A substitute for small amount of tomato juice in a recipe. Mix 3 parts cold water with 1 part tomato

Spoonbread

Deb, Thanks for the answer, but I am actually looking for a plain cornbread. This sounds delish. and I will probably give it a try later.
I want to make the bread from scratch with cornmeal.

REC: Buttermilk Cornbread

Here's my recipe. It's much moister if you make with real buttermilk instead of souring milk with vinegar. If you don't like a 'sweet' cornbread, cut the sugar in half or omit completely.

I bake this in a cast iron skillet that has been heated in the oven with butter, then a tbs of flour stirred in the hot melted butter just before pouring the batter in.

Buttermilk Cornbread

1 c cornmeal
1 c flour
1/4 c sugar
1 tbs baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1/4 cooking oil
1 - 1 1/2 c buttermilk

Mix dry ingredients in bowl then add egg, oil and buttermilk. Pour into pan and bake at 425 degrees 20 - 25 minutes or until lightly browned.

Do not overbake.

Moist Cornbread >>>>

Hi Misplaced,

Here's another recipe to check out. It's delicious - slightly sweet - I eat it as a snack. You can adjust the sugar to your taste.

MOIST CORNBREAD (Lowfat)

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 cup cornmeal
1 cup unsifted flour
6 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt (can use lowfat or whole milk yogurt also)
1/4 cup lowfat milk
1 egg, beaten
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 425F for a shiny pan and 400F for a dark pan.
Lightly grease an 8"x8" pan.

In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.

In another large bowl, mix the wet ingredients together.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix until just blended. DO NOT OVERMIX!

Pour batter into the prepared pan.

Bake in the middle of the oven for around 20 minutes, or until the center of the bread springs back when gently pressed. Serve hot.

Makes 12-16 servings.

For 16 servings: Approx. 1.7 gr (saturated) fat per serving
For 12 servings: Approx. 2.3 gr (saturated) fat per serving

Adapted from browntoestoo

Hope this works for you, Misplaced. I usually make a double batch. My DH will eat half

in a day. He's a cornbread freak! ha Have you ever heard of 'cornbread and milk'? It's a 'down home' type thing, I guess, and it sounds terrible to me, but he loves it! (you put a warmed piece of cb in a glass then pour cold milk over it and eat with a spoon!)

My DH is not a gourmet by any means but he will eat anything I put before him. ANYthing! Never complains! He's a great guy!

Let me know if the recipe works for you. I'm making your date bread tomorrow! smileys/smile.gif

Thanks again for sending me that!

(((hugs)))

deb-in-mi

REC: Corn Spoonbread

Corn Spoonbread

This is absolutely scrumptious - and oh so moist. Not sure why it is called spoonbread, tho, because it does cut like cornbread (but so much moister). Double the recipe for a 9 x 13 pan. Enjoy

1 (8.5 oz.) pkg. corn muffin mix
1 (8 oz.) can cream style corn (drain partially, but leave some liquid)
1 (8 oz.) container sour cream
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 (8 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained)

Stir together all ingredients and pour into a greased 11 x 7 inch baking dish. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until golden.

Back