RECIPE: Creamy Keto Sausage Soup

RECIPE:

marilynfl

I found the recipe at this site:

I'm not following a Keto diet, but did want to try a recipe. To my mind, Keto is just a fancier way of saying Atkin's Diet from the 70s. It's protein plus fat--skip the carbs. Keto seems to allow the same lower calorie veggies as Atkins. I've always thought it worked because (and I'm going to seriously generalize here) most people are overweight (I'm counting myself) because of high calorie foods--the majority of which are processed carbs. No one ever gained weight eating a plate of carrots. But a person will gain weight eating french fried potatoes or potato chips (100 calories for plain potato versus 400 for the half the potato fried). Portion size is also to blame. No restaurant will pile on half a plate of carrots, but they will cover it with french fries.

So I think the Keto diet works because the overall calorie count is lower...even when fat is included. Because no one is going to eat a dinner plate full of butter, but a dinner plate full of shrimp sauteed in butter is both filling and satisfying.

Back to the recipe. I had a 1 lb package of Italian sausage to use up and found this recipe. However, I was still slightly horrified at the thought of adding 8 oz of cream cheese, so I used 8 oz of sausage, 1/3 of the cream cheese (lower calorie Neufchatel) and doubled most of the veggies (onions, zucchini, and spinach). I left the can of tomatoes as is, but drained them first, used 3 cups of broth and left off the parmesan.

I'm quite happy with results. The only part I disliked was my inability to get cooked ground meat to a crumbled state without having to use a food processor. No matter how much I stirred and crushed the cooking sausage, it still remained in 1" chunks.

1 tbsp butter
1/2 onion, chopped **
2 cloves garlic
4 cups chicken bone broth **
8 oz cream cheese **
1 lb Italian sausage, (mild or hot) **
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 zucchini (small), chopped **
2 cups chopped spinach **
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 bay leaf
parmesan cheese **
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (to taste)
  1. Melt the butter over medium-high heat and add the onion, garlic, and Italian sausage to cook for 4-5 minutes or until onion is soft and meat browned.
  2. Pour in three cups of the bone broth then add the zucchini, basil, oregano, bay leaf, cayenne pepper (if using), and diced tomatoes.
  3. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to simmer.
  4. Place the remaining cup of bone broth and cream cheese in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into the rest of the soup and stir.
  5. Mix in the chopped spinach and once wilted serve the soup or allow to simmer for another half hour or more for the flavors to combine.
  6. Serve topped with shredded parmesan cheese.
** Ingredients I adjusted

Last edited:
Sounds good! We are having lots of rain so soup sounds good. The was i cook ground meat to get it to crumble is using a meat fork. Like the fork that holds a roast when you carve it. I use the meat fork because that’s how mom did it. break it into chunk by stabbing, then just kinda smash and roll to get it to break up while in the pan cooking.

I use a danish whisk for the meat crumbling. I actually use it for so many things. It is maybe my favorite kitchen tool other than a good knife.

Because no one is going to eat a dinner plate full of butter, b--Don't ever say never. My son has been doing the keto diet for a number of years now--and he is a cyclist and stick thin! I agree with you about it just being low carb but the real followers actually eat butter--he adds it to his coffee! ICK!! Or really uses full fat whipping cream.
The recipe looks good and built to attract a keto person by the cream cheese--don't use neufchatel or a low fat one!! Cabbage soup is good--I have always added a bit of cabbage to my vegetable soup or even split pea because I think it adds just a bit of umami that you don't recognize (in those) as "cabbage".

however it was this son who made the Louisiana BBQ shrimp at Christmas which DOES call for a LOT of butter and NO one complained--as you say!! LOL

I use a danish whisk for the meat crumbling. I actually use it for so many things. It is maybe my favorite kitchen tool other than a good knife.
Interesting! I got one when I started doing bread, but I’ve never once used it.

Interesting! I got one when I started doing bread, but I’ve never once used it.
That is why I originally purchased one too. It works great for that. I've also used it to mash potatoes. And when I am searing something and deglazing it works great for that too.

danish whisk,
You are my addiction,
My weakness, my strength.
You are my everything,
Nothing can ever replace you.
How do I love thee, let me count the ways.

I will never be without one of these semi-unitaskers again! Almost 50k reviews just proves this is an essential gadget. Mine was a different brand that I can't find on Amazon anymore but this one actually looks like it might be a little better. Might have to order it and gift my used one to DD, lol. Meat Masher Upper

Back