Does anyone have old Bon Appetit s ? I made the CELEBRATION CAKE BON APPETIT - MAY 1979 8 to 10 servings 8 ounces shelled hazelnuts, toasted

Marg CDN

cake in about 1984. It was so well-received that guests were stunned to learn that it did not come from a serious bakery. I am not a cake decorator so don't know what I did with it. I recall that it did look good. Surpising for me. There was a photo in the mag but in all the iterations of this recipe, my collection does not include the photo, odd for me. I don't want it to look like a frump for Christmas. Just thought if anyone saves these mags, the photo might be available. I have thoroughly scoured the internet and there are marjolaine recipes in Epicurious but this particular recipe states not to ice the top but use icing sugar only. Can't imagine I would have done that.

huh...I had to look up the word "marjolaine". It's a dacquoise cake, which I have made before. And most of those (including the hazelnut versions) top off the cake with ganache and a sprinkling of nuts.

Here is one version:

Ganache:​

12 ounces (350 g) dark chocolate (65 percent cacao), finely chopped
1¼ cups plus 3 tablespoons (350 ml) whipping cream (35 percent butterfat)

Step 6​

To make the ganache, put the chocolate in a bowl. In a small saucepan, bring the cream to a boil and pour it over the chocolate. Let sit for 3 minutes, then whisk until smooth. Let the ganache sit for 20 minutes at room temperature to firm up a bit. You can make ganache up to the 3 days ahead and refrigerate. Bring back to room temp to use.

Marg, if your cake version ends with a buttercream at the top, then refrigerate it until very firm and then warm ganache (10 seconds, no more) and slowly pour over the cake set on a wire cooling rack. Chill to firm up ganache and then, lifting carefully, move to serving dish.

Good luck!

that is how the inside looks, with different flavourings. Thanks Maria. Although I think this one is sponge layers rather than dacquoise. There was a photo with the recipe, of the outside of the cake all dressed up. I have to get going on this as it actually is a 2-day prep and I recall having to take a day off work to produce it. I think I will just caramelize some hazelnuts and sit them on choc rosettes, maybe some silver balls. It needs to look good as people may not want to actually eat it after a huge turkey dinner.
huh...I had to look up the word "marjolaine". It's a dacquoise cake, which I have made before. And most of those (including the hazelnut versions) top off the cake with ganache and a sprinkling of nuts.

Here is one version:

Ganache:​

12 ounces (350 g) dark chocolate (65 percent cacao), finely chopped
1¼ cups plus 3 tablespoons (350 ml) whipping cream (35 percent butterfat)

Step 6​

To make the ganache, put the chocolate in a bowl. In a small saucepan, bring the cream to a boil and pour it over the chocolate. Let sit for 3 minutes, then whisk until smooth. Let the ganache sit for 20 minutes at room temperature to firm up a bit. You can make ganache up to the 3 days ahead and refrigerate. Bring back to room temp to use.

Marg, if your cake version ends with a buttercream at the top, then refrigerate it until very firm and then warm ganache (10 seconds, no more) and slowly pour over the cake set on a wire cooling rack. Chill to firm up ganache and then, lifting carefully, move to serving dish.

Good luck!
Luck works. The one I made had a chocolate surface all over, as I recall, although the recipe says to use only icing sugar to dust the top. The toppestmost layer is dacquoise. I know it looked really good and can't recall why. It was only 40 years ago. Whatever did I do................

And some useless info: marjolaine is basically a dacquoise made with chocolate. I used to buy hazelnut powder in France but here in this little city, I am thrilled to find a hazelnut. And the one cake-decorating store closed.

Thanks Marilyn, I will probably just do a ganache over the exterior.

Back