...and the 2023 National Gingerbread House Contest winner is...

Pat Ashley Howard won Second Place...that woman is amazing...she has won seven awards at this competition since 2007.

1700874799834.png

Gingerclay recipe

Last edited:
Wow. What else does one say? The crafting is phenomenal, but sure doesn't look like Christmas. Is it supposed to? (I guess not) Did you do one?

I like the Christmas themed ones. The Indonesian house is interesting and probably unexpected, therefore different. Are either of those made with gingerbread?

I think it's all gingerbread.
Totally amazing. I think a busload from our retirement community went up to see it.

It's 100% edible but only 75% must be gingerbread (and that doesn't all have to be visible)

Here are the 2023 rules:
JUDGING
All entries will be judged on five criteria:1) Overall Appearance, 2) Originality and Creativity, 3) Difficulty, 4) Precision and 5) Consistency of Theme.There is no overall theme for the competition.

Although OGPI’s holiday competition is titled “The National Gingerbread HouseCompetition™, entries are not limited to the structure of a house. Competitors are welcome and encouraged to uniquely design their entry for the 2023 Competition. Theme should be competitor’s own and consistent throughout the entry. Decorative elements that are handmade will carry more weight than similar prefabricated items. All rulings by the judges are independent and final. They are in no way influenced by OGPI staff/affiliates or Competitors. In the event of a tie, the Competition Call Judge will be asked to break the tie.

SIZE LIMITATIONS
Entry must be placed on a board base. Entries combined with a base must not be larger than 24 inches high, 24 inches wide, and 24 inches long. ½” or ¾” plywood as a base for your entry is recommended. No element of the entry should extend beyond or hangover the edge of the base. Decorations must not cause the entry to exceed the required size limitations. Use of pegs/risers/feet on the bottom of the base is preferred but not required. If you wish to install pegs/risers/feet on the underside of your base, they are considered as part of the base and must not cause the entry’s overall height to exceed 24 inches. Weight is not to exceed 50 pounds.

MATERIALS AND CONSTRUCTION
Please read carefully. Everything above the base of your entry must be composed completely of edible materials. Competitors are permitted to use up to 40% mechanically produced components in their entry. Examples include: machine designed, 3D printed and laser cut components. 60% of each entry must be handcrafted. The main structure of your entry must be constructed of at least 75% gingerbread, some of which should be exposed. Edible materials are not limited to candies and icings. Use of gum paste, fondant, pastillage, chocolate, modeling chocolate, royal icing, isomalt, cast sugar, gelatin and pressed sugar is encouraged. Use of "Disco Dust", "Rainbow Dust" or “Hologram Powder” is permitted.

Marilyn's Note: A few years ago, someone made a carousel that actually rotated. I wondered HOW this was possible when everything--100%--must be edible. But now that I see this rule "40% mechanically produced components in their entry" I can visualize how a laser or dremel could cut hardened gingerbread (or some other baked product that gets very very hard) and build a manual rotator. I mean, Da Vinci did it before there was electricity so...

Wow. What else does one say? The crafting is phenomenal, but sure doesn't look like Christmas. Is it supposed to? (I guess not) Did you do one?
Marg, for the first time since 2007, I'm not making a GBH. Getting ready to spend a few months with mom, packing up and prepping my house here for the winter. This is when I would normally have made/anguished over/delivered a GBH to the library.

Last edited:
Back