WM orange ruined my cookies :(

mariadnoca

I just made dough for orange chocolate cookies. It smelled off and not very good taste. It was a new recipe for me, so thought, ok, not a winner. I just took a sip of the leftover juice I squeezed for It and ITS SOUR! Like almost a lemon sour, but also bitter. šŸ˜¬

Looks like Iā€™m going to have to toss it and start over. šŸ˜­

oh bugger! Still, bake at least one to test. The baked chocolate may cover the bitterness.

Once upon a time, I ruined $120 worth of booze (2 bottles of 151 proof alcohol to make 80-day limoncello) by ignoring the slight whiff of mold coming off the (bought locally at an orchard) lemon peels. The peels looked fine and me, in my stupidity, I thought 151 proof alcohol would kill off the scent.

Well, it may have killed something, but the odor lingered after the first 40 days. And I STILL went ahead at the 40 day mark and added ALL THAT SUGAR and let it sit for another 40 days.

Sadly the slight whiff of mold was STILL THERE in what was now a half of gallon of limoncello.
It all got dumped down the drain.

Ok, Iā€™ll bake one, but I doubt anything can save it. But I bought Cara caras from two different places and 1 more batch of navels today. I will not zest directly into the mixing bowl this time!

Oh and I found persimmons to try and make this. Iā€™ve wanted to for a long time, but last time they rotted before getting to a ā€œwater balloonā€ stage. These were quite soft so will try again.

Well, Iā€™m glad I bought several oranges today. The ones at the produce store labeled Cara Cara turned out to be blood orange and the navels and Cara Caras from the other store turned out to be all navels. All smelled and tasted better than the previous. I ended up using zest and juice from both because I couldnā€™t decide after I tasted zest and it burned out my tasted buds, but the blood orange was definitely sweeter. Film at 11!

Btw, these are the ones Iā€™m trying. I got orange chocolate to top them.

I bought Cara Cara on the recommendation of a friend...she said they were the the best oranges ever! They cost $7 for 5 small oranges and were the most bitter oranges I've ever tasted. Ever. I'm still not sure if that is how they should taste or if my friend had the right flavor and I got terrible ones. But I'm not trying them again.

No, Cara Cara are normally sweeter. I opt for them over navel if they have them. Maybe this was a bad year for oranges?

Btw, I made the second batch. I havenā€™t topped with the chocolate yet, but they are good. Not as strong an orange flavor as I thought, but good. Iā€™m topping with orange chocolate and flake salt, so think that will take them up a notch.

Bottled orange oil is my favorite additive. Not extract, not emulsion, but a high quality pure oil. It's wonderful in homemade applesauce and cakes, cookies, etc. Another trick is to zest the orange peel right into the sugar and massage to distribute the essential oils.

Happy to hear the latest batch was a success.

Last edited:
oh bugger! Still, bake at least one to test. The baked chocolate may cover the bitterness.

Once upon a time, I ruined $120 worth of booze (2 bottles of 151 proof alcohol to make 80-day limoncello) by ignoring the slight whiff of mold coming off the (bought locally at an orchard) lemon peels. The peels looked fine and me, in my stupidity, I thought 151 proof alcohol would kill off the scent.

Well, it may have killed something, but the odor lingered after the first 40 days. And I STILL went ahead at the 40 day mark and added ALL THAT SUGAR and let it sit for another 40 days.

Sadly the slight whiff of mold was STILL THERE in what was now a half of gallon of limoncello.
It all got dumped down the drain.
Hey Barbara, long time no see! Wonderful to see you here. As for you Marilyn, always a pleasure!!!

Back