You know what the best thing about Thanksgiving dinner is...

marilynfl

...Thanksgiving left-over dinners, ready in 2.5 minutes.

Here's mine
  • white turkey breast, made by God and baked by Ingles grocery store
I made everything else (clockwise)
  • turkey gravy made with turkey drippings and Kinder dry mix
  • Yukon gold mashed potatoes with caramelized onion
  • LeSeur baby peas with shallots and mushrooms
  • Garnet yams with my caramel sauce
  • Applesauce made with local apples and candied orange segments
  • Stuffing made with La Brea 3-cheese bread
  • Red wine cranberry sauce with Luxardo maraschino cherries
T-day dessert with apple tart with whipped cream, but there was none left over for left-overs.

t-day dinner.jpg apple tart.jpg

Last edited:
My list is different but the "same". I have never understood all the leftover recipes--I just want to eat the dinner again and again on the next days!! LOL

That looks wonderful!

My Father-in-law taught me how to make something other than turkey soup with the leftovers. He deboned the turkey, tore the meat into bite-sized pieces and set the meat aside. Then he simmered the bones and non-edible parts until a nice turkey broth was rendered. Strained the broth and brought it to a simmer before adding large-diced celery, medium-to-small diced fresh ginger, and any leftover turkey gravy. Once that had simmered long enough to become nicely flavored, he would add any leftover white rice from our dinner. (Filipino households ALWAYS have cooked rice on hand!). For a gallon of broth he would add approximately three cups of cooked rice, give or take.

The rice and broth would simmer until the rice "flowered" and broke down into a creamy, thick porridge. He would add more chicken broth (or water) as needed, in order to maintain a semi-soupy consistency that leaned more to the porridge consistency mentioned earlier. Then he'd add the turkey meat, a bit of soy sauce and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.

BAM. Some of the best Filipino congee known to mankind!

I make split pea soup out of the ham bone, if we have one. Mashed potato "pancakes" with gobs of diced green chiles and Monterrey jack cheese, should we have mashed potato leftovers.

Good stuff!

I also broke the pattern last weekend by making Joe Corso's Spinach Béchamel Lasagna. It was received quite well!

IMG_0107 (1).JPG

Back