I use 3 cups which is about 1 pound peeled, pitted & sliced peaches), and
1 cup fresh blueberries.

Pour fruit mixture into an 8x8" square casserole.

Cobbler Topping==>

Sift together into mixing bowl:
1 cup sifted flour
1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup sugar (I use slightly less, i.e, 1/3 cup.)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Add 1/2 cup whole milk and 1/4 cup soft butter and beat until smooth.

Spoon cobbler topping over fruit. Sprinkle topping with a mixture of:
2 Tablespoons sugar (I use 1 Tablespoon) and
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

Bake at 375 degrees F. for 40 to 45 minutes or until topping is done.

Recipe may be doubled for baking in a 9x13" pan.

Marilyn's note: somehow deb-in-MI combined these next two recipes into one pie

My Oh My! Peach Pie!

4 Cups Fresh Peaches -- Peeled
3/4 Cup Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Cup Water
2 Tablespoons Corn Starch
1 Teaspoon Butter -- (Don't Substitute)
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
9 Inch Baked Pastry Shell

Egg Wash

1 Egg White
1/8 Cup Sugar
2 Tablespoons Water

PIE CRUST
Use a Pillsbury "unfolded" type shell, you only need half the package. Let it sit till it's at room temp. Then, fit it to your pie pan, and pinch the crust around the edges of the pie pan. Then, take your fork and prick it all over, sides and bottom. Go ahead and bake it for the 10 or 12 minutes till it starts to get a little brown. Take it out of the oven and now brush it all with a pastry brush with the Eggwash ( egg white/sugar and water whipped up a bit), and put it back in the oven to set, and then do it again. This makes the crust VERY crisp/tender and the sugar/egg wash makes the crust golden, glossy and sweet.

Let the crust rest, and get cool. It doesn't take long, so you go on ahead and fix the filling at this point.

PEACH FILLING
Combine sugar, salt, water, and cornstarch in a medium sized sauce pan, mix it up well, then stir in 2 cups of the peeled peaches and cook over medium heat until bubbling and the peaches start to soften. Stir to prevent the stuff from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Remove it from the stove and stir in the butter and lemon juice. Then let it all sit and cool a bit.

Now, take the other 1/2 of the FRESH peaches and scatter 'em in the fresh baked pie shell, smooth 'em out nice
and even. Then, take the cooked peach stuff and pour it over the fresh peaches in the pie shell. Smooth it all over and then set it in the fridge for at least two hours, but it's better to leave it for four hours.

MY OH MY! BLUEBERRY PIE!

4 Cups Whole Fresh (ONLY FRESH) BLueberries -- About 2 pints
3/4 Cups Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Cup Water
2 Tablespoons Corn Starch
1 Teaspoon Butter -- DONT SUBSTITUTE
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
9 Inch Baked Pastry Shell

Egg wash

1 Egg White -- Whipped up a bit with
1/8 Cup Sugar
2 Tablespoons Water

PIECRUST
Use a Pillsbury "unfolded" type shell, you only need half the package. Let it sit till it's at room temp. Then, fit it to your pie pan, and pinch the curst around the edges of the pie pan. Then, take your fork and prick it all over, sides and bottom. Bake it for the 10 or 12 minutes till it starts to get a little brown. Take it out of the oven and now brush it all with a pastry brush with the egg white/sugar/water mixture, and put it back in the oven to set, and then do it again. This makes the crust VERY crisp/tender and the sugar/egg wash makes the crust golden, glossy and sweet.

Let the crust rest, and get cool. It doesn't take long, so you go on ahead and fix the filling at this point.

BLUEBERRY FILLING
Combine sugar, salt, water, and cornstarch in a medium sized saucepan, mix it up well, then stir in 1/2 of the blueberries and cook over medium heat until bubbling and the berries start to pop. Stir to prevent the stuff from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Remove it from the stove and stir in the butter and lemon juice. Then let it all sit and cool a bit.

Now, take the other 1/2 of the FRESH blueberries and scatter 'em in the fresh baked pie shell, smooth 'em out nice and even. Then, take the cooked blueberry stuff and pour it over the fresh berries in the pie shell. Smooth it all over and then set it in the fridge for at least two hours, but it's better to leave it for four hours.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : this blueberry filling is SO simple! But, you will agree that it's one of the most delicious idea's you've tasted in a long time.

The crust holds together like nothing you ever sliced, and the blueberries and such stay right in place. You gotta put a scoop of 'nilla ice cream on this dish.

Mrs. Neil's Peach Pie suggested by GayR to Michael in Phoenix at thread 11552.

Notes from wigs: Taste of this pie was spectacular!
Recipe calls for 2 Tbsp flour to put into the peaches; I put in 3 Tbsp. flour, but my pie still came out very soupy so I will try at least 4 Tbsp the next time I make this. Undoubtedly, the amount of flour depends on the type and ripeness of the peaches.

Mrs. Neil's Peach Pie
August 22, 2007

Makes one 9-inch pie

One of Ken Nicewicz's favorite customers at the farm was a woman he simply called Mrs. Neil. "I liked her so much that I always gave her extra peaches," he says. "She was so grateful that when she was baking, she always baked an extra pie or two to send up to the farm, still warm. Needless to say, they didn't last long here." The late Mrs. Neil's pie had an all-butter crust, a filling of sliced peaches with sour cream and eggs, and a cinnamon-scented streusel topping. To remove the skins from the peaches, cut a small X on the bottom of the peach, then slip the peach into boiling water for 20 seconds. Lift it out and transfer to a bowl of ice water. The skin should peel away easily with your fingertips.

CRUST
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut up

1. Have on hand a deep 9-inch pie pan.

2. In a large bowl, sift the flour and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two blunt knives until the mixture resembles large crumbs.

3. Press the dough into the pie pan and chill in the refrigerator.

TOPPING
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter, cut up
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, flour, butter, and cinnamon.

2. Work the mixture with a pastry blender or a fork until the mixture is crumbly.

FILLING
5 large peaches, peeled and sliced (to make 4 cups)
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream

1. Set the oven at 400 degrees.

2. Place the peaches in a bowl. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the sugar; set aside.

3. In another large bowl, whisk the remaining 3/4 cup sugar, flour, egg, salt, and vanilla. Stir in the sour cream. Gently fold in the peaches.

4. Pour the peach mixture into the unbaked pie and transfer to the oven. Bake the pie for 15 minutes.

5. Turn the oven temperature down to 350 degrees and continue baking for 20 minutes.

6. Scatter the cinnamon topping on the pie. Turn the oven temperature up to 400 degrees again. Bake for 10 minutes (total baking time is 45 minutes). Let the pie cool until it's barely warm. Adapted from "Farm Wife News" Notes: © Copyright 2007 Globe Newspaper Company.

© Copyright 2007 Globe Newspaper Company.

with all the peaches coming forth from our old tree, I finally came up with this salsa.

It took a lot of tweaking and now that I no longer have any fruit trees, this works. At least now I have lots of fresh fish for it so I just freeze it.

Peach Salsa (as I like it)

3 ripe, firm peaches, unpeeled, 1/4" dice
1/4 c. red onion, finely diced
2 T chipotle chiles in adobo, minced
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 t freshly ground black pepper

I have two peach trees...

I never get a peach from either one.

When the peaches are the size of little hard green walnuts, the squirrels descend and pick every one before they even have a chance to get ripe.

How do you keep the squirrels out of the trees?

Back