Anyone have a proofing drawer? I have a cheap (but new) stove with an oven that has a dial control that is accurate to no less than 35 degrees.

Marg CDN

My last 2 savarins have ended up as crow food, although in the past, I've made many, successfully. Since it proofs (proves) for 2 hours, it is so difficult to control the warmth. I am about to try another one right now and am longing for a proofing addition to my dumpy little kitchen. I don't know anything about them and have had only one friend who had one in her kitchen but when I see all the contestants on the GB Baking show just slipping their products-to-be into a handy little drawer, I am so envious. I think at one point in my old and beautiful kitchens, I used the dishwasher, but even this dishwasher is too basic to have one.

Ahah....just had an idea............since it is going into the 90s today, the balcony, out of the sun, should do it. What a basic world I live in. And if it doesn't work, the crows will know where to find it.

I don’t have one, but have lusted after them as well!

Also, The Brod & Taylor proofing box. It folds flat has great reviews, but at $200, I never splurged. Pretty sure sallybr has one and liked it too. Since you only need a 2 hour proof, you might try the heat water/interior in microwave trick, then use it as a proof box. I’ve used my oven light, which only comes on if I stick a wooden spoon in the door. Since it’s a wall oven it can heat too much, so must keep an eye on it. For bread, sourdough, I’ve switch to an overnight proof in the refrigerator. I’ve also heard on top of the water heater is good too.

Oooh water heater. That could work.

Now where do I put all the junk that is on top of the water heater?

Good ideas. And that proofing box is just ANOTHER thing to add to my ever-extending wish list.

Come on lottery!!

So far, it is in the oven and cooperating. So far. Another hour to go.

Oooh water heater. That could work.

Now where do I put all the junk that is on top of the water heater?

Good ideas. And that proofing box is just ANOTHER thing to add to my ever-extending wish list.

Come on lottery!!

So far, it is in the oven and cooperating. So far. Another hour to go.
Let’s us know how it turned out!

Let’s us know how it turned out!
I should have just let it sit out on the counter. It semi-cooked again, but not badly. It was quite usable and my guests didn't know the difference. But I have made enough now that the challenge is gone. The crows are happy. I am moving on.

The collapsible oven is so brilliant. I love to see the results of people's innovation.

I never had problems proofing once I uncerstood that the "Proof" was until "doulbed". Longer if the kitchen is cold. Bread/yeast is a very forgiving medium, IMO

I learned the following proofing method years ago in a cooking class and have used it ever since. Turn your regular oven on preheat (at any temp) and switch the oven OFF after only 1 minute of preheating. Quickly insert your bowl of bread dough covered with Saran wrap or a towel or whatever you normally use, shut the door and turn the oven light on. This has always worked for me with none of the dough actually baking.

Other options: I have also set a bowl of bread dough on top of my refrigerator, and the heat coming up the back wall will warm it enough to proof. On occasion, I have set my bowl of bread dough near the dryer while it was running keeping my laundry room door shut to corral the warmth. HINT: Do NOT set your dough bowl on top of the dryer itself because the vibration could make it "walk" and fall off the edge of the dryer.

Same advice as wigs
"Turn your oven on to the lowest temperature it will go, usually 200 degrees. Once it reaches 110 degrees, turn the oven off. Place the dough in the oven and close the door. Opening the oven door will lower the heat a bit, and that's okay (you're aiming for 75 to 85 degrees)."

My oven will go as low as 170, but that's it. I've proofed successfully using this method. But first time was a fiasco (croissant dough). I think oven was too hot still, but I was already bored with the experiment.

My last 2 savarins have ended up as crow food, although in the past, I've made many, successfully. Since it proofs (proves) for 2 hours, it is so difficult to control the warmth. I am about to try another one right now and am longing for a proofing addition to my dumpy little kitchen. I don't know anything about them and have had only one friend who had one in her kitchen but when I see all the contestants on the GB Baking show just slipping their products-to-be into a handy little drawer, I am so envious. I think at one point in my old and beautiful kitchens, I used the dishwasher, but even this dishwasher is too basic to have one.
Do you think an Ice Chest would work? Preheat with some warm water, then place bowl of proofing dough in bottom, shut lid. If the bowl is too wide, you could see if it would fit if you laid the ice chest on its side.
Of course, no go if you don't have one! :)

All these things I left behind when I moved. These ideas sure do indicate that there are lots of possibilities.

I have a wall oven without a separate light switch, but I’ve tried using a wooden spoon in the door to keep the light on. However, the smaller wall oven got too hot. I've also tried warming water in the microwave and proofing. It didn’t stay hot enough, but thinking about that expensive proofing box, I might try a heating pad with a box over it. I wouldn’t put the item on the heating pad, but on a rack. That might work. Mostly I bake sourdough which proofs in the refrigerator, so that ended my proofing problem.

I don’t have one, but have lusted after them as well!

Also, The Brod & Taylor proofing box. It folds flat has great reviews, but at $200, I never splurged. Pretty sure sallybr has one and liked it too. Since you only need a 2 hour proof, you might try the heat water/interior in microwave trick, then use it as a proof box. I’ve used my oven light, which only comes on if I stick a wooden spoon in the door. Since it’s a wall oven it can heat too much, so must keep an eye on it. For bread, sourdough, I’ve switch to an overnight proof in the refrigerator. I’ve also heard on top of the water heater is good too.

I have the Brod and Taylor proofing box - LOVE IT! When I bought years ago it is was about $150 but I figured - Happy (pick an event to celebrate) ME!

Last year at a local rummage sale in the kitchen tent - there was a Brod and Taylor proofing box - new in box never used. $40. You bet I bought it.

At Easter between the 3 types of raisin breads, nut and poppyseed rolls, I could use a second proofer.

I can affirm that a heating pad placed on cutting board. Place the pan/bowl on the heating pad. Cover with one of the many "oh that's a good box can't throw that one away" from Amazon. And you have your own proofer. Stick a thermometer in the side to read the air temp inside.

(I may have done this last weekend when I was proofing pizza dough - the house is kept cool - and the deep rectangle pan wouldn't fit into the Brod&Taylor box.)

I have the Brod and Taylor proofing box - LOVE IT! When I bought years ago it is was about $150 but I figured - Happy (pick an event to celebrate) ME!

Last year at a local rummage sale in the kitchen tent - there was a Brod and Taylor proofing box - new in box never used. $40. You bet I bought it.

At Easter between the 3 types of raisin breads, nut and poppyseed rolls, I could use a second proofer.

I can affirm that a heating pad placed on cutting board. Place the pan/bowl on the heating pad. Cover with one of the many "oh that's a good box can't throw that one away" from Amazon. And you have your own proofer. Stick a thermometer in the side to read the air temp inside.

(I may have done this last weekend when I was proofing pizza dough - the house is kept cool - and the deep rectangle pan wouldn't fit into the Brod&Taylor box.)
Oh, this is great to know! I’m keeping the overall house much cooler as our bankrupt power company raised the rates 3x this year. My butter is as hard as if I kept it in the fridge!

Tess, at what temperature do you set the heating pad? Mine has 4 settings: warm, low, med, & high. I became One with it when I broke my back a few years ago and High is too too hot for my skin, so I'm thinking warm or low??? Glass or metal bowl?

Back