A candidate for the worst-sounding recipe in history REC Crisco Sandwich Spread

CathyZ

Crisco was introduced in 1911. I have a Procter & Gamble cookbook called "199 Selected Recipes" by Sarah Field Splint with no date on it but I believe it to be from around the early 1930s. Here is a recipe from the "sandwich" section- a perfectly hideous-sounding spread. It made me cringe and I thought I might share it. The cookbook blurb says:

"Instead of spreading your bread with butter try the new Crisco Spread. It is a delicious spread for all kinds of sandwiches and much less expensive than butter! It has about the same consistancy as mayonnaise dressing and is very much like it in flavor. One great advantage of Crisco Spread is that it may be kept in the ice box in a glass jar indefinitely. It is always ready for the hungry school boy's afternoon sandwich or the unexpected caller for whom you want to make a cup of tea. Less filling is needed to make sandwiches savory and appetizing if plenty of Crisco Spread is used on the slices of bread. It also helps to keep them fresh and moist"

Here, without further fanfare, is the recipe:

Crisco Sandwich Spread

1 cup Crisco

1 egg yolk

1/4 tsp mustard

1/8 tsp paprika

1-1/2 tbsp vinegar

few grains cayenne

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce

2 tbsp lemon juice

Cream Crisco. Add egg yolk slowly and beat well. Mix mustard, paprika, cayenne, salt, worcestershire and lemon juice together and stir into the first mixture. Add vinegar, beating in a little at a time. Mix thoroughly.

Ewwww! This beats the cantalope pie for sure!

Oh mi gosh it's a lard sandwich (ok Criso, but same ewwww factor!)

Yuck!

EWW. EWW. EWW!!! That is SOOOO nasty!>>>>

Can you imagine plunking that concotion on a plate and putting it in front of a hungry teenager? This even beats the eel and onion sandwhices that a neighbor used to make when I was a kid. I kid you not!

(lol)! Get out of here--it's only a little worse than slopping a ton of Mayo on a sandwich! . . .

only alittle worse from the trans-fatty acids in the crisco... Calorie wise, fat is fat!

And if you have never had good refried beans made with good, non-commercial rendered pork fat, you ain't been living yet.

PLus if you have a craving for a meaty spread, that non-commercial rendered pork fat spread lightly on bread, with a little salt might be mighty fine. Didn't you know lard is a little less in cholesterol than butter?

LOL!!!

Geeze, my husband's ex-brother-in-law used to eat peanut butte, mayo and fried egg sandwiches. . .

Like gag me with a spoon, fer sure!

Weeeell, I can attempt to top that. How about eating Vaseline? (m)

It was a popular health tonic back around the turn of the 19th century. Here's an excerpt from a site that chronicles the history of Vaseline:
The best use of Vaseline® has to be by Mr. Chesebrough, himself. He believed that a person should eat a spoonful every day for good health.

He lived to ninety-six years of age and never missed that delicious spoonful every morning.

Too bad he ate the stuff - he probably would have lived until 106 years of age if he hadn't gulped that stuff down!

Check out the link if you want to learn more about this amazing food!

Michael

http://members.tripod.com/~earthdude1/vaseline/vaseline.html

Yeah, but mayo does not taste and feel like grease! am not overly fond>>

of mayo, but it sure beats solid grease on bread!
to quote my 4 year old nephew
" sounds a little crappy, Aunt Margie"

My dad grew up eating goose-grease sandwiches!

Just goose grease spread on white bread. Sometimes a bit of onion added. I recall my mom had to eat vaseline sandwiches as part of "hell night" for sorority rush back in the 30's.

My grandparents gave a big glop to their dog about once a week

and as a little girl I'd watch in fascination as Tina would lick, lick, and lick the stuff. Of course, eventually I had to try some to see what it was like. No further taste testings were necessary!

Debbie

My Mom was German. She made her own Schmaltz (sp?) and ate that on bread. She would've...

...used goose grease if she could've gotten it.

She heated pork lard and cooked it with bacon, apples and a couple of chopped onions. Then she strained it and let the flavored lard solidify.

A thick slab of that on some good, hearty German bread and she was as happy as could be.

Michael

A family friend ate bread with thick lard and gravy over all of it. He also

ate chocolate cake with lard and gravy on it. He only lived to 44....can't imagine why.

I just found out from my mom that her father>>>

used to eat lard, onion and limburger sandwiches.
Now I can understand why my grandma divorced him!
The fact that he was a mean, miserable person was probably secondary.

Back