Zuri & Joanie - any ideas for South African food to go with....

music-city-missy

Bobotie? My friend's girlfriend is helping him host his first 'dinner party' and she's cookie Bobotie. I have no idea what would go with it or what sort of dessert to make. I know she has said she craves a Swiss Roll or something like that which sounds like a jelly roll but I realize I know nothing about South African foods. Any ideas and recipes would be welcome.

Hi MCM....yellow rice is often served...Rec:.....

I really like basmati so use that mostly but in SA they have "Tastic" Rice and it cooks right everytime. Uncle Ben's would suffice.
Anyway to make yellow rice make the rice you usually do but along with the salt add some tumeric (about a 1/4 of a tsp, not too much as it turns the rice bitter) and a small box of raisins, one big cinnamon stick and a good pinch of sugar.

Butternut squash sauteed in water and butter with salt and when soft add a tsp of cumin and a shake of dried chilli and more butter.

Anything green, beans go well.

You can of course just make white rice and boiled veg. I like the above veg.

Then a big condiment is "Mrs Ball's Chutney" but as it is difficult to find in the States any good fruity chutney or tomato chutney would go.

I'll try to post a good chutney recipe asap.

For dessert a Malva Pud or Tipsy Tart.

Malva Pud or Tipsy Tart? Never heard of them...

What are they?

The dinner was tonight and she served it with the yellow rice and raisins with sides of a tomato & onion 'relish' and sliced bananas. I didn't know what to do and knew the other couple going were going to pick up a cheesecake or so I thought - they picked up a chocolate cake and peach pie. So I wound up going to the store and picking up a couple of bottles of South African wines - a red and white - to go with the meal. But my friend and his lady friend did a trifle too so we had plenty of food.

I want to make his lady friend feel welcome and appreciated so I wouldn't mind trying one of the desserts if you have recipes.

Swiss Roll is Jelly Roll. It would go very well.....

make it with a nice sponge and spread strawberry "preserves" on, NOT jelly...the fruity bits are great in the preserves.
But, instead of using jelly or preserves I would use fresh strawberries cut small, spread that over the sponge that has been cooked in the jelly-roll pan, and then spread unsweetned whipped cream over the layer of strawberries.. In SA they don't generally add sugar to the cream when whipping as they do in the States.

This has given me an idea...I'm going to make one for tomorrow night's "braai" BBQ ( using fresh strawbs..)haven't made one in ages.

Oh, MCM, my Mum and I laughed.....

You know she is staying with me...we never even thought to write down the tom/onion sambal nor the sliced bananas...these we would have done automatically....just 'cause they usually are served. We always make the tom/onion with vinegar and chilli. The bananas we add lemon juice to....babotie is a kind of curry so these sambals are usually served with curries. AND a good SA chutney.
You didn't say if you like the babotie? I don't like raisins in babotie so put them in the rice (easier to remove, Lol))

Malva Pudding...this is from Zuri.....

Malva Pud Zuri’s

3/4 cup sugar

2 large eggs

1 tablespoon apricot jam (or preserves, chopped very finely)
5 ounces all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon butter (a generous tablespoon)

1 teaspoon vinegar

1/3 cup milk

For the sauce
3/4 cup fresh cream
3 1/2 ounces butter

5 ounces sugar

1/3 cup hot water

1 teaspoon vanilla essence

1. Preheat oven to 350 deg F/180 deg Celsius
2. Beat or whip the sugar and eggs, preferably in a food processor, until thick and lemon coloured, then add the jelly (jam) and mix through.
3. Sieve together the flour, soda and salt. Melt the butter (do not boil!) and add the vinegar.
4. Add this mixture as well as the milk, to the egg mixture in the processor, alternately with the flour. Beat well.
5. Pour into an oven-proof dish and bake for 45 - 50 minutes.
6. In a pot, melt together the ingredients for the sauce.
7. Pour it over the pudding as soon as it comes out of the oven,.

Yes, we liked it....

I think it is something I would like to try and seems simple enough. I think my daughter would get a real kick out of it - especially with the bananas on the side.

She must have your same tastes because she put the raisins in the rice.

I can't wait to try the Malva Pud - it really sounds interesting and good.

She evidently couldn't find Bird's Pouring Custard to make her trifle and used boxed pudding mix so when I told her that I can get it at several grocery stores on my side of town whe looked as if she had just found the biggest secret in town.

Custard powder is a special thing and we prefer Cross and Blackwell's.....

Bird's one is OK. BUT any custard powder when you can't get, it is just wonderful. Ask her if she likes Cross 'n Blackwell and I'll see if I can send you/her some. Don't know about sending food from here to the States as some things I sent through have been returned back here. Not a problem for anything to arrive here on island from the States.

We get a few C&B products but not many...

Now that I know they make one, I can request the stores to get it for me. I have just always used Birds because that is what my friend in England introduced me to and it's all I have seen here.

My big search now is for the chutney. It's REALLY hard to find anything but Major Grey chutney and even that is hard to find.

Found the Mrs. Ball's Chutneys....

www.southafricans.com - think I am going for the original, peach and tomato unless you recommend different.

Yaaaa! This was never exported before but the last few years have seen a big.....

change. The Original one came as is and a hot version. Go for the hot version. The peach one and the tomato ones are new additons since I've been cruising and when we suddenly had these bottles imported to the island I now live on I was very surprised to see them.
Trips home I just had the original. I LOVE the peach one and the Tomato one and there is one that is a chili one that is sublime with shrimp / seafood.
There is also a LITE one, but I'm not at all impressed with trying that out. You only use a little on the side (lol, I use about a TBL each time)....Anyway, whatever you decide to get will be a special addition to curries, 'specially the SA type (sweeter Malaysian type or the East Indian type) curries.

Back