Anyone have a proofing drawer? I have a cheap (but new) stove with an oven that has a dial control that is accurate to no less than 35 degrees.

Tess, at what temperature do you set the heating pad? Mine has 4 settings: warm, low, med, & high. I became One with it when I broke my back a few years ago and High is too too hot for my skin, so I'm thinking warm or low??? Glass or metal bowl?
Depends.

Sometimes low - and just set the bowl on it.
If I use high - I have a cooling rack with little legs and put that over the pad and then the bowl on the rack so it's not touching. I was afraid it would get too hot.

Oh - and another time I added a cup of boiling water to help heat and steam it up.

Depends.

Sometimes low - and just set the bowl on it.
If I use high - I have a cooling rack with little legs and put that over the pad and then the bowl on the rack so it's not touching. I was afraid it would get too hot.

Oh - and another time I added a cup of boiling water to help heat and steam it up.
Thank you! I found fresh yeast during Christmas and have been saving it--well, to be truthful, I haven't wanted to hand-knead anything lately.

O have a Breville Smart Air countertop oven that I use for most everything and it has a great proofing function. It’s made a big difference.
That is so smart. I love Breville because of their attention to minute details and this is a good example. I have a coffee maker and a bread machine. ( I have a loaf of bread going at the moment). It would work for fougasse and focaccia but not for a loaf, right? The interior is too shallow? I went to their site and watched the video. Yes, so smart. It would make sense to invest in one just for the multiple capabilities.

Tess, at what temperature do you set the heating pad? Mine has 4 settings: warm, low, med, & high. I became One with it when I broke my back a few years ago and High is too too hot for my skin, so I'm thinking warm or low??? Glass or metal bowl?
I do medium, or sometimes start at high to warm it up and then reduce to medium. It's usually metal trays that I put in there.

As for the box, I had put it back in the basement with the other boxes and had to search for it. So now it has "PROOFING BOX" written on each side so I don't accidentally use or recycle.

In a pinch when I couldn't get to the basement because of snow (exterior entrance only) I used a big rubbermaid bin :)

And I've even now used the half sheet pan on the Brod & Taylor base set to 85degrees and put the cardboard box over. Bagels rose oh so nice!

Back