Yum yum! Just had Sandra in London's Chile Verde for dinner tonite!

sandi-in-hawaii

Well, I changed it a little, and made it with boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of pork, but it was yummy just the same!

Simmered for a little less than an hour, instead of 1 1/2 to 2 hours, and used a can of diced green chiles instead of the Anaheim chiles.

Served it with Spanish rice, and steamed broccoli. Sooooo good!

#11: Chile Verde posted by Sandra in London

Posted by: Carianna in WA at 10:12 am on Dec 27, 2005

Chile Verde

Recipe By : Sandra in London

Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Pork Soups And Stews

serves 6

2 tablespoons lard

3 pounds lean, fresh boneless pork butt, cut

into 1 1/2" cubes

2 medium white onions, thinly sliced lengthwise

3 cloves garlic, pressed

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon ground cumin

3/4 teaspoons ground oregano

8 small tomatillos, husked and finely chopped

or 1 cup canned

4 fresh Anaheim chiles, seeded, deveined and

finely chopped

1 large tomato, peeled and coarsely chopped

1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves

3/4 cup chicken stock

2 teaspoons lime juice

Heat the lard in a 6 quart dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Add about 1/3 of the

pork in a single layer. Cook, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes, remove to a plate. Repeat until all the pork has been browned.

Remove and discard all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings from the pan. Add onions and garlic and saute over medium heat until soft, about 4 minutes. Stir in salt, cumin and oregano.

Add the tomatillos, chiles, tomato and cilantro leaves to the pan and stir in the stock. Heat over high heat and bring to boiling.

Return the pork to the pan and reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, until pork is tender 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Uncover pan, increase heat to medium. Cook at a low boil, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened, 20-30 minutes longer. Stir in lime juice.

To serve, spoon pork over rice and sprinkle with sliced almonds, cilantro leaves, radishes and lime slices.

http://www.finerkitchens.com/swap/forum/index.php?action=display&forumid=15&msgid=11

This has become part of our Christmas Eve dinner standard. It freezes well, so...

...I can make it before we travel, freeze it in a FoodSaver bag, and take it with us. It is one of those wonderful recipes that only gets BETTER a day or two down the road.

It is also fabulous slathered over an omelet with pepper jack cheese inside.

One of my favorite recipes, for sure.

Michael

Thank you Sandra, I've been waiting for this and a good tamale recipe, ...

We are having this for dinner tomorrow, can't wait, making Chile Verde Burritos, I'm trying it with the chicken...Thanks so much!

Sandi, the chicken sounds really good!

I'm glad you liked it, it's such a good sauce, it's even good alone - if there is no meat leftover I use it to dip tortillas in...

It is sooo goood! I like Michael's suggestion of pouring it over an omelette, too!

Gotta try your machaca next smileys/smile.gif

Thanks for a GREAT recipe!

Back